Apple are greedy beyond anything....

And if they really wanted to make more money, wouldnt they make it more affordable? why price a computer out of the reach of normal people? its not like a computer is an object that only the rich can afford.

Quite simply, because they can - people will still buy it.

there are two theories that i have heard as of late as to why they are pricing things the way they are.

(1) Supply and Demand: supply is high Demand is High so the price is High

Econ Fail....might want to recheck the supply high, demand high = high prices idea

^

Thanks giga. So it's clear that Apple isn't greedy, DDR3 RAM is just that expensive.

You are mistaken, the image shows that 8GB costs ~$1200, where as on the apple laptop to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB is $1200, so with apple your getting half the RAM for the same price. The single 4GB kit costs $500, when comparing that to the apple price for 2x2GB RAM you see that apple is charging 240% of the price of the US shop. I don't mind apple being greedy since after all they are a business, but making ignorant people pay 240% more for something expensive anyway is just shameful.

(You're already paying for the 4GB when you buy the laptop in the base price, so it is adding $1200 for 4GB rather than saying that 8GB costs you $1200 (It costs that much extra, which is ridiculous))

You should really study what the image is saying before you say it backs your point Denholm ;)

Also I don't understand that pricing on the crucial shop, why the hell would the 2x4GB kit price be ~240% the price of the 4GB kit, surely it should be 200% or slightly less than 200%, otherwise people will just add 2 of the 1x4GB kits to their shopping basket and they save $179 :s

Edited by Minimoose

I have an iphone and i love it!!!!! but i cannot ever see myself owning one of their computer for reasons like this;

Source

What are your thoughts?

This is your opinion, why even post this, no one cares...

^

Thanks giga. So it's clear that Apple isn't greedy, DDR3 RAM is just that expensive.

No. At apple you already paid for the 4GB, the upgrade to 8GB means you pay for the extra 4GB. That means that you pay $1180 at crucial and $1200 + the cost of the 4GB RAM that is already in the notebook at apple.

Also I don't understand that pricing on the crucial shop, why the hell would the 2x4GB kit price be ~240% the price of the 4GB kit, surely it should be 200% or slightly less than 200%, otherwise people will just add 2 of the 1x4GB kits to their shopping basket and they save $179 :s

It's either an error or they're doing the same as apple, making money off of dumb rich people. :p

US Store..

Picture%202.png

Picture%203.png

You are mistaken, the image shows that 8GB costs ~$1200, where as on the apple laptop to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB is $1200, so with apple your getting half the RAM for the same price. The single 4GB kit costs $500, when comparing that to the apple price for 2x2GB RAM you see that apple is charging 240% of the price of the US shop. I don't mind apple being greedy since after all they are a business, but making ignorant people pay 240% more for something expensive anyway is just shameful.

(You're already paying for the 4GB when you buy the laptop in the base price, so it is adding $1200 for 4GB rather than saying that 8GB costs you $1200 (It costs that much extra, which is ridiculous))

You should really study what the image is saying before you say it backs your point Denholm ;)

True there. Beat me to it :pinch:, but I will still add my thoughts. I agree with you minimoose; twice the money for the same amount of RAM. If you wanted to make your 4GB MB have 8GB RAM, you could just buy the 4GB Crucial sticks for $500 instead of shelling out $700 more to buy it from the Apple store.

In regards to the 2x4GB kit being a lot more expensive, this comes from the the cost of each individual stick being more expensive, probably because the manufacturers have to cram more chips/RAM capacity onto each stick. That's why the 2GBs are cheaper than 4GBs, which in turn are cheaper than 8GB sticks.

No. At apple you already paid for the 4GB, the upgrade to 8GB means you pay for the extra 4GB. That means that you pay $1180 at crucial and $1200 + the cost of the 4GB RAM that is already in the notebook at apple.

It's either an error or they're doing the same as apple, making money off of dumb rich people. :p

You don't pay $1180 at crucial. There's already 4GB RAM in the MB, to to get the extra 4GB, you pay either $1180 at Apple, or less than half that ($500) at Crucial. In regards to your last line, see the second section of my reply to minimoose.

Edited by redeemed

You don't pay $1180 at crucial. There's already 4GB RAM in the MB, to to get the extra 4GB, you pay either $1180 at Apple, or less than half that ($500) at Crucial. In regards to your last line, see my second reply to minimoose.

Yes, you do. There is 2x2GB in the MacBook, you can't magically change it into one 4GB module. Assuming the MacBook only has 2 slots (which im 100% sure of, because apple would otherwise let you upgrade to 4x2GB), there would be no space to put the 4GB module. :p

^ God damnit I'm slow when I'm sick...

You don't pay $1180 at crucial. There's already 4GB RAM in the MB, to to get the extra 4GB, you pay either $1180 at Apple, or less than half that ($500) at Crucial. In regards to your last line, see the second section of my reply to minimoose.

Umm I think you misread, the MB only has 2 RAM slots so 2x2GB = 4GB but what you just said means you have to take out 2 GB so your only left with 6GB then..

Already been discussed countless times.

There's only so often that I can repost my replies to this issue. Ah well . . .

Edited by LTD

Yes........ but then its like comparing a Ford against a Jaguar, they both want to make money, but at least you get quality product with a Jag. In terms of hardware there isnt much between a Windows machine and a Mac is there?

I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs. PC thing, but if you were to just look at the hardware, no, there is no difference. But because a computer is more than just its hardware, you'd have to include software, and that's where the difference is. Some would say that the "package" you get with an Apple computer is a higher quality one than the package you would get with a Windows PC, and that's what justifies the extra cost, for some people.

And if they really wanted to make more money, wouldnt they make it more affordable? why price a computer out of the reach of normal people? its not like a computer is an object that only the rich can afford.

It's not really that Apple computers are out of the reach of normal people, just more than they really have to pay. Anyway, there's a tradeoff between sales volume and sales revenue - I'm guessing Apple has determined that it makes more money by selling less at a higher price than it would by selling more at a lower price. I don't recall where I read this, but supposedly Dell, which sells lots of computers at a low price, has less revenue than Apple does.

Apple has ignored the low end market because nobody in that market is making any money.

Dell's margins vs. Apple's. Apple's share is growing while Dell is struggling. Apple's gross margins average about 33%, while Dell struggles to achieve 18%.

Apple's share of the high end market is 70%. This is where computer profits are being made. It is not in volume. That's a loser's game.

Trying to win using price as a differentiator in this market has historically been a recipe for failure.

I think kinda exactly opposite to the original poster. I own a macbook pro and love it. It's costly but then I like to think the extra money was for the OS. And Macs are the only apple product I will ever own because they are not locked down to death unlike an iPod/iPhone.

Crikey. You're right. I somehow missed the obvious. :ermm:

Apple has ignored the low end market because nobody in that market is making any money.

Dell's margins vs. Apple's. Apple's share is growing while Dell is struggling. Apple's gross margins average about 33%, while Dell struggles to achieve 18%.

Apple's share of the high end market is 70%. This is where computer profits are being made. It is not in volume. That's a loser's game.

Trying to win using price as a differentiator in this market has historically been a recipe for failure.

Very true. Nearly every company in the lower end of the market has made redundancies or gone into administration recently. Its only the companies in the higher end of the market that are making any money at the moment (and keeping the majority of their staff). Apple don't make crappy plastic computers that cost ?300. They are a premium brand that make premium products at (some may say) a premium price but that business model is working. Try telling that to some of the budget brands - oh wait you can't, they've all gone out of business.

Mac's are ok... but too expensive, over-hyped and people can say there worth the money? If mac & mac OS was that great... it would be mac in every computer shop around the world, with mac os... however it wasn't and therefore microsoft took every opportunity to do so.. I like mac, but i like windows aswell... and for a all rounder.. windows and a pc are a cheaper & a better option.. more general software, more games and you can upgrade them to your own will which wont break your bank.

Im not being biased.. if mac was better value for money.. maybe id switch..

If OSX was licenced to third-party OEM's it would be plagued by the same problems Windows has had for years. OSX is a not licenced to third-party's for a reason.

No, if you only buy one 4GiB stick, then you'll get 6GiB since the MBP comes with 2x2GiB sticks. You'll need to spend the full $1180 since you need both sticks.

P.S. 2x2GiB sticks are $103 at Crucial, so at Apple, you're essentially paying $1303 for 8GiB implying Apple's overcharging you by $123. So yes, Apple's overcharging but not to the extent people seem to think.

Why would someone need 8GB of RAM?? Though it would be sweet, 4GB is plenty.

You can never have enough. I have 8 GiB of RAM in my workstation and I'm thinking I need more. I'm pushing 80%+ ram usage.

Edited by MrA

Apple's sold RAM as always been know for overpricing, but mind you than DDR3 cost really alot, now think that is SODIMM packaging, and add the fact that DDR3 laptops are still new and there is not much market for it right now.

For that money you could buy five of the original Eee PC 701s from Technoworld.com and still have over ?50 to spare.
Hey, if I think the same way, why buy a car if I can buy 20 Bicycles for the same price???

Sorry, but how could someone bring such comparison?

actually since when laptops start supporting 4GB+ ? :unsure:
Don't know, but Dell, HP and surly others have this.

No, if you only buy one 4GiB stick, then you'll get 6GiB since the MBP comes with 2x2GiB sticks. You'll need to spend the full $1180 since you need both sticks.

P.S. 2x2GiB sticks are $103 at Crucial, so at Apple, you're essentially paying $1303 for 8GiB implying Apple's overcharging you by $123. So yes, Apple's overcharging but not to the extent people seem to think.

You can never have enough. I have 8 GiB of RAM in my workstation and I'm thinking I need more. I'm pushing 80%+ ram usage.

What exactly are you doing that you need to have more than 8 gigs in a workstation?