If Win7 supports both WDDM 1.1 and 1.0 why Vista SP2 can't have it?

DrCheese
Microsoft is in an entirely different position to Mozilla.

The fact is the free added built-in features are also what sells the OS. IE is one of them.

A browser upgrade should no longer be a selling point in the operating system and it's no longer in MS's best interest to try to force it. They could get away with this in the past when IE was the only real browser out but no more. If they dump IE support from XP whist it's still installed on a huge variety of systems, those users will just switch to something else which they then may stick with when they do eventually upgrade to the latest and greatest OS.

iZoom

thread_delivers.jpg

This thread brings to light a question, or more like a curiosity, regarding the XP > Vista > 7 timeline of events.

Do people who use newer "versions" of Linux (sorry, don't know how the progression works) or newer Apple OS's argue as much as we do regarding similar topics?

I.E. Why doesn't Leopard support _____ from Tiger? Bad example, but just a general one

Digitalx

Well a couple of reason in contrast to things being spoken. IE, WMP etc are applications not core functions of the OS. If they released them in a service pack roll out then there would be no point in developing Windows 7 would there then people would whinge and moan about another 5 year wait. So catch 22, not everyone will be happy. Use vista or wait for 7, use what suits your needs and wants but no point questioning why microsoft can't just control the weather from the sidebar or develop time travel just because in theory it maybe possible.

• 1 year later...
Ci7

in the end

MS back-ported DX11/DW/D2D to vista (platform upgrade)

does that mean it is technically running WDDM1.1?

----

yea i do realize it is old topic

soldier1st

jjrambo is still very misinformed or he has a learning disability where he can't understand certain things. Windows 7 builds on the WDDM that was introduced in Vista and that is why Directx 11 can be backported to Vista as there are not to many changes between Vista/7 but Directx 10/11 cannot be backported to Windows XP as there are simply too many changes between XP and Vista/7. if it were possible which i believe it is then it would take alot of work which IMHO would be too much and would cost too much as it would also add complexity to XP and then companies would have to support that which would already be a mess but at some point there is only so much you can do with old tech and then you must move on.

Neoauld

jjrambo is still very misinformed or he has a learning disability where he can't understand certain things. Windows 7 builds on the WDDM that was introduced in Vista and that is why Directx 11 can be backported to Vista as there are not to many changes between Vista/7 but Directx 10/11 cannot be backported to Windows XP as there are simply too many changes between XP and Vista/7. if it were possible which i believe it is then it would take alot of work which IMHO would be too much and would cost too much as it would also add complexity to XP and then companies would have to support that which would already be a mess but at some point there is only so much you can do with old tech and then you must move on.

ZACTLY...idk why anyone is that loyal to XP. I have never run an OS more stable than Win7 on any of my PC's, and the same hardware running XP always has quirks. People need to give up their crappy pentium 3s and move on to new tech, or stop whining they cant have it if they REFUSE to give up the old.

bjoswald

I assume backporting DirectX 10/11 to XP would require a lot of reverse engineering, which wouldn't be worthwhile to them since a) the OS is almost dead anyway, and b) the only people who use XP are mostly enterprise users (who don't need DirectX 10/11).

hdood

in the end

MS back-ported DX11/DW/D2D to vista (platform upgrade)

does that mean it is technically running WDDM1.1?

No.