Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

Other questions (please answer)

EDIT:(I think I should add one more question)

Speed(speed of everything in that matter, boot, shut down, programs, etc)

7 - Very fast, love it.

1 - Extremelly slow, Lags a lot. [/Edit]

The looks

7 - Excellent, or don't really mind the looks.

1 - MS-DOS has better interface.

Overall

7 - Fantastic!

1 - Couldn't be worse.

Thankyou for taking time answering.

It seems great to me so far 7 or near it for all options other than the new taskbar. It needs work. ;)

(No, I'm not arguing about the taskbar here, there's already threads about it. :D))

You know what? it's a bloody great OS, and quick, I am very suprised. I liked Vista after SP1, but it still has to many quirks like (Folder Views , Vista never can remember your Folder View settings.) I've used Windows from Ver 3.1, and Win 7 must be one of the nicest and quickest to use, not to mention....stable thus far. I sell Win and Mac based platforms, and I must say.....Windows 7 is the "Beta1" performance king....

You know what? it's a bloody great OS, and quick, I am very suprised. I liked Vista after SP1, but it still has to many quirks like (Folder Views , Vista never can remember your Folder View settings.) I've used Windows from Ver 3.1, and Win 7 must be one of the nicest and quickest to use, not to mention....stable thus far. I sell Win and Mac based platforms, and I must say.....Windows 7 is the "Beta1" performance king....

Thanks to your opinion and welcome to neowin!(although you joined 2 years ago and this is your first post!)

I love 7. I've had zero issues with it and it runs very fast. And I LOVE the Superbar. I can't see a single thing wrong, and it performs even better on my laptop than Vista does on my desktop. (Y) (Y) (Y)

Thanks to your opinion and welcome to neowin!(although you joined 2 years ago and this is your first post!)

I normally just read.....maybe since Neowin started......This is the first time I'm quite excited about an OS since the Windows 95 Launch....Deserves a post

The looks

4: The whole Aero thing is played out now to me, kinda tired of it already. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the new taskbar.

Overall

3: Meh, I didn't really like it too much, I don't see what the big deal is.

7 :)

Jackpot! :laugh: Couldn't resist to say that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Barney for sticking this!

Honestly, first and foremost, I'm surprised at the stability. I guess I shouldn't be since this really is the Vista platform, but its impressive none the less.

The UI is what it is and to me it feels no different than xp other the some cosmetics and speed. I'd actually like to hide the superbar background and have the buttons only showing, but can't have everything can we. yes I'm a screen minimalist. :p

Only issues I've seen are third party applications but that's them and not Microsoft. So I figure in time those companies will port to 7 and all will be good.

I'm running the 64 bit version and it is smooth and functioning nicely.

So with that:

6 for looks

6 for compatibilities

7 for overall functionality (impressive as beta)

I noticed my x64 Windows 7 uses large amounts of RAM. For example, now I have running IE with a few tabs, comunicator, email, and a few gadgets, wmp... and it uses from 1.5 - 1.7 GB of RAM.

It's an awesome start with it's stability, and performance I've experienced so far. For some reason sleep mode is an issue for my computer, but other than that I'm happy.

The looks - 7

I prefer Vista over Windows 7. I like the new thumbnail previews and AERO peek and while the task bar looks better with all the colors and glass effects it's a bit overkill.

Overall - 5

-I keep getting crashes related to nVidia's drivers.

-Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't work.

-I'm getting lag when I drag windows around the desktop. Not massive but you can tell they are lagging(8800GTS so I shouldn't be seeing this). I didn't get this when I used the 32-bit edition of Windows 7 Beta.

-I hate WMP12. It looks like a step backward from WMP11(I loved the transparency near the controls) and the stupid pop up Now Playing screen is a terrible idea. Who thought having 5 pop up windows was a good idea? Even the SRS effects and other tools have their own window.

I miss the sidebar. I know you can still have gadgets but as soon as you use the magnifier or do specific things on the desktop the gadgets move and end up on top of one another. This is terrible! I have a widescreen monitor and the sidebar fits just fine. I can check the time , the news, the weather and stocks at a quick glance. I can still dot hat in Windows 7 but sometimes the gadgets are beneath other ones. Whatever Microsoft. You ruined a nice feature. And why? Because of the needed desktop real estate? That's why we run WIDESCREEN isn't it?

-I hate WMP12. It looks like a step backward from WMP11(I loved the transparency near the controls) and the stupid pop up Now Playing screen is a terrible idea. Who thought having 5 pop up windows was a good idea? Even the SRS effects and other tools have their own window.

When you open WMP the controls are on a solid backing, but once you play a video in it's own window, you'll find they go transparent as they once were. I think WMP is set up much better now with the Now Playing window being it's own thing.

The 1st beta of this OS is awesome. I think there is little doubt this will be the most successful version of Windows. MS got it right, congrats to everyone responsible for it.