Windows 7 build 7000 (Beta 1) QnA!

I'm capped at 3.0 and I have a 7200RPM drive.

Just because a disk spins fast doesn't mean it is fast at accessing the data. It's far more to a disk when it comes to performance now.

Here's my netbook(samsung nc10) score from 27th Dec..

Nice. So the new Atoms are more powerful than the venerable Pentium 4's of yore, lol. Maybe I should retire this machine.

I installed the old Mobility Radeon XP driver; I was surprised when Win7 took it. Now I can play Chess Titans with a some good ol' video acceleration. CPU usage has reduced; it idles at approx. 25% instead of 30-40% previously. Unfortunately, trying to play WMV (in the player or in a browser via the plugin) freezes the machine. No sleep support either. I've also had a few random freezes and restarts after I installed the driver.

Any suggestions? :) Someone working on a similar setup?

i have a question for you all

does the Windows 7 x64 version require drivers to be signed by microsoft before they can install like with Vista? because of that "feature" there's quite a few programs i can't install and if it's the same with windows 7 then i'll have to go back to 32-bit and my 6GB of ram will be reduced to 3GB :no:

does anybody know how to enable desktop gadget? i click on the links in W7 but nothing happens :(

U got UAC off??

Gadgets don't work wit it off. Is a bug =(

Well... it runs like **** (way worse than XP, never tried Vista) on my Pentium 4 M 2.4Ghz laptop with 1GB RAM (max limit) and an 80GB 5400RPM ATA harddrive. MSFT were demoing Win7 on netbooks, so I thought it would work well on my old laptop. I should've known it was too good to be true.

Anyone running a similar test on old/underpowered systems?

In my case, I have wackier numbers after the recent hardware crossgrade than before it.

Before the crossgrade, processor scores stayed the same, but the graphics subscore dropped.

Now, processor subscores dropped (from 4.7 to 4.2; however, this is comparing Vista x64 to Windwos 7 x86, so it may well be apples vs. oranges), however, the graphics subscore is up (from 2.0/2.5 to 3.8/3.2) and this is onboard nForce 7100/630i graphics with a mere 128 MB of system RAM being used and 190 MB additional being shared out of 1 GB total. Apparently, someone's done something right at least as far as the nForce onboard graphics for Windows 7.

Ok, I did a bit of research on my drive's specs and here's what I found out.

My main drive is a Seagate Barricuda 320GB, which I made a 50GB partition on it for 7. The drive's specs are 7200 RPM, average latency is 4.16 msec, random read seek time is <8.5 msec and random write seek time is <10.0 msec. Are the people being capped at 3.0 have similar specs for their drives?

do windows remember their position in Windows 7, becuase of that i went back to XP

I read that the folder views was fixed in Vista SP2, and Windows 7, but I'm not sure if that extends to window positions as well.

so is this the official beta? when the beta gets 'officially' released, do we have to get a cd key off Microsoft? how does it work?

It'll be a DVD, CDs are to small.

do windows remember their position in Windows 7, becuase of that i went back to XP

From my experience, windows remember their position in Windows Vista :huh:

Maybe that was an issue which was fixed in Windows Vista Service Pack 1?

One thing that annoys me is that Windows Explorer windows do not remember the size you specify for them (by using the 're-size' cursor). Does this happen in Windows 7?

Yes unfortunately =(

I also have to change folder views in each windows!!!

I just want it all the same =(((((

And then when you change them in each directory (folder), they won't always get remembered the next time you open the same directory ;)

(Until Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows 7 :p)