Working Firewall for Windows 2003 Server

The built in firewall is far from stupid.

It's main purpose is to block incoming traffic followed by the ability to port forward etc... Routing and remote access gives you more control by use of IP packet filters etc... Then you have the firewalls you all keep talking about that control incoming and outgoing traffic via Application filters etc...

I personally use ISA Server 2000 because it gives me a vast amount of control for my entire LAN. The reality is it ALL depends on what you want to stop because firewalls can work at different levels of the OSI model.

i would NEVER use zone alarm on a server. it's meant for stupid at-home users who need to feel protected from the evil h4x0r world. it's NOT meant for a corporate firewall.

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm Pro version 3.7.159

Maintenance bug fixes

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm Pro version 3.7.143

Maintenance bug fixes

Compatible with the upcoming 2003 server !!!!

welllll...if you've ever read any of my posts here in the past....you already knew the answer to that...

haven't read any of your posts before. like your sig though :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Mysterio :) yes 2003=verry good

and zonealarm is crap people just wana think there safe i use to run blackice then i learned to block the ports my self dosnt take much work to keep ur system fairly safe

nothings gonna stop everything if sombody wants in that bad there gonna get in

if you dont want apps accessing the net then dont install them :)

Jason,

For example?? :fro:

Well I Cannot tell you which Hardware firewall to get other than a hardware one is better than software based.

You need to define your requirements and read some reviews to get an idea of what meets your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Kerio Winroute Firewall works as of build 5.0.3. I had some discussions with Kerio when I installed it on build 3771 of W2K3 Ent Server and the problems were simply because MS hadn't released the final set of development tools.

I have it running on a test server and its fine.

• 2 weeks later...
ZoneAlarm Pro release 3.7.159.

ITs Compatible with 2k3 server it works great!!

This is a direct quote from Zone Labs page:

"System requirements:

IBM PC or 100% compatible, Pentium processor 233 MHz (450 MHz or higher recommended), Microsoft? Windows? 98/Me/NT/2000 and XP, 32 MB RAM (64 MB or higher recommended), 10 MB Hard disk space."

Where do you see that it is compatible with Windows 2003 Server?

My advise is simple: Until we are all sure which firewall does work 100% with 2003, stick with the built-in firewall. Something is better than nothing at all.

ZoneAlarm Pro release  3.7.159.

ITs Compatible with 2k3 server it works great!!

This is a direct quote from Zone Labs page:

"System requirements:

IBM PC or 100% compatible, Pentium processor 233 MHz (450 MHz or higher recommended), Microsoft? Windows? 98/Me/NT/2000 and XP, 32 MB RAM (64 MB or higher recommended), 10 MB Hard disk space."

Where do you see that it is compatible with Windows 2003 Server?

there was a update to support server 2003

Like I said before. I have Zone Alarm 3.7.159 but I have not installed it on Win2003 because I do not see anything on their web site that states it is fully compatible with Win2003. When they make it official that it is then I will install it. Until then I will use the built-in firewall (which sucks), but like I said before:

Something is better than nothing.