Which blue-ray dvd player?

Why are all these blue-ray players different prices?

I keep hearing that some players load DVDs faster than others. Is that a big deal?

which blue-ray player do you guys/gals prefer? (200-250$)

My dad doesn't like the PS3 because it's a Sony. He hates that company and refuses to buy that brand.

Even though the quality of their TV's and sound systems are known to be high quality?

Even though the quality of their TV's and sound systems are known to be high quality?

Yup, he's a devout Catholic. So, ever since they made "The DaVinci Code" movie, he became Anti-Sony for life.

i keep hearing the same thing about the ps3..but im sure my mom wouldnt want a ps3 for christmas ;)

Err...why not? A PS3 with a Blu-ray remote is an extremely good Blu-ray player, it's future proof due to software updates, and it does other stuff (internet access, streaming music, pictures and videos from USB devices etc...). Hi-Def enthusiast publications constantly rank it highest in tests, and it's also one of the cheapest Blu-ray players around. Bit of a no-brainer really.

Yup, he's a devout Catholic. So, ever since they made "The DaVinci Code" movie, he became Anti-Sony for life.

Wouldn't it make more sense to direct his hatred at Dan Brown? He was the one that wrote the book, not Sony.

My dad doesn't like the PS3 because it's a Sony. He hates that company and refuses to buy that brand.

That's just silly, as mentioned Sony have some of the best quality screens out there.

One thing I would say though is that given the recent drive failings I've been reading about it would be interesting to see if this happens on PS3's used solely as a BR player.

Wouldn't it make more sense to direct his hatred at Dan Brown? He was the one that wrote the book, not Sony.

It would, but I guess he thinks that Sony could've refuse to make the movie, but they didn't. This is why some religious people, not all, go too far with their faith. They go too far that sometimes their logic doesn't make sense. It's annoying too because if he ever found out that 80% of my electronics are Sony, he'd flip.

I also hear good things about Samsungs, I don't know about their players much but they tend to do good quality at a good price.

Samsung is only good with TVs. Everything else they make is garbage. I've read a lot of reviews on Samsung DVD players and there were A LOT of complaints.

One thing I would say though is that given the recent drive failings I've been reading about it would be interesting to see if this happens on PS3's used solely as a BR player.

My PS3 is used as a BR player only, best BR player at the time, for the money. I never had any problem with it, works 100%. The only problem of using a PS3 as a movie player is the FAN noise. The PS3 does get HOT just playing movies, so the fan goes on and off. Since my PS3 is in a open air cabinet, I do get annoyed by the noise, more so when I want to watch a movie but don't want to blast the sound too high.

I had a Samsung BD-P1400 blu ray player and yes it wasn't the best thing going, slooooow to load and start, just brought a new Samsung BD-P1500 and it is a massive improvement.

So not all Samsung equipment is garbage.

I run a 40" Samsung 1080p screen, Samsung AV-R720 AV AMP through Samsung 5.1 speakers and couldn't be happier with the setup.

Not that I'm a Samsung fanboy in any way ;)

PS3.

It hasn't an underpowered CPU, as such it makes discs start up very fast (the Java crap on it). It's futureproof since it can be updated extensively via software. And it has a whole lot of vector processing power (cell cores) allowing it to do very high quality upscaling on your old stuff. Plus it supports UPnP and DivX, allowing you to watch movies from USB sticks or over the network via DLNA. Plus gaming. Plus WebTV if you're willing to buy a Bluetooth keyboard. Plus more stuff I forgot.

PS3.

It hasn't an underpowered CPU, as such it makes discs start up very fast (the Java crap on it). It's futureproof since it can be updated extensively via software. And it has a whole lot of vector processing power (cell cores) allowing it to do very high quality upscaling on your old stuff. Plus it supports UPnP and DivX, allowing you to watch movies from USB sticks or over the network via DLNA. Plus gaming. Plus WebTV if you're willing to buy a Bluetooth keyboard. Plus more stuff I forgot.

All that is very good stuff but it doesn't output Dolby True-HD or DTS Master HD via bitstream for a suitably expensive receiver to decode but insists on decoding the audio itself and passing it as PCM via the HDMI connection... not good IMHO.

All that is very good stuff but it doesn't output Dolby True-HD or DTS Master HD via bitstream for a suitably expensive receiver to decode but insists on decoding the audio itself and passing it as PCM via the HDMI connection... not good IMHO.

It still does that? Thank you, that makes sure I don't buy it as a BD player. I'm looking to get a new receiver and can't be bothered with small details like it NOT outputting the flippin' signal.

It still does that? Thank you, that makes sure I don't buy it as a BD player. I'm looking to get a new receiver and can't be bothered with small details like it NOT outputting the flippin' signal.

As far as I can work out from all of the research I have done. Would be nice to have a confirmation from a PS3 owner with the right kit.

Apart from that it sounds like the ideal BD player - but that detail is mighty important given the investment in decoding hardware I have already made.

i have 2 samsung lcd tvs..so i was looking into the BDP-1500 or the sony BDPs350

which one out of those two?

No contest - the Sony

No contest - the Sony

Yeah, I got the BDP-1500 free with my Samsung TV.. I haven't got a Bluray movie yet, but I chucked in a dvd and every time it would change chapter the tv would think that the player had been switched off and bring up the "Searching for Sources" screen. Perhaps its just something isn't setup right, I haven't used it since, went back to using the 360 until I start getting some Blu ray movies. :)

And where is the problem with that? In what way would the PS3 decode the data differently than the receiver? If you'd care about DRC data reaching the receiver, then maybe. But anyone wanting 5.1+ sound wouldn't enable it to begin with.

--edit: Actually reading that other thread, you guys should be open arms regarding the decoding stage being on the PS3. Bit errors on a PCM stream are less noticeable than on a compressed bitstream!