Windows 7 experience

Windows 7 experience  

1,826 members have voted

1. 1. How was installation?

• 7 - Awsome, very fast, no problems!
    • 1 - Couldn't be worse. Got nasty errors, couldn't install.
  2. 2. How is compatability

• 7 - Everything compatible (programs and hardware)
    • 1 - Nothing at all, not even crucial things(processor, etc)
  3. 3. The features

• 7 - It has everything
    • 1 - It has nothing, windows 1 was better.

I think you might benefit by doing a clean install again and make note of any issues as you reinstall all your applications and drivers. Make sure to reboot after installing EVERY app or driver. This will be a time consuming process but it will help you pinpoint the cause of your problems.

Quite good overall experience after a month of using it but Explorer/Shell bugs, mainly related to video file previews, directory previews/scanning (green progress bar taking forever to complete), file operations speed (moving, copying) - annoy me very much.

I also had a few apps that couldn't be closed/killed after they crashed and the only way to close them was to push the reset button (because of course Windows couldn't even shut itself down then :). It's really strange that in some occasions it is the app that rules and not the OS. With the Task Manager I should be able to kill any app.

So far so bad. For reasons unknown, Win7 refuses to shut down. If I click shutdown, nothing happens but I cant run any other programme, wont log off, wont restart, wont run task manager, NOTHING. So I've been using it for 4 days and each day I have to turn off the power. WTF?

that happens to me sometimes. like if explorer crashes and then tries to restart (which it has never done successfully even though it works fine in vista, so i guess that's something that needs fixing) then windows just won't shut down. it happens because the process wont end but this never happened in vista.

I like it, especially after my limited exposure to Vista. Figures the Linux OS I use added all these updates to the repositories recently, guess they want to stay a step ahead of Big Brother. Sending this out using the Linux distro that dual boots with 7. Great having a fun machine in the house, and to think at one time I steered clear of anything BETA... ;)

My Windows 7 b1 7000 experience has recently changed in a way that I have to use a hardware reset switch more and more often as the only way to restart the system.

Task Manager often fails to close crashed apps/processes and the system itself also cannot close them => RESET.

BTW: what's the task manager main role if it can't close the process I want to close? I thought it runs in a privileged mode compared to other, regular apps and has control over them - obviously that's not true. I'd like the Task Manager to kill any process I want - maybe except some critical OS processes. My great hope is they fix it.

tom

I also like the fact that the OS is not running little processes in the background.

Click "Show processes from all users." :alien:

Install - 4, had many problems at first few tries, then installed quick and easily.

Compatibility - 6, Everything except Daemon tools & Crysis (not actually installed but works portably on Vista (Installed on XP))

Features - 7, Has everything I can think of lol :p.

Speed - 6, very fast. Probably about the same as Vista/XP (not with benchmarks, but with the feel of it lol).

Looks - 6, I love the Superbar! Only 1 thing is the lack of a WMP toolbar...

Overall - 6, only very minor things keep it from perfect :D

• 2 weeks later...
Apart from the 7048 Start Menu Lag, things are going well

What start menu lag? I'm not getting any real lag in 7048.

I tried installing Win7 (beta 1 x64) on my laptop (dual boot with Vista) and while it is impressive, I'd hardly ditch Vista and start using the beta as my main OS. The minimalistic approach with the tool bars actually annoys me, I don't want just text and it would of been nice to at least have an option to turn the icons back on like Vista. It doesn't detect my graphics chipset (GeForce 9500M GS) properly and as a result it's quite unstable in that part (but I blame Nvidia for that, they are on the ball with the desktop boards but leave the laptop users behind, typical), I did try visiting that Laptopvideotogo website to get the modified infs to use the desktop drivers, but that didn't end well and had to format and reinstall! The new Media Centre is very impressive and works much better then Vista's but seems MPEG2 support has been disabled (anyone get that working again?) and it still needs alot work though. Application compatibility is definitely much better then Vista and it does run very smooth to the most part. It's definitely a good OS and the improved Media Centre definitely has my attention, will I upgrade to 7 come release day? maybe, but I'll wait till RC1 before making a definitive decision though.

I just installed 7048 and it's excellent. The system info tells me for the first time that of my 4GB of ram only 2.68GB is useable. When the final comes out I'll have to install the 64-bit version.

I tried installing Win7 (beta 1 x64) on my laptop (dual boot with Vista) and while it is impressive, I'd hardly ditch Vista and start using the beta as my main OS. The minimalistic approach with the tool bars actually annoys me, I don't want just text

There's no option to display just text, where did you get that from? :blink:

When you use "Combine when full", it displays the icons *and* text.

Downloading win7 build 7057, hopefully the download source is good. ~8 hours for the download.

This will be my first time ever trying win7, I'm currently on vista sp1 (32bit). I'll report back when its installed and I tinker with it awhile.

Quick question: Is there a way to make the drives/folders automatically expand when clicked (like Windows Explorer in XP)? I like being able to drill down the folder in that view without having to expand using the arrow.

This seems trivial but it really is so annoying when using the file explorer a lot with lots of drives and folders.

Well, if evenbalance were a half decent company, they wouldn't be kicking me for unknown windows API. Punkbuster needs updated desperately. Why am I forced to use Vista to game? I guess 7 is in beta and they shouldn't have to support it, but come on, Nvidia has better support than they do, and that is saying a lot. Hell, even creative has better support.

I just want to switch to Windows 7, now.

Performance Wise, I noticed a 25% decrease in read speed of my SSD. On the other hand, it *might* be more stable with my SSD which has horrible write speeds. So in all, a slight downturn.

Performance Wise, Windows 7 needs some help - UI feels somewhat non-instant. Not for people with less than 2GB RAM. There is a slight pause when going from one mp3 to the next in WMP, odd.

Vanilla drivers are A Quality. No A+, there were two devices without drivers. After I installed drivers, one device does not have a driver still.

[XP FANBOIII ]Search is horrible, pathetic, and non-user friendly. What has ever happened to good ol' Classic Search, "Winkey + S" then "*.mp3" then "enter" and displayed all my music files :( [/XP FANBOIII]

I like the wallpaper change feature

UI is good though, Power Management, and features are pretty good though.

For now, stuff works without problems. Have not tested IE8.

I'm really enjoying the overall experience with Windows 7. Stable and really fast,that's the way to go,great. It's really nice to see Mpeg4-audio AAC can be played natively in Windows Media Player 12 but why on earth didn't they add AAC to the formats WMP can rip music into? If I want HQ AACs i should use Itunes for ripping then? I'm not talking about an audio format which is poorly supported,i'm talking about the successor of mp3 format which is compatible with almost everything nowadays. Hope to see this changed for Release Candidate