Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet as reported by CNN

Maybe it puts something on the HDD the first time you load up, but its very minimal, like 100mb or something, the rest was probably patches.

Just like 360 with caching....

Yep, When I "installed" LBP last night it took less than 20 seconds. :)

heres a few multi-disc titles last remnant (2), lost odessey (4), blue dragon (3), Infinite Undiscovery (2),FF XIII in the future. even with games that arent multi-disc a publisher could save cost on blu-ray (or any higher capacity format) by only having to press one version compared to 2 or 3 versions with different languages

At least someone here gets their facts straight. Then again, They fit "estimated 30-40 hours" of gameplay on to two discs of Infinite Undiscovery. That is a hell of a lot of gameplay. The other thing is these games are all large scale RPG's, which have 30+ hours of gameplay. 10-15 hours of gameplay per disc is probably more than most people can handle in one sitting, and therefore any arguments about "but you have to remove the disc" is pointless since breaks will be taken between gaming sessions anyways, one of which will probably be at the end of disc one.

YOU are not representative of the entire market or the average consumer. Throw the biased arguments aside.

Who is the average consumer then?

Name the game. And cutting down content isn't bad, it just means the crew managed the space poorly. Honestly there is nothing wrong with cutting content as long as it isn't a surprise that is discovered when putting the disc into the console.

Awful waste of time creating the content in retrospect, assuming it was already created before the discs were created. moot point anyway as its on a game to game basis.

Neowin is definitely not the representation of the common consumer. Good god where do you get your facts from?

Define the common consumer then?

My point is that your storage needs are a direct result from the inability to stream media you already have stored elsewhere, which is by far more efficient and more desirable, and all you need is a local area network connection with the PC in question.

what? I can stream media with ease. I use WMP in the background to host the DNLA server on my pc, which is picked up by my PS3 with minimal configuration required.

and no, replying in this manner is not lazy, it helps me keep things in order and to reply directly to each point without having to link it outside of the quote.

isnt last remnent a fps? also i just remembered madden 09 comes on 2 disc as well

Last Remnant is an RPG ...

And the second Madden disc is a "Head Coach" disc, pretty much another game in its own right.

FPS? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDmcJELTDE&fmt=18

Who is the average consumer then?

Define the common consumer then?

Non-tech savy, normal people. Neowin users are in-general fairly tech-savy. Just being on an online community itself says something about your tech knowledge. Not to mention taking the time to post coherently. You probably don't know anything about marketing demographics, do you?
Awful waste of time creating the content in retrospect, assuming it was already created before the discs were created.

DVD's have been around for long enough for a developer to understand their limit is 9.7GB on a DL disc.

wut? I can stream media with ease. I use WMP in the background to host the DNLA server on my pc, which is picked up by my PS3 with minimal configuration required.

I can guarantee 60-80% of the consumer base don't know what a DNLA server is, or that the PC can interface with the PS3 at all.

PS: you quote me like that again, I will assume you admit defeat in this debate. Please stop doing it to irritate me. Even if you aren't, it is frustrating. Having to copy and paste and individually quote your comments where I could easily just copy-paste your quote code only.

Edited by Emn1ty

(1) Non-tech savy, normal people. Neowin users are in-general fairly tech-savy. Just being on an online community itself says something about your tech knowledge. Not to mention taking the time to post coherently. You probably don't know anything about marketing demographics, do you?

(2) I can guarantee 60-80% of the consumer base don't know what a DNLA server is, or that the PC can interface with the PS3 at all.

(3) PS: you quote me like that again, I will assume you admit defeat in this debate. Please stop doing it to irritate me. Even if you aren't, it is frustrating. Having to copy and paste and individually quote your comments where I could easily just copy-paste your quote code only.

1. I think people are more tech savvy than you give credit for. No, my marketing demographics knowledge is somewhat limited, but then again I never claimed to have knowledge of it in the first place.

2. Perhaps, but like I said, people hear about such features and will sometimes find out more about such a thing.

3. if i makes you happy ;) I must say you're the only one who's not liked it though.

Woah this hit 7 pages already? :laugh: (Should of expected that in here though, probably the most negative section of NW!).

Have fun guys, the CNN article is a load of BS. Console needs to be cheaper to boost sales, news at 11, but all the rest in that article is for hits.

Lemme guess what's happened so far...

People trashed the PS3, people defended it, some guru's told us exactly how the PS3 will sell (probably estimated it's demise from the market). Someone then said but no, price drops will boost sales, blah blah blah.

It's Christmas, enjoy your games instead of the bloody console wars for once.

No console is going "anywhere", they'll all sell well, all release good games, surely that's all that matters?

<in regards to a serious debate about the market/financial situations, I posted a lot in another thread about Sony the other day>

ps. Oh I forgot, I'm sure High Definition was trashed along the way as well, and DVDs confirmed good enough :rofl:

Edited by Audioboxer

2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

This is simply untrue... I have a 40" and you notice a big difference between Bluray and DVD's... even when upscaled!

This is simply untrue... I have a 40" and you notice a big difference between Bluray and DVD's... even when upscaled!

Quite true, i only have a 26'' and although the quality difference isn't quite VHS to DVD, its certainly noticable. not just in pixel count but colour vibrancy and transfer quality.

Woah this hit 7 pages already? :laugh: (Should of expected that in here though, probably the most negative section of NW!).

Have fun guys, the CNN article is a load of BS. Console needs to be cheaper to boost sales, news at 11, but all the rest in that article is for hits.

Lemme guess what's happened so far...

People trashed the PS3, people defended it, some guru's told us exactly how the PS3 will sell (probably estimated it's demise from the market). Someone then said but no, price drops will boost sales, blah blah blah.

It's Christmas, enjoy your games instead of the bloody console wars for once.

No console is going "anywhere", they'll all sell well, all release good games, surely that's all that matters?

<in regards to a serious debate about the market/financial situations, I posted a lot in another thread about Sony the other day>

ps. Oh I forgot, I'm sure High Definition was trashed along the way as well, and DVDs confirmed good enough :rofl:

Yep that pretty much sums up the thread so far, which is always the way of most PS3 threads to be honest.

Have a goo Christmas, and enjoy games on whatever platform.

Yep that pretty much sums up the thread so far, which is always the way of most PS3 threads to be honest.

Have a goo Christmas, and enjoy games on whatever platform.

This is the way to go!

I'm get my moneys worth out of the system and I think most of us agree that articles like this are just BS, published to encourage a backlash.

Also, apologies if I was a little sharp with some of you.

If it was the same price as the 360 Elite, I'd purchase it over the 360... but it would depend on the strengths of the games. PES, Fifa, LBP and Singstar are the only games I could justify. The rest of the games (mainly FPS's) I can play on the PC, and feel more comfortable with the keyboard/mouse combo.

The XBox has a much more varied and diverse back catalogue at the moment, but similar games as the PS3 really leave me thinking neither console would suit. The big selling point for the PS3 is the Blu-Ray drive in it. It's the one reason all the Game stores in the UK tell the customers they should buy it over a 360. It's more futureproof.

But utimately I'm a scrooge and the price is my reason for not owning one yet. I'd love to see the PS3 be totally backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. I still love playing Wipeout and Motorhead.

I think you're right Brad, the 360 having 'tiers' has done themselves wonders. Sony seem to be aiming squarely at the gaming/home theatre crowd which although successful, it not getting out there as much as the 360 does.

Yeah - I'm with you on this as well. Upscaled DVD's look OK but it's chalk and cheese in terms of difference. The Dark Knight is my first BD and it's set the benchmark for just how good the format can look. The colours, the pin sharp picture.. it's astonishing.

I'd love to see the PS3 be totally backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. I still love playing Wipeout and Motorhead.

I believe both are available on the PlayStationStore for about ?3 each, can't remember the pricing of PS1 games.

1. I think people are more tech savvy than you give credit for.

I disagree with that really.

Maybe the hardcore that bought the PS3 at launch are more tech savy, but the average consumer out there isn't.

Most people out there do not have a clue when it comes to tech stuff.

Sausage and Cornish pastry.... ill see you 2 flapjacks

My Ps3 is great, Online gaming.... connection issues, server issues.... not horrid but definitely note worthy.

they need to include HDMI cable with ps3.... it's retarded that I didn't have HD content for 10 months because of unability to pay for a HDMI cable.

New Games > HDMI Cable (was the route i took for quite some time)

Definitely WiFi is awesome capability. NEVER have to wire anything, just plug to tv and go. going ot a friends house? just need a screen anywhere and an outlet and we're good to go. Can't imagine it now adays without it.

I will never buy a system without it now, It has become a necessity. Blu-Ray? yes way! great great great...

No AAA titles? or very few? Screw that, even though many of hte titles i love are available on the xbox360 there is nothing that "I" like that is exclusive to xbox360 except halo (AND GEARS OF WAR might just buy X360 for that reason & only that reason!), and even then it isn't a huge deal for me, loved playing campaign but lets be honest, we aren't all PWNzoRZ online at Halo.

they need to include HDMI cable with ps3.... it's retarded that I didn't have HD content for 10 months because of unability to pay for a HDMI cable.

New Games > HDMI Cable (was the route i took for quite some time)

I agree with that point, but seriously Zab an HDMI cable costs you $5 :|

(in relation to your argument that you choose to buy new games over a cable for 10 months)

Other than BD and it being quieter there is little reason for the average consumer to justify the cost over the 360. If there had been a cheap decent standalone BD player when the PS3 came out, I would have never bought one as I already had a 360 at the time. The only reason I buy PS3 games over xbox games now is again, the noise of the 360 and because the majority of my friends have PS3's.

There are precious few exclusives worth anything on the PS3 (MGS4 is one of these) so the average consumer will look at the el cheapo 360 and the PS3, see they generally have the same games and buy the 360 as it's cheaper.

(I own both consoles and rarely use my 360, but this is the way I see it)