[REVIEW] AT&T Quickfire

wvcaudill2

The AT&T Quickfire is one of the latest touch-screen, multimedia capable phones, featuring a full QWERTY keyboard!

att_quickfire_silver_l.gif Price after 2-year service agreement and rebates: $99.99

Below is my review for this phone and my recomendation.

Size

At first glance, the AT&T Quickfire is like stepping into the past with its somewhat bulky and heavy build. Weighing in at 4.8 ounces, this phone is by no means little. One of the biggest drawbacks to owning this phone, is its depth. While those of you who are used to carry phones such as the Blackberry, I was not, and I found the .7 inches in depth to be quite annoying.

Look and Feel

As for its aesthetic value, the phone comes in silver or a nice shade of green. The front is very simplified, with just 3 buttons underneath the display. Those 3 buttons are the Call, applications, and end call buttons. Above the display is the speaker. On the sides of the phone are the handy Volume controls as well as the voice recorder and camera buttons. Upon sliding the phone open, you will find a nice-looking full QWERTY keyboard, similar to that of the Blackberry. I found the buttons were in very usefull places, and the keyboard was, for the most part, easy to use. On the back of the phone is the camera, and battery compartment.

Touch Screen

The display is a nice 2.8 inches diagonal, and produces vivid colors. The display was very impressive, and the high-definition pictures I put on the phone displayed beautifully. The touch screen can take some time getting used to if you have never used on before. This touch screen responds very well, if you know how to use it. Unlike many other touch screen phones, you need to make good contact with it. Meaning, a rapid-quick tap wont always work. I found the tough screen very responsive and easy to use. The only problem I seem to have is when using the scrollbar, I cannot get it to go all the way to the top. One last problem is that once in a full moon the touch screen may become unrepsonsive while the phone is processing something.

Navigation

The touch sensitive navigation menu was well thought-out, and I had no trouble at all getting where I need to be. The menu is designed with the standard AT&T menu items, so if you have used an AT&T phone before, the menu should not be difficult to use. When you open the phone up to use the QWERTY keyboard, the navigation screen adjusts to landscape mode, and displays a different set of menu items. I found this to be really helpful, as I had to navigate through much less to get to the messaging function.

Features

This phone is packed-full of useful features. From the standard calendar to web browser to GPS system, this phone had everything I could ever need. One of the most exciting features to me was all the different wireless technologies loaded on this phone. These technologies, such as the use of the 3G and EDGE networks allowed me to rapidly fire off messages and browse the internet with little loading time.

Conclusion

This was my first QWERTY keyboard and touch screen phone, and after the initial learning curve, I found this phone far-exceded my expectations and demands. I would recomend this phone to anyone, and I definitely dont regret purchasing it.

All-in-all, I will rate this phone a 4.5/5

Click here to go to the AT&T Quickfire Page

Skulltrail

Don't really like the shape or alignment of the buttons, however, everything else looks great. 4.5/5

wvcaudill2
Cool looking phone

Yeah, its pretty awesome

Clinteger

I do not like this phone at all. I had trouble in store with the touch screen, and AT&T's other recent qwerty dumbphones are much nicer than this, in my opinion.

wvcaudill2
I do not like this phone at all. I had trouble in store with the touch screen, and AT&T's other recent qwerty dumbphones are much nicer than this, in my opinion.

I dont know how you could have trouble with the touch screen. At first I did, till I got use to it. I didnt say this phone was the best that AT&T offered, just that it was a good low-price option.

• 1 month later...
wvcaudill2

UPDATE: AT&T has mandated that this phone be removed from the shelves of all stores and to stop selling this phone immediately do to this device not living up to AT&T standards.

NoneAvail
UPDATE: AT&T has mandated that this phone be removed from the shelves of all stores and to stop selling this phone immediately do to this device not living up to AT&T standards.

Yes and, this phone was has a callback due to the phone overheating and causing a fire... kinda like the Dell/Apple Batteries :woot:

Other than that, it's an T-Mobile G1 copy cat, I've used the quickfire and I own the G1, and It just doesn't feel right, its slow and the web browser on it its alright, just not too optimized for pages with grapics.

Read it here http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/25/atandt-...-into-irony-if/

Edited by XDViPeR
  • 2 weeks later...
+jamesyfx

That was.. Quick.

DiEMOS

No pics. and yea that was pretty quick.

Draconian Guppy
Yes and, this phone was has a callback due to the phone overheating and causing a fire... kinda like the Dell/Apple Batteries :woot:

Other than that, it's an T-Mobile G1 copy cat, I've used the quickfire and I own the G1, and It just doesn't feel right, its slow and the web browser on it its alright, just not too optimized for pages with grapics.

Read it here http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/25/atandt-...-into-irony-if/

+1 for the G1 clone... isn't there already a chinese company that clones phones? Meizu?