Windows 7 Sticky Notes - Everything the Notes Gadget wasn't!

Previously i had observed in my Windows 7 Observations and Screenshots thread that the Notes gadget is missing from Windows 7, and instead the sticky notes app has been given prime time position as a replacement for the Notes gadget.

I have been using the sticky notes app for two weeks now, i leave a lot of notes to myself to make sure i remember stuff, and i must say it is a much better notes and postit solution as compared to the very basic and now seemingly useless notes gadget.

Without bothering you with text, i will let the screenshots do all the talking.

defaultoa8.jpg

This is how the sticky notes open up on the first launch.

colorsrp9.png

I have already forgotten Vista, so am not sure if Vista too supported notes of different colors, but here you go, Wid 7 does.

fullscreenum7.png

Now this is my biggest complaing of the notes gadget resolved, multiple notes lying all over your screen. Feels much more personal this way.

longlistsrt0.png

Another improvement over the notes gadget, keep typing and your note will automatically increase in lenght. Make way for the To-Do lists!

dragandresizelo8.png

Offering more customizations, a user can now simply drag and resize the note according to his wishes.

taskbarpreviewmb3.png

The notes are readble via the taskbar previews, a simple but still productive tweak.

jumplistto1.png

Sticky Notes is the only app other than Windows Live Messenger offering a productive use of the jump lists!

Edited by Mathachew
Removed linked images that caused javascript popups

I agree. I am very much liking this new notes addition. I'm not using it at all at the moment, but when the situation comes up later this year, I most likely will. ;)

I enjoy the notes feature too.

The one thing I would request is an option to change the font and type size.

I'll submit feedback now :)

(feel free to do the same if you wish)

I love the new features, but I'm dissapointed that it still didn't keep some of it's old Vista features. I liked to keep it at 40% opacity and the fact that it didn't take up taskbar space was a plus. I don't see the point of a reminder sticky note if it's taking up your taskbar space. Yes, yes, the taskbar space is much more condensed now but still, I wish there was an option to leave an icon in the notification area or something.

I agree. I don't get why it's a separate program now. I don't really mind it but sticky notes seems like one of the primary reason for enabling gadgets on desktop in the first place...

How do you close a note without deleting it? I used to use a freeware named Stickies, where I could always go back into the software to restore an old note.

I like having something to take notes, but I don't like keeping them on my desktop.

How do you close a note without deleting it? I used to use a freeware named Stickies, where I could always go back into the software to restore an old note.

I like having something to take notes, but I don't like keeping them on my desktop.

Notepad? :p

OneNote?

I mean, you wouldn't use a real sticky note for that, you'd use a real notepad / notebook, right?

You can close the sticky notes by selecting the close option from the jump list. Next time you start the app, your notes will be up and running.

Two things will keep me from using this note program. First while you can resize to a larger size, nice if you need it, you can't make it smaller. I like my notes more compact, most of my reminders to myself are two or three word notes and I like to keep them rowed in a pacific place on the screen. But the real show stopper for me is to find out that they take up space on the task bar, for this reason I'll be sticking with the Vista sticky note gadget moved into Win 7. Some of my notes stay up for weeks at a time needing just a glance at that area of the desk top as a reminder, I definitely don't need or want a program that takes up space on the task bar. This is to bad really because it seems to have some other very nice features.

Thanks for a birlliant post! I had no idea sticky notes did this!

I might pin it to my taskbar and put it to startup when Windows does (when I get Windows 7).

There's no need for a notes gadget now, right? :p

you know I wouldn't use it personally, but I LOVE the feature and glads it there.. It is also very clean looking..

+1 for MS

Edited by Mathachew
Do not use the term M$

I agree; the new notes is much much better. The fact that you can resize the notes is enough change for me, but the jump lists integration makes notes even more better. It will take time getting use to seeing the notes in the taskbar, but with everything being just icons it doesn't take up much space.

Notepad? :p

OneNote?

I mean, you wouldn't use a real sticky note for that, you'd use a real notepad / notebook, right?

Hey, maybe I would.. stickies are much handier than notepads, but after using them I put the important info somewhere rather than throwing them away.

I wonder, if the Sticky Notes behavior is to not save anything, then why are they indexed?

I hope whoever worked on Sticky Notes has tried or used Stickies . The implementation really doesn't get better. You can roll them up, change opacity, it'll automatically create checkboxes for your todo list if you type [] .. check it out

OneNote is wonderful software, but creating a quick new note feels a little unwieldy compared to a sticky note.