MKV vs Blu-ray

Ya, so if h.264 is one of the compressions inside mkv, then why make up mkv and not stick with mov or avi?

MKV is open source where as MOV is not. AVI isn't the same type of container as MKV. It cannot contain subtitles, they have to be hard coded into the video. It cannot contain multiple audio streams, etc.

• 1 year later...

^ I think this guys onto something.

He's right... That's why my count is small as well. I have the same view. ;)

Ya, so if h.264 is one of the compressions inside mkv, then why make up mkv and not stick with mov or avi?

Matroska Video (mkv) is a superior container to mov, avi or mp4. It can contain any number of audio, video and sub picture streams, chapters in any format. mov is proprietary and a crappy container outside Quicktime. AVI is a container of the last generation. It can't hold most codecs and subpicture streams. It doesn't even support h264. If you have seen any avi file using h264 as video codec then it is using a hacked version of the x264, the x264 Vfw.

MKV should be officially supported and adapted, then they can squeeze in whatever language,subtitle or video stream they want.

And I for one think that optical disk should just DIE!

If a movie is stored on my server, and played on my TV using a mediacenter or some of those neat small popcornhourthingies, then

my little daughter won't ruin the discs when she starts crawling :p

So x.264 MKV downloads; That would make me a (legal) happypappy :)

MKV,

Less Container Overhead

The entire movie in one convenient package

But it really helps with compressing series,

If say, opening is always the same, (Ex: House MD) then you can take the opening out of all the episodes and have it as an external file which is loaded for all the episodes.