Future of Film-Viewing technology

First, let me state that I have blu-ray, and damn is it beautiful.

However, I before I go about re-purchasing all of my favorite films on this format, some thoughts occured to me.

1. Already I have been around for Betamax, VHS, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray. So it's almost guaranteed that more formats will be around in my lifetime.

2. Why are films still on discs? Wouldn't the purest form a movie could be in is an actual digital file? Am I thinking too futuristically here? Shouldn't movies effectively be on SD cards that we can pop into our tv sets? Or is this the future and where it's all going?

First, let me state that I have blu-ray, and damn is it beautiful.

However, I before I go about re-purchasing all of my favorite films on this format, some thoughts occured to me.

1. Already I have been around for Betamax, VHS, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray. So it's almost guaranteed that more formats will be around in my lifetime.

2. Why are films still on discs? Wouldn't the purest form a movie could be in is an actual digital file? Am I thinking too futuristically here? Shouldn't movies effectively be on SD cards that we can pop into our tv sets? Or is this the future and where it's all going?

1) of course new formats will come out

2) what's the difference between movies being on a dvd and on an SD card? they are both 1's and 0's. the future of movies is streaming from online. you don't have to leave the house, they take up no physical space, they take up no virtual space (on your drives anyways), and there is no limit to how big the file can be so it will be able to stream new, better formats and quality when they come out. hell they can even stream an IMAX movie file raw in all it's 200GB glory instead of compressing it if they wanted

this is already happening by the way. Tivo's HD box and Netflix are popular choices for this method

Blu-Ray's are "actual digital files". Files have to be stored on a medium and right now optical discs are the cheapest media for distribution.

It's all about cost and performance. Physical discs cost very little to manufacture and can be copied quite easily (and quickly).

Blu-Ray's are "actual digital files". Files have to be stored on a medium and right now optical discs are the cheapest media for distribution.

exactly. there is no conversion. blueray is not proprietary format. it just a storage medium. it will be the same file as it would be on SD card.

Thanks for the explanation. So discs are only used because it's cheap? Seems a bit too cheap if you ask me...we've been using the format for quite some time now.

Thanks for the explanation. So discs are only used because it's cheap? Seems a bit too cheap if you ask me...we've been using the format for quite some time now.

True. However, storage size has increased since the invention of the compact disc. As of December '08, Blu-ray discs can store up to 400GB of data. And that's not it. There are plans to make Blu-ray discs that can store up to 1TB of data. The formats may have changed but the same basic technology is still there. Why you ask? Well, it saves money to improve on technology then to create something from scratch. That and popularity.

So it's almost guaranteed that more formats will be around in my lifetime.

It should end with Blu-ray. I know 1080p is still not as good as the film source, but the human eye has its limits. Besides, the higher the resolution, then the bigger TV you?ll need to get in order to notice the difference and I doubt many people would want to buy TVs as big as 100".

It should end with Blu-ray. I know 1080p is still not as good as the film source, but the human eye has its limits. Besides, the higher the resolution, then the bigger TV you?ll need to get in order to notice the difference and I doubt many people would want to buy TVs as big as 100".

If I had the money and the space, I would!

If I had the money and the space, I would!

lol, I'm sure majority of Neowin members here would love 100" TVs or bigger. But the average person (which includes the non-Neowin members) wouldn't dream of buying anything over 50". With that size, 1080p should be just fine.