On HDTVs, should Dynamic Contrast be turned off?

In order to get the best and most accurate picture on my LCD TV, should I turn off dynamic contrast? When I turn it off, the picture seems significantly darker, but at the same time, white levels look more accurate. However, due to the picture being darker, it looks like I?m losing a bit of detail in the picture. Since I just turned it off for the first time yesterday, it could be that my eyes just need to get used to the more accurate picture. So, is turning off dynamic contrast the best way to go? Does it reduce eye strain?

Have you checked the AVS forums or CNET to see if there are any Calibrations done for your TV?... alot of the calibrations posted on the net will give you a great place to start without having to pay some dude $300+ to come and do it for you...

Have you checked the AVS forums or CNET to see if there are any Calibrations done for your TV?... alot of the calibrations posted on the net will give you a great place to start without having to pay some dude $300+ to come and do it for you...

I checked AVS, but not CNET so I'll check right now. But just because TVs are the same model, each individual TV is unique. So, the calibration for one TV won't necessarily give the same results for another TV of the same model.

Get the Spyder3TV calibration tool. I already had a Spyder3 from my Monitor CAlibration suite, I borrowed the TV disk from a friend who had it and ran it on mine. The defaults on my sharp auqos 46" were pretty close, just had to tweak the tint, color, and contrast a little.

If the Spyder is too pricey for the setup, there is a free calibration DVD on AVS as well that works somewhat well...but as others have said, leave it off.

If the Spyder is too pricey for the setup, there is a free calibration DVD on AVS as well that works somewhat well...

I only found one of those forums and it was VERY complicated. Was I looking in the wrong place?

I only found one of those forums and it was VERY complicated. Was I looking in the wrong place?

Not sure if this is what you were referring to, but here is the link for the HD calibration disc, with Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, AVCHD and MP4 formats. More information and download links are available here - AVS HD 709

Here's the main calibration forum as well with much more detailed information - Calibration Forum

Sorry if I misunderstood and was way off topic. I can't recall where the DVD based iso is at, but I guess in theory you should be using some sort of high-def unit to calibrate any new HDTV since the DVD patterns will only be in 720x480 resolution. Everyone has different opinions regarding the best calibration, such as doing each input separately etc...

I really appreciate the advice, but I was watching my TV for a couple of hours with the Dynamic Contrast turned off and I couldn't stand it. The picture is just too dark and I have a hard time seeing certain details. I know having it off gives you the most accurate results, but having the dynamic contrast on just gives the picture a much nicer and brighter look (at least to my eyes it does). So, I think I'll leave it on. Thanks anyway!

I really appreciate the advice, but I was watching my TV for a couple of hours with the Dynamic Contrast turned off and I couldn't stand it. The picture is just too dark and I have a hard time seeing certain details. I know having it off gives you the most accurate results, but having the dynamic contrast on just gives the picture a much nicer and brighter look (at least to my eyes it does). So, I think I'll leave it on. Thanks anyway!

Whatever looks best to *you* is what matters. By default having it on looks OK, but when calibrating the set, it shoudl be off. I think that's where it was heading towards in our responses. Good luck and enjoy the set!

Any calibration setups for LG 46" out there? I thought the $300 geek squad dude was the only option out there...

Depends what you mean by calibration setups. If you mean doing a real calibration, then you'll need to hire someone or get the equipment to DIY. Search through the links I posted for AVS and see if they have any. I believe what you are referring to are optimal settings for your set.

All the "enhancing" crap should be turned off and the TV calibrated through the important settings which are (contrast/brightness/backlight/colour/sharpness and for some the actual RGB values).

Everything is off on my Bravia except from colour space which is on wide. I sometimes use Standard, but Wide is good for gaming.

All the "enhancing" crap should be turned off and the TV calibrated through the important settings which are (contrast/brightness/backlight/colour/sharpness and for some the actual RGB values).

Everything is off on my Bravia except from colour space which is on wide. I sometimes use Standard, but Wide is good for gaming.

I see what you mean. All those enhancements are just artificial and they just give you an inaccurate picture. But to my eyes, those enhancements make the picture look better. Since I'm nearsighted, watching far away with the enhancements on really help when I'm not wearing glasses. If I don't have the enhancements on, I squint like crazy trying to make out certain parts of the picture. So, having dynamic contrast and edge enhancement on really helps a lot.

I don't know about the PS3, but with the 360, it's wise to use standard. The 360 outputs in RGB (well, games are designed with the RGB color space) and that means a standard 16 - 255 color range. Forcing a 0 - 255 range with the wide option will most likely hurt the blacks, though it could be subtle.

I don't know about the PS3, but with the 360, it's wise to use standard. The 360 outputs in RGB (well, games are designed with the RGB color space) and that means a standard 16 - 255 color range. Forcing a 0 - 255 range with the wide option will most likely hurt the blacks, though it could be subtle.

Ahhh, I'm talking about Bravia Live Colour settings - You have standard or wide.

Not the 360 settings.

The 360 should be on standard for 95% of HDTVs for the reason you said. The other settings are primarily for monitors and will crush blacks on a TV.

Any calibration setups for LG 46" out there? I thought the $300 geek squad dude was the only option out there...

did you read my post above about the Spyder3TV? if not google it. I used it on mine.

At $200, it's a bit pricey for many people.

True, but this IS the HOME THEATER section, and home theater doesn't usually consist of a 100$ 15" tv does it? If most people have enough money to spend on a flat screen, and a stereo for surround, if they want to optimize their system 200$ extra is nothing.

And no I'm not saying everyone can afford nice home theater systems.

True, but this IS the HOME THEATER section, and home theater doesn't usually consist of a 100$ 15" tv does it? If most people have enough money to spend on a flat screen, and a stereo for surround, if they want to optimize their system 200$ extra is nothing.

TV's have plummeted in price. I just got a Sharp 32" for a little over $400 after taxes. There's no way, even an obsessive compulsive like myself, can justify spending around 45% of the price of the TV on a calibration tool, especially given the effect of the weak economy on my hours at work.

$200 is a fair whack to spend on calibration.

With some good man hours, calibration DVDs or even just a wide collection of calibrated settings off the internet for your TV, you'll do a decent job.

In fact - How To Calibrate Your New HDTV (and Not Lose Your Mind): http://gizmodo.com/5098917/how-to-calibrat...-lose-your-mind