Yellowstone On The Brink of a Disaster

Really nobody cares, once it goes off then we'll take notice. Don't you get it after 9/11, we're so fcuking dumb that it takes a hit in the head for us to do something about it. So I say let it erupt.

Are you serious? You do realize that we can't stop volcanoes from erupting, right? :rolleyes:

why are they having earthquakes? oh yeah, they're sitting near a volcano...

Correction, on top of one.

I think now is the best time for me to move to Japan

So that when the earthquake sinks California the tsunami that wipes out Japan will take you out too? :p

This is worst case scenario IMO remember the fear of Mt. Saint Helens blowing up again recently, but nothing happened.

The media are really excelling themselves, they've actually found a new way to scare people instead of just swapping back and forth between the Credit crunch, global warming and terrorism.

Don't have pay tv.

But even then, they're large but not large enough to destroy the majority of the north american continent, there have been 5 large scale eruptions of this scale in the last 30 million years, none of them destroyed the continent.

Destroy the continent! That is not what is predicted to happen in a supervolcano eruption! lol wow. What is predicted is that the ash will spread through the atmosphere globally and block out the sun for years. ;) That would not exactly make life pleasant either you know. Of course, those that live within a 600 mile radius of the supervolcano would definitely know it and be affected first (sadly). However, it would be a global disaster without a doubt.

I love fear mongers.

I don't believe that the media should try to scare people either, but they should let people know. Better to be prepared than to end up dying from the event because you had no idea that it would happen. Also, the argument of "It could never happen!" is quite null and void to me. The last time somebody told me that something wouldn't happen was when my mother and the rest of my family told me that because Bradford, PA was in a valley, there couldn't be a tornado there. I kept telling them, "Never say never!" However, they didn't listen and sure enough, 1yr later there was an f2 tornado that struck right in downtown Bradford. ;) So, needless to say, I know better than that.

I think now is the best time for me to move to Japan

lol Not Japan!! Have you forgotten the major Earthquakes and Tsunami's in that Area. Japan is right on top the Major Asia Earthquake Zone

so moving from California (another Earthquake prone zone to Japan) you've cancelled out yourself.

go to Norway or something lol

I love reading into 2012 conspiracy crap.

IF anyone with two bits reads anything about it, they'll discover that it's just a reversal of the earths magnetic poles. It happens all the damn time.

I love reading into 2012 conspiracy crap.

IF anyone with two bits reads anything about it, they'll discover that it's just a reversal of the earths magnetic poles. It happens all the damn time.

This is true.

I'm not too sure how credible this site is, but it goes into some pretty scientific explanations about how this 2012 BS is just ... well, just BS: http://www.universetoday.com/category/2012/

Yellowstone Supervolcano Earthquakes: Update

The Yellowstone earthquakes have settled down in terms of intensity, with nothing in the 3.0+ range since January 2. If they heat up, I will be back on this story. Here is the latest from the Yellowstone Volcano Obervatory:

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW#1205-01-)

44.43?N 110.67?W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)

Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL

Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Yellowstone Lake Earthquake Swarm Summary as of 6 January 2009

Through 5 January 2009, seismic activity has markedly decreased. It is possible that the swarm has ended, though a return of activity may occur as Yellowstone swarms of the size usually last for tens of days to many weeks. About 500 earthquakes occurred between Dec. 26 through Jan. 1. Three hundred of the earthquakes (including all >M2.0) have been reviewed by seismologists. There have been 86 earthquakes with M > 2.0 and 16 earthquakes > M3.0. About 200 smaller earthquakes have yet to be reviewed. Depths are difficult to determine accurately. The best located earthquakes have depths on the order of 3 to 10 km (1.8 to 6.0 miles).

From Dec. 26 through Jan 2, the earthquake hypocenters appear to have migrated northwards, starting southeast of near Stevenson Island, with many of the latest events occurring near Fishing Bridge. The recent swarm is well above typical activity at Yellowstone. Nevertheless it is not unprecedented during the last 40 years of monitoring. Swarms are the typical mode of occurrence of earthquakes within the Yellowstone caldera, with magnitudes ranging to > 4.0. The 1985 swarm on the northwest rim of the caldera lasted for three months, with earthquakes up to M4.9 and over 3000 total events recorded. Magnitudes of earthquakes in this swarm range from zero to 3.9. Seismologists categorize those of magnitude less than 3.5 as generally not felt by persons. For perspective, earthquakes of magnitude 3.4 to 4.5 are often felt, as several of the events in this swarm have. A magnitude 5 or greater is generally required to produce damage to buildings or other structures. Improved volcano and seismic monitoring at Yellowstone gives us a greater ability to locate earthquakes, understand their source process and identify anomalous sources of seismic activity.

New equipment including precise measurements of ground motion by GPS receivers and borehole strainmeters provided by the National Science Foundation's EarthScope and Continental Dynamics Program have been used extensively during the last week of intense earthquake activity. Ground motions accompanying the swarm, from the GPS instruments will take two or more weeks to fully process.

It is worth noting that in 2004 the Yellowstone caldera began a period of accelerated uplift measured by GPS instruments that was as large as 7 cm/yr (2.7 inches/yr), three times as fast as recorded in the recorded history but has now reduced to about a maximum rate of 4 cm/yr. Scientists have modeled this deformation as due to magmatic recharge of the Yellowstone magma chamber at a depth of ~10 km (6 miles). The area of the swarm is on the eastern side of the uplift area. Earthquakes at Yellowstone are caused by a combination of geological factors including: 1) regional stress associated with normal faults (those where the valleys go down relative to the mountains) such as the nearby Teton and Hebgen Lake faults, 2) magmatic movements at depth (>7 kms or 4 miles), and 3) hydrothermal fluid activity caused as the groundwater system is heated to boiling by magmatic heat.

At this time, no one has noted any anomalous changes in surface discharges (hot springs, gas output, etc.). YVO staff from the USGS, University of Utah and Yellowstone National Park continue to carefully review all data streams that are recorded in real-time. At this time, there is no reason to believe that magma has risen to a shallow level within the crust or that a volcanic eruption is likely. The USGS Volcano alert level for Yellowstone Volcano remains at Normal/Green.

Yellowstone National Park is evaluating infrastructure near the north end of Yellowstone Lake to assess if any damage has occurred to facilities. Winter visitor activities and staff operations have not been impacted and continue as normal.

Essentially this means that it much ado about nothing. Just fear mongering.

Edited by Hurmoth

How does this relate to global warming? :ermm:

Well, there's rather a huge increase in hot air every time he opens his yap... ;) That's bound to increase the global temperature somewhat! :p

Are you serious? You do realize that we can't stop volcanoes from erupting, right? :rolleyes:

can always just throw a couple americans in there the fat will absorb all the heat and put the volcano out for good :laugh: