Circuit City offers $12.99 Blu-ray sale

Circuit City Stores Inc. this week began touting a new $12.99 Blu-ray sale in the latest round of high-definition discounts.

Titles price cut to under $13 include The Punisher, Terminator 2, Total Recall, First Blood, Stargate, and The Devil's Rejects.

Retailers have began offering aggressive price cuts to Blu-ray products to spur adoption of the high-definition format.

Best Buy Co. Inc. stores in Dec. began offering a free Blu-ray player with purchase of any HDMI cable $79.99 and up and 10 of 50 select Blu-ray disc titles.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Black Friday price cut a Magnavox Blu-ray player to $128 in a doorbuster deal.

Amazon.com is offering 20 percent off Sony Corp. Blu-ray movies with the purchase of an eligible PS3 title.

It is also offering a new $12.99 and up Blu-ray sale.

Additionally, it is offering a free Blu-ray remote with the purchase of a select PS3 game title and Blu-ray movie.

Finally, it is offering a free Blu-ray disc player by Sharp Corp. with the purchase of a select Sharp Aquos HDTV.

Sony Corp. in Nov. released the 160GB PS3 SKU. The bundle includes a new 160GB PS3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, PAIN downloadable game voucher, and a Dualshock 3 controller for $499.

This month, it launched Home, a new beta online universe that allows PS3 owners to mingle and play games internet-capable games.

Source: http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=7205

A bit off topic but $499 for a PS3???

It's $399 for an 80GB, the $499 is some limited model with more space and a game chucked in - Waste of money seeing as you can change the hard drive in any model.

I absolutely hate the Blu-Ray version of T2. Anyone who has the Extreme Edition knows what I mean. It has the extended special edition which is a far more complete version of the movie. Yeah it looks better, but the theatrical version doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Speaking of good discounts, I have been getting tons of offers from Borders for being part of their Borders Rewards (free program) In the last week I've had a Buy one Get one free Blu-Ray, and 40% off any Blu-Ray titles. Managed to pick up both box sets of 007 for about $45, among several other purchases. Really bolstered my collection.

This sounds more like a CC fire-sale than a Blu-Ray promotion. They are in bankruptcy and doing everything they can do clear inventory from closed stores and get people in the door.

We just got a Sony BD player last week and I have to say I'm less than impressed with it. I can't believe they shipped BD players with an incomplete specification and features that require memory expansion that the player didn't come with. The menus are slow, and it takes at least a minute for most movies to start playing. The movies look ok, but so do the the HD PPV movies on Charter, and they're cheaper to rent. :(

I also haven't found a player that I'm 100% happy with. I'm not having that horribly ugly PS3 box sitting alongside my other equipment. For now I'm stuck with the Panasonic DMP-BD55K.

It's $399 for an 80GB, the $499 is some limited model with more space and a game chucked in - Waste of money seeing as you can change the hard drive in any model.

$519 model here in Canada has Uncharted, 160GB HDD, free Pain voucher. $399 gets you the 40GB and Little Big Planet.

Most of these BD movies are old and really nothing you want in your collection. Their about $14.99 up here, I'd much rather spend another $7 bucks and buy a movie I can see myself watching :laugh:

*My prices are Best Buy, and Future Shop. Not Circuit City.

Good prices there.. BD's are still relatively expensive compared to DVD's. Best deal seems to be 2 movies for ?25 (about $37?) and they're not even current titles:((

We just got a Sony BD player last week and I have to say I'm less than impressed with it. I can't believe they shipped BD players with an incomplete specification and features that require memory expansion that the player didn't come with. The menus are slow, and it takes at least a minute for most movies to start playing. The movies look ok, but so do the the HD PPV movies on Charter, and they're cheaper to rent. :(

I have to agree with you. Sony BDP model players are the worst. Slow, clunky, and completely unreasonable for the price. Sharp players are horrid also. Samsung players are nearly as slow.

The Panasonic players are the only ones I've seen with a decent start/load time. They're almost up to par with standard DVD player speeds. Pretty impressed.