• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu-ray Sales Up 400% in UK

+Audioboxer    2,876
The British Video Association (BVA) has revealed that 1.5 Million Blu-ray titles were sold during the month of December, representing a nearly 400% increase over the same period last year, despite the tough economic environment. The top Blu-ray seller, not surprisingly, was Warner's 'The Dark Knight' which sold 281,000 units during the month.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2223

Lt-DavidW    2

No surprise, the players have dropped price and they have marketed Blu-ray very well this year.

Si_    0

Ha, I love the way they compare it to last year when Blu Ray was very much still a niche technology. Only PS3 owners and videophiles had it, and even then most PS3 owners never watched Bluray movies at that time. It will be interesting, and more relevant, to compare it to Dec 09.

thealexweb    204

A deep price cut for the PS3 would increase sales dramatically.

The Teej    203
Ha, I love the way they compare it to last year when Blu Ray was very much still a niche technology. Only PS3 owners and videophiles had it, and even then most PS3 owners never watched Bluray movies at that time. It will be interesting, and more relevant, to compare it to Dec 09.

But that's what happens with all technology, it gets compared to the year before. This isn't some Blu-Ray FUD being spread around, it's just reports being released to the public. Besides, this is now proof of Blu-Ray eventually becoming the #1 format, despite what naysayers (spreading FUD) say about how Blu-Ray will fail. I noticed on my Dark Knight DVD they were avdertising Blu-Ray in a similar fashion to how DVD was back when VHS was king. It felt kind of nostalgic, actually :laugh:

TruckWEB    480
A deep price cut for the PS3 would increase sales dramatically.

Microsoft chopped the price of the Xbox360, you can now have the Arcade edition cheaper than a Wii. Still, Sony seems to be happy with the current price of the PS3, even making new SKU with bigger HDD that cost MORE.

So, don't hold your breath, I don't see any price cut for the PS3. Sony does not seems to understand the current economic crunch.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Microsoft chopped the price of the Xbox360, you can now have the Arcade edition cheaper than a Wii. Still, Sony seems to be happy with the current price of the PS3, even making new SKU with bigger HDD that cost MORE.

So, don't hold your breath, I don't see any price cut for the PS3. Sony does not seems to understand the current economic crunch.

Quite the contrary, it seems you don't understand the economic crunch.

Cut the price on a product you're already losing money on = company suicide. Companies are trying to cut losses, not increase them.

You'll get your price cut sometime next year once the device has broken even on manufacturing costs.

t0mbi    0

yeah i bet the releases of The Dark night, Wanted would of drove alot of Blu Ray sales, i specifically bought them for Blu Ray.

For $10 more i got way better versions! (i think dvd looks to pixelated even on my 42" LCD)

TruckWEB    480
Quite the contrary, it seems you don't understand the economic crunch.

Cut the price on a product you're already losing money on = company suicide. Companies are trying to cut losses, not increase them.

You'll get your price cut sometime next year once the device has broken even on manufacturing costs.

So then, the PS3 is no longer the Trojan Horse for the Blu-Ray medium. It can fly on its own. More and more player can be found for much lower than $399.

Here, during the boxing day, you could have the Sony BDP-S350 for $219 with 3 movies, or the Profile 1.1 Samsung BD-P1500 for $199 with the same 3 movies.

+Audioboxer    2,876
So then, the PS3 is no longer the Trojan Horse for the Blu-Ray medium. It can fly on its own. More and more player can be found for much lower than $399.

Here, during the boxing day, you could have the Sony BDP-S350 for $219 with 3 movies, or the Profile 1.1 Samsung BD-P1500 for $199 with the same 3 movies.

Standalone players were always going to drop in price, no one ever said otherwise :blink:

The PS3 is always a viable option for the budding home theatre enthusiast for more than Blu Ray, it's a solid media server as well with upgradeable hard drive. It still remains a viable option, just not the cheapest.

We could've all forecasted that anyway, as I said above standalone players were always going to ultimately end up cheaper. They only play movies, they ain't a games device and/or media server as well.

The PS3 was the trojan horse to win the war. For market saturation though you need cheap players, and all those knock offs china import to our supermarkets.

sbauer    32

It's been quite strange. I went into Best Buy and blu-ray movies were actually sold out. I've had my PS3 for quite some time and have never had an issue getting a blu-ray movie. Target's blu-ray section, while smaller, was almost completely empty.

Coldgunner    12

I had to try 3 different stores to find The Dark Knight in stock...

If you compare shelf space now and last year you can see BD taking over. I remember going into Virgin Megastore when it opened to see huge ranges of VHS tapes and a small but growing DVD section.

Simply history repeating.

troist    4

Imo they just need to make blu-rays cheaper. I'm not willing to spend so much on a new movie, although tbh I'm quite happy with renting them. The players are cheap enough, but atm when I see a DVD on sale for ?4 at HMV and the same thing on blu-ray being ?20 I'm not gonna spend the extra just for HD, even if it is nicer. They clearly are selling though which is good because then hopefully the prices will dro:D:D

Jeremy Kyle    0

Blu Ray really is flying now! I'm sure there will be the usual crowd that will say otherwise though :rolleyes: