PS3 Media Server

I can confirm that PS3 Media Server enables playback of 1080p content out of the box with no tinkering of transcoding settings needed.

The movie thumbnail feature also works as intended for everything that I could find except .mkv.

All in all, uninstalling TVersity and getting this was the right move, and a big thank you to the OP for posting this :)

Thank you very much for mentioning this software. It works perfectly for playing MKV, had problems with 2 files, out of the many MKV I have. I am definitely dumping Medialink (which I paid for), and sticking with this.

Software has worked great with most things I've asked it to do, however it seems to have difficulty with one mkv. File size on the PC is 4.4 gig fliesize according to the software is 98 gig :huh:

To be honest, you guys should just properly transcode your MKVs instead of doing it on the fly with built in transcoders and what not.

Just run 1080p content through MKV2VOB and let it transcode - It may take a few hours, but it's going to be in better quality and not have any playback issues that may come from doing it on the fly.

Seems I was a bit quick to judge. On two occassions now this software has crashed on me within the last 5/10 mins of a movie playing. It happened the first time the other day when I was watching Eagle Eye. I thought it may have happened cause my pc went to sleep, but it happened again today while I was watching Ghost Rider :/ This time I managed to debug the program and it began playing again but it soon crashed a second time. Both movies were in 720p.

Will test later with another movie.

Seems I was a bit quick to judge. On two occassions now this software has crashed on me within the last 5/10 mins of a movie playing. It happened the first time the other day when I was watching Eagle Eye. I thought it may have happened cause my pc went to sleep, but it happened again today while I was watching Ghost Rider :/ This time I managed to debug the program and it began playing again but it soon crashed a second time. Both movies were in 720p.

Will test later with another movie.

Try the 1.01 beta - http://ps3mediaserver.googlecode.com/svn/t...r/dist-archive/

Blog for the app - http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Seeing as you're streaming 720p stuff, did you run it through MKV2VOB first? (should only take a few mins) That way all the media server is doing is sending the file to the PS3, it won't be trying to transcode anything on the fly which may be causing this application to crash if buggy.

Edited by Audioboxer

This is indeed nice software, been playing lots of different videos which used to refuse to play with TVersity, looking really good, worked for me just fine with default settings.

Anyway to get this working on a 32-bit Intel Mac? Or any app that requires Java 6 for that matter.

Anyway to get this working on a 32-bit Intel Mac? Or any app that requires Java 6 for that matter.

Does Java 6 not support an Intel Mac or something? I was under the impression this app is Java powered as it can run on Mac/Linux and Windows with no issues.

I've now ditched TVersity in favour of this app.

Everything I play either works natively or I transcode before streaming, however there's one or two AVI files I've come across that don't work, and I've just been letting this transcode them on the fly.

A lot less buggy and more responsive than TVersity to boot (more so in the application itself, I never had any problem with playback through TVersity).

Once 1.02 hits, I'll probably update my PS3 HD guide to use this application instead of TVersity.

On Thursday I was over at my dad's house, and he was showing me how he uses PlayOn to stream Netflix as well as Hulu, which pretty much negates whatever advantage 360 had there.

On Thursday I was over at my dad's house, and he was showing me how he uses PlayOn to stream Netflix as well as Hulu, which pretty much negates whatever advantage 360 had there.

Interesting, never heard of PlayOn before now.

You can just load the PS3 browser and watch Hulu content directly though.

which pretty much negates whatever advantage 360 had there.

Except not having to jump through hoops to get the result :p

I'd say thats a disadvantage. Especially if you argue "casual" gamers can't mod a HDD, but some how know all these roundabout ways to stream media? Riiiiight :p

Except not having to jump through hoops to get the result :p

I'd say thats a disadvantage. Especially if you argue "casual" gamers can't mod a HDD, but some how know all these roundabout ways to stream media? Riiiiight :p

I'll venture my 68-year-old dad can't mod a hard drive, and basically only plays Soduku, yet knows this roundabout way to stream his Netflix (the entire library, not the crippled list that XBox users have) before AudioBoxer knew. I knew about PlayOn, but not its use with Netflix.

BTW, it also works with XBox 360 as well. And works similar (and better) to how the 360 streams Netflix via your PC as it is. :p

edit: I take back the part about the list, it seems the streaming list is crippled all around.

Ok and whats to say there isn't people out there which aren't hardcore gamers etc, who know of the 360 HDD mod ;)

You've just proved to us that you're dad is in the same position but with a software venture instead.

Anyways, just busting balls and showing you not to write people off so easily :p

Can we please not turn this topic into a console war thread :p

I shall valiantly steer this topic back on track by saying kudos to AB for his future plans to update the PS3 media streaming guide to use PS3 Media Server, only reason I had TVersity in the first place was because of said guide :p

Does Java 6 not support an Intel Mac or something? I was under the impression this app is Java powered as it can run on Mac/Linux and Windows with no issues.

I've now ditched TVersity in favour of this app.

Everything I play either works natively or I transcode before streaming, however there's one or two AVI files I've come across that don't work, and I've just been letting this transcode them on the fly.

A lot less buggy and more responsive than TVersity to boot (more so in the application itself, I never had any problem with playback through TVersity).

Once 1.02 hits, I'll probably update my PS3 HD guide to use this application instead of TVersity.

The app requires Java 6 (1.6) and will not run on Java 5 (1.5). Java 6 has only been released by Apple for Intel Macs with 64-bit processors. :(