Fortune puts Blu-Ray on the top 9 tech flops of the year

It kind of was a flop this year. Doesn't mean it's going to stay that way though.

I mean, HDDVD lost in like January. It's December now and Bluray still hasn't seen anything significant in the way of market penetration and it has no competition in the HD market. I think it'll start picking up once the economy starts picking up again and people are fine with buying things again.

-Spenser

Fact is it's the only physical medium for HD, the media and everyone and their dog can bark on about it being a flop all they want, but if you have an HDTV and want an HD movie collection, you'll be going Blu Ray.

Unless you go strictly download, but then watch your bandwith, have fun paying silly prices (digital distribution can easily be beaten by retail many times), and of course for those that care, quality online isn't up to snuff with physical in audio or video, nor does it have extras.

I think the Dark Night Blu Ray sales show there's nothing wrong with the format, it's just in the process of building upon itself and will only get larger.

Quite frankly I don't give a hoot if it coincides with DVD forever, and never annihilates it - It's how I watch my films in HD, if you think SD is good enough, kudos for you! However it's my only real choice right now for HD, and for many others. It's not going anywhere and there's nothing wrong with both formats being on the market so I wish everyone would stop crying about it like we can only support standard def OR high def, not both.

If you believe it can only be one, take your head out of your ass, stop being a blind loyalty supporter and just let people have choice in the home movie market. Some people like HD, some people like SD, will always be that way until they day of the potential of no one owning an SD sourced TV anymore.

Edited by Audioboxer

Flops can be due to any reason. Blu-Ray isn't as successful as it should be for a few reasons:

The war with HD-DVD turned off many consumers who still are iffy about what the "next thing" is.

Cost of discs / players is too high in this economic cycle

Happy with DVD still or an upconverting player that looks good on the HDTV

Blu-ray is fast approaching it's high before starting to fall back, digital downloads is the way to go now!

No, just no.

Give people choice.

Absolutely no need to castrate the market and force people out of the choice of having physical copies.

Perhaps after the start of this next year when all the tv companies switch to high definition forcing most people to upgrade their tvs? If you're looking for a new HDTV why not pick up a new dvd player as well.

You guys realize that the article says Sony's Blu-Ray Player is a flop. They were not talking about Blu-Ray in general.

At last some one who knows how to read, and english is not my primary language :rolleyes:

Sony Blu-ray DVD player

Edited by Draken

Perhaps after the start of this next year when all the tv companies switch to high definition forcing most people to upgrade their tvs? If you're looking for a new HDTV why not pick up a new dvd player as well.

Uhm, they're switching to digital transition over the air.. not forcing people to use high definition broadcasts...

You guys realize that the article says Sony's Blu-Ray Player is a flop. They were not talking about Blu-Ray in general.

Thank god at least on decided to read the entire thing before replying :p

Blu-ray is fast approaching it's high before starting to fall back, digital downloads is the way to go now!

I love downloads more than any other method. However, downloading uncompressed 1080p videos is simply unrealistic on today's broadband. 720p is fine, but some like to get the best picture possible :)

talk about getting really fast internet connection just for movies. you need to know that NOT everyone has DSL or Cable or even T1. some ppl are still using dial-up. it is really sad indeed.

Maybe if xraffle didn't make up completely whack titles then :laugh:

Blame him, not us :alien:

This list is complete BS. How can they label Sony's Blu-Ray players as a failure yet fail to even mention the PS3. The PS3 included that "failure" as a feature. At least Blu-Ray has quite a bit more movies than PS3's have games lol.

No chance. Internet connections are nowhere near fast enough to be able to deliver full 1080p movies yet. When we get GB internet connections in our homes, then it'll be ready. But for now, Blu-Ray is the way to go. It's gonna get bigger in 2009, I'm sure of that.