• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Monster Cable HDMI Scam

Joel    27

Look, I'm not the only poor, uneducated sap who says that all cables are not the same; there have been numerous tests that prove there are differences, and that's all I've been saying.

+Audioboxer    2,876
I agree that they are functionally identical. Created equally is a figure of speech - meaning that they are the same in terms of function and quality. Function I will agree with, quality I won't.

There are better $10 cables out there and there are worse $10 cables out there. Do you agree with that?

Yes, some might be manufactured with diamond dust, others with copper dust from a rusty barn door.

If they both do exactly the same thing functionality wise though, why do I care?

I don't invite people into my house and say "hey guys, check out my $100 diamond encrusted HDMI cable".

There is no fashion statement to attach to an HDMI cable :laugh:

Maybe if you want to buy a black shirt, one is a no brand $10 shirt, the other a $100 Guicci shirt, you'd want to flaunt off your style/wealth and spend the extra cash.

For an HDMI cable though, I'd rather just buy one that works, and spend the rest of that $90 on movies/games to use on my setup.

icey123    0

Copper is Copper.. No matter what's done to it, the only difference is how clean the copper is.. there's no need for the ridiculous price..

I know this isnt an HDMI Cable.. but its still Monster Cable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORlhzESWzs

And this IS about Monster Cable HDMI

hdood    145

Maybe if you want to buy a black shirt, one is a no brand $10 shirt, the other a $100 Guicci shirt, you'd want to flaunt it off and spend the extra cash.

There is. Plenty of people have very elaborate and visible home theater setups. Having expensive components make them feel good and gives them something to show off and brag about.

+Fahim S.    1,088
Yes, some might be manufactured with diamond dust, others with copper dust from a rusty barn door.

If they both do exactly the same thing functionality wise though, why do I care?

I don't invite people into my house and say "hey guys, check out my $100 diamond encrusted HDMI cable".

Maybe if you want to buy a black shirt, one is a no brand $10 shirt, the other a $100 Guicci shirt, you'd want to flaunt off your style/wealth and spend the extra cash.

Ok that's like saying that there is no such thing as quality...

A Dell is the same as a custom PC built with high quality parts?

A TN Panel is the same as any other panel technology?

A Porsche is the same as a Ford?

Each of them are functionally identical, but not in terms of quality...

Same applies to cables.

Glowstick    3
Have you ever seen a digital input report how many errors PER SECOND it's dealing with when playing a CD?

Yet you don't have any data errors, do you? I don't hear any screeching noises playing back CDs. God bless error correction. But hey, keep going at it. If digital transmission is as unreliable as you claim, I have to see data corruption just on about every digital device. Yet I don't.

+Audioboxer    2,876
There is. Plenty of people have very elaborate and visible home theater setups. Having expensive components make them feel good and gives them something to show off and brag about.

Brag about your 120" TV, your top end speaker system, your luxurious leather couches, your massive DVD/Blu Ray collection... but seriously, bragging about an HDMI cable?

:laugh:

Actually, I think the opposite happens when you brag about having a monster cable, even those on all the top AV forums, don't join in and say "woah awesome, a Monster cable". You'll usually always get a lesson on how much money you've just thrown down a drain.

Sethos    270
Brag about your 120" TV, your top end speaker system, your luxurious leather couches, your massive DVD/Blu Ray collection... but seriously, bragging about an HDMI cable?

It gets you the ladies

icey123    0

Actually, I think the opposite happens when you brag about having a monster cable, even those on all the top AV forums, don't join in and say "woah awesome, a Monster cable". You'll usually always get a lesson on how much money you've just thrown down a drain.

Yep, sad people... a $12 HDMI Cable is the EXACT same quality as a $250 and $120 HDMI Cable... test done by a professional broadcast company with professional equipment.

It's like people who brag about their $5000 Bose system.

+Audioboxer    2,876
It gets you the ladies

Actually, my cabling does get me the ladies :shiftyninja:

hdood    145
Brag about your 120" TV, your top end speaker system, your luxurious leather couches, your massive DVD/Blu Ray collection...

I would, but I ran out of money buying $300/ft audiophile power cables and never got to buy a TV.

Sethos    270
I would, but I ran out of money buying $300/ft audiophile power cables and never got to buy a TV.

I would've gone for the audiophile coat-hangers

FiB3R    1,663
It's like people who brag about their $5000 Bose system.

I think that's actually brag worthy. (Within that price range)

+Audioboxer    2,876
Copper is Copper.. No matter what's done to it, the only difference is how clean the copper is.. there's no need for the ridiculous price..

I know this isnt an HDMI Cable.. but its still Monster Cable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORlhzESWzs

And this IS about Monster Cable HDMI

Second one is an interesting watch :yes:

"It gives you the best signal... You want to go lower? I can guarantee you if you plug this one, it will give you the best signal"

"What do you mean by best signal?"

"I can guarantee you if you plug this one in besides the Monster cable, you'll see a big difference in terms of performance, quality, colour, everything... even sound"

Damn that's cringe worthy :laugh:

The best buys house brand $40 cable..

"We market it at that for a reason, it's crap"

Oh and then, the results, interesting indeed ;)

All 3 cables done the same when tested on proper testing equipment, oh my :o Surprise!

So, $12 vs $110 vs $262, your choice!

icey123    0
I think that's actually brag worthy. (Within that price range)

Any audiophile would laugh in your face if you paid $5000 for a Bose system.

I am Reid    45

Why are people try to compare an HDMI cable to CD's? They are not comparable, and thats a horrible argument to even attempt to make. You basically cant come up with anything, so you just throw out some other technology that is digital and has had an analog counterpart thinking that HDMI somehow equals CD's like CD's are comparable to Records. Whats next, sliced bread and french fries?

DaDude    46

I bought a Monster HDMI Cable, but I got it on sale at RadioShack for $25. I know I overpaid for it, but I needed an HDMI cable right away because I bought my HDTV spare of the moment when I saw it on sale. I ordered a second one (non-Monster) on Ebay for $6. I haven't tested it. I just ordered it in case I need another one later on.

TEX4S    116

any audiophile will laugh in your face if you have anything BOSE -

BOSE are for people who dont know any better - kinda like Monster Cables

No highs ? No lows ? must be BOSE

icey123    0
any audiophile will laugh in your face if you have anything BOSE -

BOSE are for people who dont know any better - kinda like Monster Cables

No highs ? No lows ? must be BOSE

Yep.

Joel    27
Yet you don't have any data errors, do you? I don't hear any screeching noises playing back CDs. God bless error correction. But hey, keep going at it. If digital transmission is as unreliable as you claim, I have to see data corruption just on about every digital device. Yet I don't.

The less it has to correct, that much more of the original signal is being received. Original signal = better.

Why are people try to compare an HDMI cable to CD's? They are not comparable, and thats a horrible argument to even attempt to make. You basically cant come up with anything, so you just throw out some other technology that is digital and has had an analog counterpart thinking that HDMI somehow equals CD's like CD's are comparable to Records. Whats next, sliced bread and french fries?

You must not have bothered to read exactly why I mentioned CDs. Would you like to go back and try again?

hdood    145
The less it has to correct, that much more of the original signal is being received. Original signal = better.

Dude, error correction is not based on guesswork, it is based on extra information being added to the signal at the source that can be used by the receiving end to fix errors and reconstruct the signal up to a certain point. The repaired signal is 100% identical to the original signal. They are one and the same. Identical. The same. No difference. Indistinguishable.

Less noise is obviously always desirable since there is always the risk that you could have errors that can't be corrected, and the properties of various cables do wary, but cheap cables work just fine under normal conditions (and it's not automatically given that more expensive equals better even in extremes).

Glowstick    3

The corrected signal is the original signal. There's no such thing as approximations in digital error correction. Either the thing corrects to its original form or not at all.

In case that flies over your head, the error correction data doesn't come from anywhere. These 8 bits that are being transmitted are being padded with additional data for error correction. It doesn't come out of thin air. Like the CD. On disc, a byte is actually 14 bits. 8 bit data and 6 bit for error correction. On DVDs it's still 12bit plus a better ECC.

And on transports like HDMI, it's similar.

This isn't like the analogue world, where you can interpolate things out of nothing. A single broken bit in a MPEG stream means a broken macro block or motion vector, doing more damage than a single pixel.

Edited by Tom Servo

hdood    145

It isn't, Tom, so the whole error correction thing is a bit of a derail that Joel started because, well, who knows. I've kind of lost track of what is being discussed, it's just a mix of unrelated things.

The HDMI video signal is uncompressed and spewed out pixel by pixel with no error correction. Errors affect it on a pixel-by-pixel level. It just isn't considered a problem because of the nature of the media (as long as the error count isn't massive it won't be noticed by viewers) and because cables are normally up to it. It is never converted to analog and as long as both cables can transmit the signal without errors, there are no differences between a $15 and $150 cable.

danisflying527    5

People should really search before they purchase =/