• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Monster Cable HDMI Scam

KreepLX360    0

This is so true. I went to Fry's a couple weeks ago and they were trying to sell this a guy some sort of gold plated fiber optic cable for $80. The package even said that it was gold plated for maximum performance. I mean come on!!! With digital products, it either works or it doesn't. This goes toe to toe with the premium HDMI cables. I have had the $4 cheap cables and they have problems establishing connections but that is mostly a hardware quality issue. The ignorance of people and the willingness to waste money is a tradition that consumers will follow indefinitely.

I cant help but laugh still at this. Im at Best Buy yesterday looking at some Upconvert DVD players as a spare for my apartment. I see an older guy looking around at some also and is being helped by a Best Buy Associate. Well as the guy makes his decision on a DVD player the associate tells him that he probably should get one of the Monster HDMI cables as well for the best picture quality. The price $80 for the 6 series and $115 for the 8 series and this associate is trying to get the poor guy to buy one of them. I so wanted to interject and tell this guy to go for another store for a $20 cable. Its a freakin digital signal and to top it off the associate takes the guy over to a demonstration area to show the difference between Monster HDMI versus the off brand HDMI. The guy is convinced after the demonstration to get the Monster. Just to see after both left I looked behind the TVs and noticed that one had Monster HDMI while the other was just composite NOT an offbrand HDMI. That should be illegal in so many ways.

Why does MONSTER do this?

goji    30
But wow! I didn't know that BOSE was so universally regarded as being crap. I had a little search and it definitely seems to be the general consensus. I was under the impression that they made quality products.

But surely they're not as big a rip off as MONSTER?

Learn something new every day don't ya? ;)

P.S. yes, they are in the same boat.

+Human.Online    8,610

If it is 100% impossible for a cable adversely affect a digital signal - why do most protocols and standards include some form of error correction or data validation?

But I agree that it's a ripoff. I tend to use cables from places like Maplin (Radio Shack type place) and have never had any issues.

I also remember the BS we were fed by the switch to CD. "Drill a hole anywhere on the disk, and the sound won't stop - error correction takes care of it"... Really...

ahhell    1,303

Monster doesn't use more expensive parts...they use more expensive SOUNDING parts. It all fancy marketing speak. Just like the above mentioned BOSE.

Pure scams.

Sam    22
I also remember the BS we were fed by the switch to CD. "Drill a hole anywhere on the disk, and the sound won't stop - error correction takes care of it"... Really...

That does work, atleast depending on the size of said hole.

Southern Patriot    937
If it is 100% impossible for a cable adversely affect a digital signal - why do most protocols and standards include some form of error correction or data validation?

You kind of answered your own question. Cables can't adversely affect a digital signal BECAUSE of the error correction.

Lexcyn    88
This is so true. I went to Fry's a couple weeks ago and they were trying to sell this a guy some sort of gold plated fiber optic cable for $80. The package even said that it was gold plated for maximum performance. I mean come on!!! With digital products, it either works or it doesn't. This goes toe to toe with the premium HDMI cables. I have had the $4 cheap cables and they have problems establishing connections but that is mostly a hardware quality issue. The ignorance of people and the willingness to waste money is a tradition that consumers will follow indefinitely.

WTF? Gold plated fibre cable? That doesn't even make sense lol. That guy must have been mad.

barkerja    0

Next time in Best Buy I'm going to do everything I can to provoke a rep to try this test on me.. and then I will punk him out by looking at the cables and asking him why they're not the same type (composite vs. HDMI)

Sethos    270

Someone should just change the cables in the store, make the Monster image-quality look like ass :laugh:

barkerja    0
Someone should just change the cables in the store, make the Monster image-quality look like ass :laugh:

That's a great idea.

jerzdawg    338
http://gizmodo.com/5119861/best-buy-turns-...bration-service

Not sure if it was already posted in this thread...

that should not have changed the image quality that much... if it was a bluray source it would be 1080p vs 1080i which should not show such a huge difference that someone would go out and purchase the best buy tv calibration service..

bangbang023    31
Next time in Best Buy I'm going to do everything I can to provoke a rep to try this test on me.. and then I will punk him out by looking at the cables and asking him why they're not the same type (composite vs. HDMI)

Except most stores wouldn't even compare the two side by side. It's not an officially sanctioned display.

CrisCr0ss    2

they sell that cable because it has the biggest profit margin for FS/BB

I had a friend who worked there and he would get the actual price of the item versus how much its sold, and Monstor Cables are $10. If you know someone who works at FS/BB you can get them for $10.

bangbang023    31
they sell that cable because it has the biggest profit margin for FS/BB

I had a friend who worked there and he would get the actual price of the item versus how much its sold, and Monstor Cables are $10. If you know someone who works at FS/BB you can get them for $10.

Nope. Monster Cables do have a high markup, but not nearly that high. If you're looking for the highest markup, percentage wise, the BB brand cables such as Dynex and Rocketfish are much more profitable for Best Buy. I can't divulge numbers because I'm still employed there, but trust me.

+Audioboxer    2,876
I can't divulge numbers because I'm still employed there, but trust me.

So do you tell people these cables are better for them?

That's the question we should be asking ;)

QuantumTrickery    2

For those curious, I made a quick call, and employees pay around $5 for those store branded cables they charge $60 for.

bangbang023    31
So do you tell people these cables are better for them?

That's the question we should be asking ;)

I don't sell anymore (I'm the guy who hooks up all the displays now), but when I did sell, we carried Monster, AR, and Recoton wires. I sold AR cables most of the time. They were priced in the same range as today's Dynex cables. I didn't BS my customers. It resulted in lower revenue sales, but far fewer returns.

For those curious, I made a quick call, and employees pay around $5 for those store branded cables they charge $60 for.

My point exactly. It benefits BB to sell it's own brands much more than it does to sell the Monster brand. The Monster employee price is considerably higher than the mentioned $5.

cchasem    0

Ive got all Rocketfish cables ;)

goji    30

haha, still paid to much.

Should have gone with monoprice.

Vlad    12
I think this explanation here hits the nail.

Close. It would have been more worthwhile to explain BER and show an eye diagram. In this regard, the cliff effect is also worth mentioning. Too lazy to give links myself.

bangbang023    31
Ive got all Rocketfish cables ;)

Just be careful with those. The earlier batches had a problem where the HDMI cable tips would break off inside the TV, leaving a frustrated user digging with pliers to get it out.

cchasem    0
Just be careful with those. The earlier batches had a problem where the HDMI cable tips would break off inside the TV, leaving a frustrated user digging with pliers to get it out.

Wow thats pretty intense.

I have started getting all GeekSquad branded cables now anyway... I like the mesh feel.. ;)

+shift.    21

Okay so I'm a bit too lazy to read all 11 pages of comments.

So if someone could answer this for me real quick it would be great.

I'm going to be getting an HDMI cable for my PS3; would it be beneficial to grab a cheap less than $10 nGear one? Or would it be better to grab a more expensive MONSTER cable?

My friend says there WILL be a bit of quality loss with the cheaper cable at 1080p (I will be running at 1080)

+Audioboxer    2,876
My friend says there WILL be a bit of quality loss with the cheaper cable at 1080p (I will be running at 1080)

Nope, none whatsoever if the cable isn't faulty.

Graphics card suppliers supply you with generic DVI cables when you buy a graphics card, they don't ship with Monster DVI cables, cables that "heal" themselves or are made from pure gold [don't think monster DVI cables exist, but the point is digital for carrying video works or it doesn't].

Also, MILLIONS of people use cheap HDMI cables, if there really was differences they'd be well documented - The opposite is true though, there being no differences IS well documented.

So either, be sensible and buy yourself a cheap working cable, or go blow "half" your salary just so that mentally you THINK you're somehow watching superior quality.