Exchange or alternative for home user?

I am looking at an email solution for at home and mobile, but not 100% sure where to begin.

At work we use exchange, so users have mailbox, collaborative callendars, etc.

My surrent domain (hosted by XCalibre) offers POP3, but it's sort of "not quite enough".

However, hosting exchange at home isn't a route I am keen to go down - I know I CAN do it, just not sure I should. Would mean getting a server and so on...

That said, what specs would be needed to accomplish this - I do have a few spare PCs. Or are there Linux based solutions that would provide the same thing?

Do some providers host exchange email systems for you? Is it costly?

Sorry, total noob when it comes to this side of the web.

So your wanting to send and receive mail directly to a email server using your "home" connection?

Or are you just wanting to have something exchange like for "collaborative calendars, etc."

What exact features are you thinking you want from exchange in the home?

And NO I would not suggest you host "email" on a home connection.. It has been gone over and over here.. Hosting a smtp server on a "home" connection is nothing more than an exercise in futility..

There are plenty of hosted exchange solutions.. Is the only feature you want collaborative calendars??

So your wanting to send and receive mail directly to a email server using your "home" connection?

Or are you just wanting to have something exchange like for "collaborative calendars, etc."

What exact features are you thinking you want from exchange in the home?

And NO I would not suggest you host "email" on a home connection.. It has been gone over and over here.. Hosting a smtp server on a "home" connection is nothing more than an exercise in futility..

There are plenty of hosted exchange solutions.. Is the only feature you want collaborative calendars??

As above, it's really not worth the hassle unless you want to learn it in an academic use. I would recommend you checking out the free hosting options as mentioned above, prehaps googles suite of online applications.

Yay, glad Budman is part of this thread - now I know I'm gonna get results :)

OK, so what I want:

Shared/collaborative calendars

Shared contacts

Push email to my PDA

Make any sense?

Glad you advised to not use a home server. i know I could do it, and would probably learn a lot from doing it - but ultimately it would prove a PITA!

Ah also, I am very much looking for something I can programatically access (eg display events on the desktop or my site).

Google calendars or live calendars are a possibility but not quite far enough? I'm being to vague.

Shared calendars don not require anything local.

Shared contacts do not either.

As to push email to your PDA? Does your PDA have internet access? What exactly do you mean by push to PDA?

What kind of events do you want to display on your desktop? Calendar items?

Simple solutions - google calendar

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogi...lendar%2Frender

There are many different ways to put the events in this calendar on the desktop.

Again simple solution for contacts.. Google apps now has shared contacts along with a shared contact manager.

Not clear on what you want to do with your PDA? Can you not just sync it with say outlook, using outlook tied to your google mail with imap? You can sync your outlook cal with google calendar, etc..

http://www.google.com/googlecalendar/new.html

Sync your Google Calendar with your Microsoft Outlook™ calendar

Access your calendar however and whenever you want. Check your Microsoft Outlook events on the go with Google Calendar. View your Google Calendar information offline through Microsoft Outlook calendar. Learn More

This sounsd very interesting Budman, didn't realise the Google apps had become so mature...

Push email to phone, isn't that basically like rather than a pop3 or imap synching, it actually just is always live?

Questions:

- Does Google Mail support imap?

- I can sync my Outlook calendar with google, but what about contacts?

Will go and investigate :)

You didn't say phone you said PDA.

As to sending email to your phone.. Could be as easy as just forwarding email to another address ;) Gmail allows for forwards, where does your mail go now? Does it not allow for forwarding email?

Yes Gmail supports IMAP -- for quite some time, where you been? Under a rock? ;)

As to contacts..

http://ostatic.com/blog/synch-your-google-...with-ms-outlook

Synch Your Google Calendar and Contacts with MS Outlook

Ah yes, the phone is an HTC Touch Pro - so that Windows Mobile 6.1

I currently have a few domains, which just come into a pop3 mailbox which I check with Outlook. Can I just redirect that to Gmail then? I see no reason why not..

Thanks for your ongoing help Budman :)

Sure you could have the domains directed to gmail, or just have gmail pull the email from where its being sent now.

BTW -- there is a contacts API now, so it would be quite possible to write something to auto sync your contacts.. There might even be apps out there already.

http://code.google.com/apis/contacts/

I prefer Microsoft's solution - the Google calendar sync has always been buggy and error-prone for me - it only syncs to your main calendar, so if you want to have a separate one, it won't work. Also, it is constantly running in the background, and has issues when Outlook is open and it tries to sync.

With the Outlook Connector, the integration is seamless - you can sync multiple calendars online, your contact list, and your emails.

Ooooh, API's? Fun, that is certainly something I am keen to know :) Love messing about and writing code for well documented APIs.

Can I come across as a complete noob for 2 seconds...

Sure you could have the domains directed to gmail, or just have gmail pull the email from where its being sent now.

What does that really mean?

In my control panel for the domain - I can setup mailboxes. I setup an email address and it points to a mailbox (eg work@niklouch.com forwards to "mail@niklouch.com" - "work" is just an alias).

Do I simply change where it forwards to the gmail address, or can I actually move the hosting of the address away to gmail?

Sorry...

I prefer Microsoft's solution - the Google calendar sync has always been buggy and error-prone for me - it only syncs to your main calendar, so if you want to have a separate one, it won't work. Also, it is constantly running in the background, and has issues when Outlook is open and it tries to sync.

With the Outlook Connector, the integration is seamless - you can sync multiple calendars online, your contact list, and your emails.

Outlook connector? Is there a link? Sorry am really confused by what you mean? Is this for the "Live" range of services?

Sorry - it's at http://download.live.com - download the installer, and if you have Outlook installed, there should be an option to install the connector.

Yes, it does integrate with the Live solutions - Live email, Live Contacts, Live Calendar, etc.

What I've done is forward all my email from my personal email to my @live.com email, and use that as my central spot for email. Works flawlessly across several computers.

Cheers Nate. So say your domain is "mydomain.com" - but you pick these up via your live.com address...

When you reply, what address does the recipient see?

You could host niklouch.com email on gmail if you wanted to, ie when people sent mail to someone@niklouch.com it would go directly to the gmail servers. Or you could forward the mail to an email address where its hosted now, or you could have it picked up by a gmail account.

And yes you can setup gmail to send from other address, even if not host there.. I send from multiple accounts from my gmail account, ie my isp email address for example.

Wow...

Didn't realise the gmail services were so feature rich. I assume there will be some admin to do with the domain when it comes to relocating the email, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Do you happen to know a tutorial to this ("You could host niklouch.com email on gmail if you wanted to") otherwise I shall google it.

Thank you for all your help.

Cheers Nate. So say your domain is "mydomain.com" - but you pick these up via your live.com address...

When you reply, what address does the recipient see?

You can have it use any domain you currently have access to - there's a basic process to verify that you actually have access to that domain.

So, when the person receives the email, instead of seeing example@live.com, they'll see example2@mydomain.com.

What's cooler is that if someone emails your @live.com email, they'll receive your response from your @live.com email, and if someone emails your @mydomain.com email, they'll receive your response from your @mydomain.com email.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html is what you are looking for. There is a free version or you can pay $40.00 a year per mailbox and get support, more space, more control/features, etc.

I started to use the Google Calendar to plan for CES and it is a incredibly powerful tool. You can use Seven (http://community.seven.com/main.php) to push email from Google Apps to your WM device and Sync your contacts. I believe OggSync can also sync your Google Calendar directly to your mobile phone so you never have to use Outlook.

I would use one Google account for all of my email addresses if the "Sent on behalf of" "feature" would be changed. The web interface works great, tags are awesome and the search works well. I would prefer to have all my email in one centralized server so I can access it from everywhere.

Nate, Budman - thanks for all your help. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear :)

Nate - as per my question to Budman - did you follow any sort of tutorial that you can recommend, or shall I just google it?

All I did was go to "Options -> more options" at mail.live.com (after you sign in, of course), and click "send and receive mail from other accounts". The instructions there are pretty clear and straightforward.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, run into a problem...

I go into my Hotmail, Options, More Options, Send and receive from other accounts...

All I see is the option to add an account to send from (which I have). No option to add another account to receive from :(

Any reason why?

Reason why..

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=mai...ailaccounts.htm

If you're a paying Windows Live Hotmail user and you have another e-mail account that has POP3 access, you can configure Windows Live Hotmail to receive mail from that POP3 account.

Are you a PAYING live.com customer? If not then this option is not available! On Gmail it is is FREE.

But this is not the same has HOSTING a domain on gmail, or with hotmail.

If wanting to host a domain with live mail.. here is where you look

http://domains.live.com/

Actually, I'm not a paying member and it works fine for me. What you need to do is go to the other email account, and find an option to forward the mail to a designated email address.