Working Firewall for Windows 2003 Server

just out of interest, does Zone Alarm Pro 5 work on MS Windows 2003 when its acting as a domain controller?

:)

585581368[/snapback]

The latest version of ZAP, 5.5.062.011, crashed my newly installed SVR2003 when loading...

The latest version of ZAP, 5.5.062.011, crashed my newly installed SVR2003 when loading...

585597597[/snapback]

I've tested ZAP v4.5.594.0 on Windows Server 2003 with Active Directory, and it works well enough for home/testing use, but I am also behind a NAT router/firewall. I have found only one glitch so far. For some reason, ZAP will not prompt to save settings as it will when running on Windows XP. If you click on the Overview -> Preferences tab, and then click the Backup button, everything is saved properly.

My only gripe with any version of Zone Alarm Pro is that it does not play well with P2P apps. VSMON.EXE will grow to hundreds of MegaBytes when using a P2P over night when installed on Windows XP.

One day I'll get around to trying Sygate...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i know it's been mention before, but i might as well put in my opinion :D

for a Windows 2003 based network/internet gateway I would use ISA Server 2004. it's good when it comes to publishing services, supports 3rd party addons, and has application level filters that can work with the various protocols.

i have also installed Symantec Enterprise Firewall, but I would not recommend this as an internal firewall. this is more of a hardcore external firewall that integrates well with Windows 2003. it does however shutoff ALOT of NT Services, and makes takes it off from Active Directory based networks, mainly cus the services needed to log into the domain are shutoff after the install. so it's basically meant to be an integrated Windows 2003 hardware firewall i suppose. it needs more tweaking if you wanna use it for authentication to ldap domains and stuff like that.

also there is Blackice. i plan to check out their server firewall product. since I already have ISA Server 2004 Standard Edition running for my internet gateway, I was thinkin of installing Blackice for internal firewall protection on my servers.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Routing and Remote Access. :rolleyes:

I can't host nothing even if I want xP

First, I don't know my router password :p

Second, when I tried unblocking a port, I got "Error: Invalid Command" :p:

on the 2 servers i have at home on my file server i use the standard windows firewall which seems to do a good job and on my ftp server i dont use one (tried the windows firewall and configured the ports but was causing problems with the ftp so i disabled it). However i do use a hardware firewall on the network and going to grc.com i get 100 % pass rate with all ports showing as being stealth :)