Yellowstone On The Brink of a Disaster

This is scary people.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090102/ap_on_...lowstone_quakes

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. ? More earthquakes are rattling Yellowstone National Park.

The small quakes include three more Friday that measured stronger than magnitude 3.0. The University of Utah Seismic Stations say the strongest was 3.5.

Several hundred quakes centered under the northern end of Yellowstone Lake have now occurred since Dec. 26. No damage has been reported.

Earthquake swarms happen fairly often in Yellowstone. But scientists say it's unusual for so many earthquakes to happen over several days.

Yellowstone lies mostly in northwestern Wyoming and is the caldera of a volcano that last erupted 70,000 years ago. Scientists have not concluded what is causing the earthquakes.

Check out this video also. It's very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZatuEFyk9I

Yeah, on another forum I go to, people are going nuts about it and talking about the eat cost of america being inhospitable, and the west coast being under water or destroyed.

Their reasoning always seems to be along the lines of "Well I saw this movie once..." :rolleyes:

Yeah, on another forum I go to, people are going nuts about it and talking about the eat cost of america being inhospitable, and the west coast being under water or destroyed.

Their reasoning always seems to be along the lines of "Well I saw this movie once..." :rolleyes:

no, the reasoning why is like Kodeine said, it's a supervalcano. you never watch the discovery channel?

Don't have pay tv.

But even then, they're large but not large enough to destroy the majority of the north american continent, there have been 5 large scale eruptions of this scale in the last 30 million years, none of them destroyed the continent.

Edited by The_Decryptor

Don't have pay tv.

But even then, they're large but not large enough to destroy the majority of the north american continent, there have been 5 large scale eruptions of this scale in the last 30 million years, none of them destroyed the continent.

Maybe it won't destroy the entire continent like Krakatoa did in 1883 but it will sure make life in the states hell on earth for a couple of years. A supervolcano with the amount of gases and ash spewed out will change weather for sure and ruin crops, transportation and public health.

P.S. Krakatoa destroyed 3/4 of the island of Rakata not a continent. Just to clarify.

Maybe it won't destroy the entire continent like Krakatoa did in 1883 but it will sure make life in the states hell on earth for a couple of years. A supervolcano with the amount of gases and ash spewed out will change weather for sure and ruin crops, transportation and public health.

P.S. Krakatoa destroyed 3/4 of the island of Rakata not a continent. Just to clarify.

Look on the bright side, under the pall of a global winter that lasts for years, people will stop bitching about global warming for a while. Its ok, the earthquakes are probably being caused by the giant magma chamber filling up. Nothing to worry about, really.

Don't have pay tv.

it's not about the actual eruption (although close by towns will get messed up), it's all the millions of tons of debris (and even worse the gasses) they manage send up into the air that's the problem

"In 2005 a two-part television docudrama entitled Supervolcano was shown on BBC, the Discovery Channel, and other television networks worldwide. It looked at the events that could take place if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupted. It featured footage of volcano eruptions from around the world and computer-generated imagery depicting the event. According to the program, such an eruption would have devastating effect across the globe and would cover virtually all of the United States with at least 1 cm of volcanic ash, causing mass destruction in the nearby vicinity and killing plants and wildlife across the continent. "

it won't destroy the world or anything, but even in the non-"worst case scenario" it would still have a major impact on the US

Really nobody cares, once it goes off then we'll take notice. Don't you get it after 9/11, we're so fcuking dumb that it takes a hit in the head for us to do something about it. So I say let it erupt.

Glad I live right on the beaches of Florida.

Well if Yellowstone goes up bigtime, you and I will both feel the effects also. Not just ash falling on us, but much cooler if not colder weather here. Crops will die, and like most of the US and Canada and Mexico, it'll suck for quite awhile.

Where's the A Team when you need them. A can of beans and a toothbrush would have built them a super-volcano-deactivator :(

The A Team? Pffft.. We need MacGuyver, stat! :p

In seriousness though... I've seen some programs about the Yellowstone caldera. If it DOES blow with as big a blast as history shows, it won't really matter WHERE you live, it will kill you. It's more than capable of becoming an extinction level event.