Anyone try a firmware overlap on an Insignia BD?

XChrome

So I am fairly certain that the newest and maybe the older versions of Best Buys Insignia Blue-ray player was in fact made by Samsung. All Insigna are this way. Some of the larger LCD TV's are in fact LG for example. Well Anyway it would seem that what they have done is a Firmware rewrite removing some of the functionality from Samsung such as Networking and Network updates.

So my question is 2 fold:

Has any site done an "Inside the ******" on these?

Has anyone tried to force a Samsung Firmware on them? I seem to remmber people doing this to unlock dome features of DVD player recoders for computers.

QuantumTrickery

They are not samsung units. The do however in some cases share some chip types. I feel sorry for anyone buying anything Insignia. Keep in mind if you are looking for firmware updates, they are coming. Very slowly, but coming.

XChrome
They are not samsung units. The do however in some cases share some chip types. I feel sorry for anyone buying anything Insignia. Keep in mind if you are looking for firmware updates, they are coming. Very slowly, but coming.

They are Samsung just like the previouse 36" and 40" LCD TVs were LG. I cannot say the current models [TV] are still LG made I have not looked at it.

Dynex in the "Generic" of the Best Buy owned Generic brands these are in fact made usually in TW by non major MFG's.

All Insigina's are either contract made for Best Buy or are the Recased/Firmwared buyouts from major suppliers.

QuantumTrickery

They get items across the boards from many manufacturers to brand items under Insignia and Dynex. Some of the Tv's were Westinghouse produced, others LG. A lot of their notebook addon products are made for them by Targus. And just to reiterate: The Blu Ray units are not manufactured/rebranded Samsungs. That is a fact.

XChrome
They get items across the boards from many manufacturers to brand items under Insignia and Dynex. Some of the Tv's were Westinghouse produced, others LG. A lot of their notebook addon products are made for them by Targus. And just to reiterate: The Blu Ray units are not manufactured/rebranded Samsungs. That is a fact.

1st gen was funai the ones currently in stores are Samsung in origin. I would have to admit that maybe the base model Samsungs are in fact made by someone else.