Monster Cable HDMI Scam

Is what I described in my second paragraph. This is not error correction.
Forward error correction is still error correction.

You are correct in that there is no re-transmission of data, and I wouldn't claim otherwise.

I think any differences you've assumed us to have on this manner is only semantical.

:/

i was in Comet the other day and someone was looking for a macbook, there was a white one and an alu one and the guy couldnt choose - he didnt need graphics tho he occasionally plays a game or two (he said) and the sales guy said that he NEEDED the graphics card in the alu macbook to run office and email. at this point i decided it was horrid to do this to the guy so i slipped in while the sales guy went off to get paper work and told the customer that apple had just released the white macbooks with the graphics card that are in the alu ones for the same price on their website and to get that as the specs were much better for the same price. he did.

Yes, that's how I feel.

So you finally realized how ridiculous your arguments have been? That's a relief.

There is no difference in the digital signal regardless of what cable you use. Using error correction does not change the end result in any way. People have tried explaining all of this to you over and over and you just don't seem to get it. Sorry but you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Either that or you're a shill, or a really great troll.

Yes, that's how I feel.
I completely understand this is an emotional, "feeling" thing for you, Joel. It's this way for most audio/video-"philes".

I'm just surprised that no amount of reason can win over those emotions; it's rather disappointing.

i used to work for an electronics retailer that sold monster.

the reason they push selling it is because its high margin. dvd players are not, like not even close. a retailer will make maybe $2 or $3 on a dvd player nowadays. so to make up for that they sell high margin accessories. cables/etc.

the deal monster makes with retailers is they have to sell a certain amount of it each month/year or they dont get to sell it at all. because its the only way to make money on a dvd player sale for example, (besides extended warranties), retails dont want to loose it. so usually they will require their sales employees to reach a quota each month. this is how the whole monster sales thing works..

then to go along with it monster will hold training seminars for the sales people. in which they hype up their products. explain the sales pitches to sell it. then give away tons of free stuff to everyone who comes. which i must say, when i went was pretty cool. but in the end it sorta brainwashes these sales people to sell their products.

but in the end i knew the stuff was crap, however i sold it. 1 because i wanted to keep my job. 2. i worked on commission and could make $5 on a $35 cable. sell a dvd player, cable and extended warranty. and you just made $10 on a $100 sale. thats not to bad for 10 minutes of work.

so its like everyone says. the stuff is no different then regular cheap cables. but the average electronics consumer doesnt know this. heck, the average consumer probably doesnt even know how to look this stuff up on the internet. this is why the stuff sells.

but its good to have these types of consumers too. if they didnt blow all their money on crap accessories and extended warranties, then these retailers would all be out of business. then where would i go to buy my electronics!

so in closing, thanks all you idiots out there. :p

Yup, that must be it. All hail digital!!! The infallible!!!

Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm aside, you're right actually. A digital signal will work just as well with a cheap HDMI cable as it will with an overpriced magical fairy dust cable. As I said people have tried to explain to you how it works but you either truly don't understand or don't want to listen. Fine by me, it's obvious you're too closed minded and immature to listen to reasonable explanations so by all means enjoy your expensive placebo cables.

Forward error correction is still error correction.

Yes, but this isn't forward error correction. There is no redundant data added that can be used to correct errors, the packets are simply optimized for the medium they are being transmitted over.

The notion that digital transmissions always utilize error correction is, as I've said, incorrect.

Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm aside, you're right actually. A digital signal will work just as well with a cheap HDMI cable as it will with an overpriced magical fairy dust cable. As I said people have tried to explain to you how it works but you either truly don't understand or don't want to listen. Fine by me, it's obvious you're too closed minded and immature to listen to reasonable explanations so by all means enjoy your expensive placebo cables.
Wow there's a whole lot of stupid in this thread.

For the last time Monster cables are a ****ing rip off.

END OF STORY.

I don't actually remember ANYONE saying that Monster cables were worth more, or were better than anything else, in this thread. I certainly didn't say that. In fact, I specifically SAID I wasn't saying that. Some people might want to go back and reread the thread.

Going by Joel, all digital transmissions would have to trip over themselves. Yet we're not seeing this. Megabits and gigabits per second are transmitted over all sort of copper runs in all sort of EM noisy environments, all working just goddamn fine. Except ****ing HDMI, which is a tool of the devil...

Christ, this whole thread is a farce.

Going by Joel, all digital transmissions would have to trip over themselves. Yet we're not seeing this. Megabits and gigabits per second are transmitted over all sort of copper runs in all sort of EM noisy environments, all working just goddamn fine. Except ****ing HDMI, which is a tool of the devil...

See, no one ever said that there was anything wrong with HDMI. No one said that there was anything wrong with CAT5 Ethernet cable (which loses tons of data, but that means nothing apparently). All I have EVER said was; don't say cable is infallible, just because it's digital.

Wow there's a whole lot of stupid in this thread.

For the last time Monster cables are a ****ing rip off.

END OF STORY.

So, you're saying Monster has bad quality? As a matter of fact, they have excellent quality. If you can afford them, I don't see why people shouldn't buy them.

So, you're saying Monster has bad quality? As a matter of fact, they have excellent quality. If you can afford them, I don't see why people shouldn't buy them.

Because they're not worth the money. Their sale price grossly outweighs any possible advantage over other cables. The build quality is good, though. Means not much in the end for the audio/video.

After reading some of this thread, I've realized that outside the audio/video phile genre of people...most people buying these cables would give us a blank stare.

I agree that Monster Cables, while made well, are too much $ for me at this point. If you can afford to spend that much, by all means buy Monster. Otherwise, stick with what

you can afford and enjoy the HD/5.17/7.1 or whatever you will use it for at home.

I feel that if I'm getting similar (read: not exact same) performance from $1.99 gas that isn't harming my engine, but I could get $3.99 gas that "may/may not" be better, I'd stick with the prior.