Got a new HDTV? Post it here.

I know.. I meant to put a whole thing about at the time the 6 series samsung had better PQ results that the current Sony line(otherwise I would have paid the $$ for the Sony).. but then i thought I had typed enough.. i was wrong.. lol.. just should have added that..

Oh come on. Samsung IS better than Sony. Just kidding. They're both have their pros and cons. It all comes down to personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What brand/model did you get? Is it an LCD or Plasma?

Samsung LE40A656, LCD

2. What size is it? Are you satisfied with the size?

40". Yeah, i'm satisfied with the size. Fits the room perfectly.

3. What convinced you to purchase this particular model?

FullHD (not that necessary with 40", i know), 100Hz (not that important according to some), slick design, Samsung 100% guarantee, connectivity. Last, but definitely not least, the prize. Went to the shop on christmas day and was one of the lucky few who got their hands on one for 9000SEK (like 1100USD).

4. What do you like best about your TV?

The design and the ability to tune the picture the way you want to.

5. What don't you like about your LCD?

Perhaps I'll outgrow it. 46" might have been a better choice. It came down to the budget though... as always.

6. What "Feature(s)" do you wish your TV had?

The ability to customize the signal switcher. If I don't use EXT1 or EXT2, why do I have to cycle through them to get to HDMI1 and HDMI2?

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your TV?

The surprisingly high picture quality with the analog TV signal.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your TV?

Can't set it to "Just scan" (as opposed to Auto Wide, 16:9, 4:3, Zoom) when using 1080/60p. Perhaps it's a thechnicality I don't yet understand :)

9. Was it worth the money?

Totally.

10. Any additional information that you want to add?

Amazing performance if you like the design.

Also, it needs to be tuned accordingly. Here's a great guide that probably works on 46" as well: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A656/Settings.htm

• 6 months later...
post-42644-1229370184.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but my old TV just took a dump on me, and this was the exact model I'm looking to get (no need to pay extra for 120Hz when it doesn't do much at the moment). Just wanted to see if you were still happy with the purchase 6 months after the fact? And does Bravia sync work with a PS3?

Can't set it to "Just scan" (as opposed to Auto Wide, 16:9, 4:3, Zoom) when using 1080/60p. Perhaps it's a thechnicality I don't yet understand :)

I have ?Just Scan? on my TV but I never use it. Two reasons why:

1) Some, but very few, videos have some noise on the very top or bottom of the picture. By turning Just Scan off, the TV will have a slight overscan and will hide that.

2) A lot of movies (and I do mean A LOT) do not have a perfect 1.78:1 aspect ratio. So most of the time, you?ll get a very tiny black bar on the top and/or bottom of the picture. Again, like in #1, the overscan will remove those.

A lot of people prefer to have no overscan whatsoever, but I like it so long as it doesn?t cut off too much of the picture. Besides, the overscan on LCDs are no where near as bad as CRTs.

Samsung HP-S4253 42-Inch Plasma HDTV

5. What don't you like about your TV?

Some discoloration (blue pixels or something), burn-in problems, 1024x768 720p resolution

Some burn-in, speakers occasionally don't work, some image problems (flickering blue pixels all across the display)

Dude that so damn scary... i had that exact same HDTV, with those exact same issues with it. I gave it to my mother in law and got this

Panasonic Viera NeoPDP P42S10 1080/24p

42". Abso****inglutely

Good combination of price (?747.50 on a ?999.99 rrp, favour aka cost price discount from a friend who owns a panasonic store xD), amazing picture quality.4. What do you like best about your TV?b>

Excellent image clarity, 3 hdmi, and the sd card slot surprised me in how handy its now become.5. What don't you like about your TV?b>

it's 4 weeks old, but nothing at all as of yet. Maybe when "new toy syndrome" wears off. The built in speakers are pretty naff though.6. What "Feature(s)" do you wish your TV had?b>

I don't think there is much else to add to it's hefty spec is there!?7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your TV?b>

It's visual beauty on the desk from the bed8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your TV?b>

As i said @ 5, the speakers onboard are really really crappy9. Was it worth the money?b>

Haha, uhh.. yeah 10. Any additional information that you want to add?b>

If you're looking for a new TV under ?1,000 with a hefty set of features, go check it out clicky

Edited by chrispinto

Dude that so damn scary... i had that exact same HDTV, with those exact same issues with it. I gave it to my mother in law and got this

Hearing about those issues is even scarier. Discoloration? Speakers occasionally don't work? Some image problems> That's not normal at all. I guess Samsung is good with LCDs, but not Plasmas.

1. What brand/model did you get? Is it an LCD or Plasma? Proscan LCD

2. What size is it? Are you satisfied with the size? 40 inch

3. What convinced you to purchase this particular model? Price, $499.00

4. What do you like best about your TV? Multiple HDMI, old lcd didnt have but one

5. What don't you like about your LCD? Buttons on side, got used to them being on front of old tv

6. What "Feature(s)" do you wish your TV had? hmmmm has all of what I needed it for

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your TV? Much better pic quality than i figured it would have for the price

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your TV? none yet, its only been a week lol

9. Was it worth the money? i feel it was very worth the money

10. Any additional information that you want to add? got it at bestbuy, 1080p, 3hdmi

post-47782-1247365086_thumb.jpg

Sony Bravia KDL-37W5710 (1080p/24)

37 inch, was about the most I could get away with in this room so yes :)

Sony branding, seemingly reasonable price.

100 Mhz Motionflow and the sheer quality of picture

Slow XMB menus, OSD seems lesser resolution than parents EX series (amazing wireless set)

Wireless would have been nice, but its positioning at the moment has no need for it.

I used to think my 20 inch monitor was enough :rofl:

post-110545-1247366814_thumb.jpg

None

I think so, ?810 with 5 year warranty. Carried out the store myself and 5710 model being store exclusive too. Price in store of ?1100 plus ?300 for the 5 year warranty. Pointed out I could buy the standard 37 inch model for ?780 online at the time, they offered that for ?810 and 5 years so snapped it up10. Any additional information that you want to add??

Would certainly recommend this model to people, very nice and easy to set up.

Soniq, if my set is anything to go by with its Bravia Sync option then no it doesn't function with the PS3, don't forget that the PS3 uses Bluetooth for signal not standard IR like TV and most other components.

Edited by AbandonedTrolley

Got this TV back in January and didn't know about this thread until now. :blush:

Toshiba Regza 32CV510U LCD

32". Yep, perfect size for the bedroom.

Price.

Plenty of inputs and picture quality.

Backlight bleed at the corners.

Ability to play Divx/Xvid directly from a external/usb drive.

That it wasn't broken, it was shipped via UPS. :p

None, other than the red being a little too red, but was easily fixed in the color settings.

Yep, $480 + Free Shipping from Newegg

10. Any additional information that you want to add?

Nope