Apple are greedy beyond anything....

As I said in my previous post, I'm referring to build quality and fit and finish of the products - not the components inside them. I'm not stupid enough that I think a Mac has special Core 2 Duo CPU's made from angel dust, or special hard drives or something. I know they're the same CPU's, HDD's, etc as found in your common or garden PC. Some things are somewhat more bespoke because of how compact the devices are - such as the cooling system on the iMac to allow so much kit to fit into such a thin enclosure.

But the car manufacturer analogy does, in many ways still stand. Many manufacturer share engines and drivetrains. Audi charge more for comparable cars to ones offered by VW, even using the same engines and drivetrains but marketing and better build quality dictate a higher price. Why aren't people going ape about Audi charging more than VW for what is essentially the same product that has been put together a bit better?

If you want to say Apple charges more for the outside I'm fine with that. I'm not going to buy one for precisely that reason, but I can understand that argument. As for build quality, I built my own Windows PC and I've never had a single problem with it other than a defective motherboard early on in it's lifetime, and Apple has the same problems. :)

Yeah, thats why I don't buy Apple products; the prices are a rip-off for what you get. ;) You'd think something that cost *both* arms and a leg could at least run Crysis...or Fallout 3...or GTAIV... :p

When you buy a Mac (especially the iMac), you?re not paying for just the components in the system; you?re also paying for the design of the system. Sure, you can spend less money building a tower that performs better than the iMac, but some people would rather pay the premium for OS X and the all-in-one form factor.

I imagine the R&D costs at Apple are astronomically high.

Apple has always discarded the included RAM and charged you for 2 New sticks when upgrading from 2-4 or 4-8. Therefore their pricing is fair for the new sticks, it's just odd that they don't discount for the included RAM you don't get, or send it included in the box anyways, so you could sell it.

I'm always amazed that Apple can price their products at such a premium and still get people (and thousands of them) to buy.

it's because people are stupid and don't know how to manage their money.

^ I don't agree with you sir.

I am not stupid and can perfectly manage my money well. I own a Macbook Pro and an iPhone. Its my first Mac and i am perfectly happy for the amount i spent. I have had the best of customer support. When I see some of my friends with HP/Dell laptop and the troubles that they are going through, i feel i am better of because my laptop works well.

it's because people are stupid and don't know how to manage their money.

And you DO??

Because I think I know my bottom line. And I have what's called "savings" and "disposable income." Can I have permission from YOU to use it how I see fit? Would that be alright?

And I only purchase what I perceive to have value for me, at least when it comes to tech. I want something I LIKE, not something that I got on the cheap. I don't buy garbage.

And I guess the academic world (aside from other sectors) is pretty stupid, because our universities are teeming with great minds that use Apple notebooks. And it's not just the students. At all.

In fact, I'd venture to say that Apple users likely know the MOST about managing their money because we can actually afford all this. That's turning the argument around a bit. Just something to consider, since there are two sides to every coin (pun intended.)

People lack common sense, end of story.

So "common sense" is buying a cheap Dell in order to slum it with Windows??

Since when was common sense synonymous with masochism?

Their memory has always been expensive. I bought mine with the least amount of memory and bought RAM from OWC. It's a heck of a lot cheaper.

The RAM issue I can totally agree with.

So "common sense" is buying a cheap Dell in order to slum it with Windows??

Since when was common sense synonymous with masochism?

I bought a cheap Dell 3 years ago. It still runs great now and does everything I need it to do. Far better idea than buying a Mac that probably would've run me at least another $300.

Dells are good computers if you remove all the bull**** that comes preloaded on them first thing.

-Spenser

You can buy a ?125,000 car or a ?35,000 car. They both do the same job but one is amazingly overpriced because you are paying for the label, not the quality. Common business knowledge..

On another note, 'Hello $600 2Ghz 3GB laptop.'

Unfortunately, the Mac users I've been exposed to are pretty much retards when it comes to technology. Now, I'm not saying all Mac users are idiots, since we have even more retards using PCs (naturally since there are more PCs out there).

A Mac to me is just a PC with Deepfreeze installed to stop morons from drowning in their own drool as they do their emails and daily browsing.

Why pay more for a Mac? Why not? If you can get away with it, then more power to them. Thing is, it's even more expensive with the Apple Care, but if you don't want to deal with headaches and problems (can be done through previously mentioned program and others on PC), then it's the way to go.

My sister got a Mac for school because she doesn't want to deal with the hassle that can accompany using a PC. She's not an idiot and I'm there to help her with all her issues, but sometimes running something without having to worry about what's on it makes life so much easier.

I switched to mac, I never had problems with windows or linux (I work in telecommunications and IT, lead technician and go-to guy for anything that has to do with anything hardware/software/os whatever related) but I DJ in my spare time and with Windows, DJ software and external soundcard controllers occasionally click (it's very minor, but when dj'ing for a club, it's not so minor). The only thing I could attribute the clicking to was the USB bus / Windows occasionally lagging.

Also, apple invests a lot into making a good looking/sounding product. That's worth something to me. Whenever I built PCs I would always spend extra on getting a good sound system and a large-highres-highcontrast display. It's the part you interact with, so why cheap out on it?

Thread Cleaned

Keep it on topic guys. To think you can make generalizations about people based on what type of computer they use is beyond ridiculous. Quit it or warnings will be handed out.

You know, I'm amazed no-one has noticed the obvious thing in the posted Crucial prices...

1x4GB DIMM = $499. So buying 2x1x4GB DIMMs = $998

2x4GB DIMMs cost $1179

So buying the 2 in a nice box costs $181 more?

It's worth noting that to go from 4GB (2x2GB) to 8GB (2x4GB) in a Dell M6300 costs $940. Simple fact of the matter is that buying memory from the manufacturer is ALWAYS expensive.

Here is a reasonable comparison of Mac vs PC prices - http://technologizer.com/2008/08/14/are-ma...ce-and-for-all/