PS3 Media Server

i wish i had known about this before i was busting my balls trying to get the ps3 to connect properly to my media center pc via windows media player. took me forever!

A new update is out :)

Click me

New features

* Auto-updater, default configuration, cleanups and windows/linux build scripts (thanks to Tim Cox) Auto-updater, default configuration, cleanups and windows / linux build scripts (thanks to Tim Cox)

* Media library (also act as a parsing cache): you can sort your files by date, ID3 tags, etc. Media library (also act as a parsing cache), you can sort your files by date, ID3 tags, etc.

* Playlists (m3u/pls) support Playlists (m3u/pls) support

* Preliminary album art support, better audio (flac) and tags parsing Preliminary album art support, better audio (flac) and tags parsing

* New options for video resolution, deinterlace filter, and archives browsing New options for video resolution, Deinterlace filter, and archives browsing

* Video settings with an easier virtual menu (A/V sync, deinterlace, ...) Video virtual settings with an easier menu (A / V sync, Deinterlace ...)

* Windows service installer (working on 32 bits only) Windows installer service (working on 32-bit only)

* New image parsing library: Better performance / EXIF support (sort photos by camera model, etc.) New image parsing library: Better performance / EXIF support (sort photos by camera model, etc.)

* DVR-MS addon DVR-MS addon

Fixes

* A/V out of sync issues with some ISOs and medias / codecs support improvement (flv, rmvb, hdmov, mp4, multichannels avi, etc.) A / V out of sync issues with some ISOs and media / codecs support improvement (flv, rmvb, hdmov, mp4, avi multi channels, etc.)

* External subtitles not always loaded External subtitles not always loaded

* Upnp advertising issue in search reply to the ps3 (thanks to Daniel Pedersen) UPnP search advertising issue in reply to the ps3 (thanks to Daniel Pedersen)

* SkipLoopFilter is now disabled by default Skip Loop Filter is now disabled by default

* Regression since 0.98, server would not start on some machines Regression since 0.98, server would not start on some machines

* Newest builds of ffmpeg/mplayer/mencoder for win32 Newest builds or ffmpeg / mplayer / mencoder for win32

* Usual bunch of fixes Usual bunch of fixes

* Major Bug in server start due to a faulty MAC address retrieval Major Bug in server start due to a faulty MAC address retrieval

* PMS do not start after activating the archive browsing option PMS do not start after activating the archive browsing option

* Media library small fixes Media library small fixes

I get this error on OSX Leopard 10.5.6. There isn't a newer version of Java available and the app doesn't work with Java 1.5? :(

post-61366-1230731835.png

[EDIT] OK just checked. I can't use this on a 32-bit Intel mac because Java 1.6 isn't available for 32-bit - only 64-bit. I mean WTF?

New version (v1.02.1) is supposed to work with Java 1.5. Care to give it another go?

New version (v1.02.1) is supposed to work with Java 1.5. Care to give it another go?

Yeah it does.

This application really is essential for PS3 owners (Y)

It even streams DVD ISOs right off your hard drive :|

Is this like TVersity with the horrible transcoding quality or do we get 1:1 quality?

You'll get 1:1 quality if the file can be remuxed, if not it will transcode (where you'll end up with minimal loss). But it does a much better job transcoding than TVersity (Y) This is because it uses mencoder which is the application everyone uses to encode video files. I have no idea what TVersity uses, but it's crap anyway.

Still, if you're looking to play HD content, it's best to use MKV2VOB first, then just stream with this application.

I just let this application transcode some AVI files I have that don't play on my PS3, and also any other video formats like MP4/WMV/ect.

And now that I've found out it streams DVD ISOs, it means I don't need to encode my DVDs, I can just rip them to the PC with AnyDVD and play them on the PS3 :)

I believe the Youtube and TV streaming are new features too? Don't remember seeing the Web folder before the update. Hopefully with updates the list of sites grows (Y)

AB expect a PM from me, I need to ask a Q

This thing really sounds like a gem (Y)

Is it possible to turn off transcoding in case it can't remux a file, so you just get an error? In case I want to manually convert it. Also, does it work with the 360 as well ?

I went to the media slide on the 360 the other night and it has it listed under pc media servers, but you can't connect to it. It wouldn't be out of the Q to get it working on the 360 imo.

This thing really sounds like a gem (Y)

Is it possible to turn off transcoding in case it can't remux a file, so you just get an error? In case I want to manually convert it. Also, does it work with the 360 as well ?

It's setup so you can control everything from your console, no need to mess about with settings on your PC.

DSC_2337.jpg

This is what you'll see when you navigate to the folder your video(s) are in.

The videos you can see here if selected will ALL try to play natively, with nothing being edited/changed/transcoded. If they won't work, you'll get your normal "not supported".

If something is not supported, you go into the "TRANSCODED" folder

DSC_2340.jpg

Now it will show the same video files as before but with [mencoder] and [tsmuxer] after them.

Select Mencoder to transcode, tsmuxer to try and remux - Remuxing will only work with HD content, and HD content that is profile 4.1 - Which is 99% 720p files. Right now most 1080p content will have to be transcoded with the Mencoder option.

As I said though, for HD content you might as well just run it through MKV2VOB.

Just to clarify from earlier, as I said it can play movies/tv shows from a DVD ISO, but it represents them like this

DSC_2342.jpg

You won't get your menus, but that doesn't matter.

It's obvious what tracks are your tv episodes/movie from the length of time.

They playback in full DVD resolution, and the PS3 upscales them as normal.

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Google PS3 Media Server is the greatest thing I have ever found on the internet!!!

Its soooo easy to setup and the PS3 found the server really quick! And I can for the first time ever playback .mov,Mkv, All WMV,All Xvid and those wonderful Quicktime HD trailers on my Sony PS3!!!

This thing has played ever single video format I have thrown at it so far!

Big Thanks for posting about this amazing Media Server!! :)

I am soooo happy right now!!!

Must Have for all PS3 owners!

Every time there's a version update, it seems to reset my settings.

This is a bit annoying, as I don't want to share my entire drive... =P

Every time there's a version update, it seems to reset my settings.

This is a bit annoying, as I don't want to share my entire drive... =P

Yeah the settings resetting has to be fixed, it's a pain.

Hopefully it's only happening right now as some big changes have been going on code wise.

It's called "PS3 Media Server" :p

Being serious, nah it doesn't, dunno if it ever will or not.

When it comes to HD content, the biggest issue for the 360 is you can't have x264 and AC3 together (the two most used audio/video codecs).

3r1c, the creator of MKV2VOB explained it

There is no way to get x264+ac3 working on xbox 360.

There is 3 ways:

1. convert the ac3 to aac stereo and mux to mp4

2. convert the video to mpeg2+ac3.

3. convert the video+audio to WMV

But none of these applications do the above.

GOTSent is the best option for the 360 for video files, and then you'll need to use TVersity or some other streaming application (WMP11 even).

It's called "PS3 Media Server" :p

Being serious, nah it doesn't, dunno if it ever will or not.

When it comes to HD content, the biggest issue for the 360 is you can't have x264 and AC3 together (the two most used audio/video codecs).

3r1c, the creator of MKV2VOB explained it

But none of these applications do the above.

GOTSent is the best option for the 360 for video files, and then you'll need to use TVersity or some other streaming application (WMP11 even).

Yea I know about the x264+AC3 problem on Xbox but was more curious about the ability to get Youtube content. It's weird, if it is just UPnP server, it should work with Xbox 360. :unsure:

Yea I know about the x264+AC3 problem on Xbox but was more curious about the ability to get Youtube content. It's weird, if it is just UPnP server, it should work with Xbox 360. :unsure:

It's probably just the way it's been made then? I mean it specifically looks for a PS3

ps3meida.jpg

Yeah the settings resetting has to be fixed, it's a pain.

Hopefully it's only happening right now as some big changes have been going on code wise.

I submitted a bug report regardless, let's see if it can make it to the next release, so that I don't have to re-do the settings more than updating to that version :p