Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

So, here we are again! New build! Hooray! We'll soon see it publicly available, but it's out there somewhere already!

That means: time for the QnA topic!

The topic for getting the answers to all your questions about Windows 7 :)

If you post a screenshot, please try to upload them somewhere else (Flickr/Picasaweb for example) and post a thumbnail on the forums. Be nice for the low-bandwith people and for Neowin's servers!

Merry Christmas to you all, and have fun with Beta 1 :)

Ambroos

Edited by Ambroos

How are boot/shutdown times compared to older builds?

Feels about the same as 6956 did to me... Not running AV software (never in beta's) so it will probably be slower when most people use it.

From some of the screenshots I have seen, Windows Photo Viewer still needs to have its UI updated to be consistent with Windows Media Player (as do all the other Windows programs, such as DVD Maker if it hasn't already).

I know this is a beta and I know that most of us will install Windows Live Photo Gallery, but many won't as they won't know of it. Even if they will know of it, why continue to have these inconsistencies?

So, here we are again! New build! Hooray! We'll soon see it publicly available, but it's out there somewhere already!

That means: time for the QnA topic!

The topic for getting the answers to all your questions about Windows 7 :)

Guidelines (I can't enforce these but you give everyone the best experience when sticking to them)

- If you have nothing to say, then don't say it. Don't go flaming at someone and always make sure what you say makes sense.

- Talk proper English and use punctuation correctly! It's terribly annoying to try and figure out some Chinenglish for example.

- Do not post any warez links. Don't give serials, downloads, cracks, whatever.

- If you post a screenshot, please try to upload them somewhere else (Flickr/Picasaweb for example) and post a thumbnail on the forums. Be nice for the low-bandwith people and for Neowin's servers!

Hope you all follow them!

I'll soon be uploading my screenshot galleries like last time!

Now get your discussions in here :)

Ambroos

Ambroos, can you tell me how the speed is compared to 6956? What about any previous bugs that you've encounted, have they been corrected? There was a bug where you right click a window on the Taskbar to close it and the context window doesn't close which I find annoying.

Thanks for your thread Ambroos. It's irritating and annoying that the whole world has access to beta 1 before Microsoft's own 'chosen' beta testers.

+1 Epic fail and /facepalm to Microsoft.

Thanks for your thread Ambroos. It's irritating and annoying that the whole world has access to beta 1 before Microsoft's own 'chosen' beta testers.

+1 Epic fail and /facepalm to Microsoft.

Get off your high horse. As I've said before, It doesn't affect or harm the invited beta testers in the slightest. You make it sound like some elitist club when really it's just a group of people who signed up to connect who were randomly chosen. Even those people did get it before hand it would STILL have leaked to the general population.

One thing I noticed when I accidentially launched up my setup again (didn't notice in initial install) is that the "Check compatibility online" option is removed (temporarily?).

Setup also gave slightly different messages when launched from within Windows (compared to 6956). The "Preparing temporary files" text is quite huge.

Get off your high horse. As I've said before, It doesn't affect or harm the invited beta testers in the slightest. You make it sound like some elitist club when really it's just a group of people who signed up to connect who were randomly chosen. Even those people did get it before hand it would STILL have leaked to the general population.

:p you, I am important - otherwise they would not have chosen me.

Probably has been answered before but is Folder Views fixed? You know in Vista how you can change the folder view and it will randomly choose it's own view. Is that an issue in Windows 7 still or has it been fixed?