Taking The Plunge, Buying a DSLR

Brad I'm not sure how true it is about the Nikon D40 being a great beginner DSLR. For me it was a Canon EOS 450D and don't forget the EOS DSLR cashback promotions.

For memory card get 4GB+ and ccard with fast write and read like the Sandisk Extreme III not to mention the Lifetime warranty. Have a look at MemoryBits they have a 15% sale or PicStop.

For the UV filter I recommend a Hoya Pro1D UV and the best place is to buy it from is eBay you can pick one up for less then 70% the price you pay in the shops it may take some time to find a good deal and be careful of fakes and customs charges.

Hope that helps and welcome to the world of DSLR hope to see your photos soon.

So, now work's finished I have a bit of money to treat myself for Christmas. After a lot of thinking I've decided to go for a DSLR Camera, preferably a Nikon D40 as I've asked about it before and been told it's a great beginners DSLR, can anyone back this up?

I'm looking to go for this deal, pretty cheap if you ask me!

My main questions are;

1) Is there anything better that I can get for my money, as far as I know that's unlikely.

2) Decent place for memory cards? I'll obviously need one with my new camera.

3) Carry case, is the one mentioned on the Amazon page worth it? Or are there better choices elsewhere?

4) UV lens filter, where's the best place to purchase one in your opinion?

5) I can see myself taking the camera to some music gigs, I'll be front row or even try to obtain a photographers pass to gain access in front of the crowd, how good will the D40/18-55mm lens be in this type of environment?

Please keep in mind that I live in the UK in regards to purchasing things, I'm open to any advice though, no doubt about it. Also if some questions don't make sense then I'll happily explain them in more detail!

:D Thanks