Alphabetical Order of ALL Characters

Does anyone happen to know the full alphabetical order of characters in windows.... for example does $ come before ! and so on. I basically want to rename a folder which puts it to the end of the list alphabetically. I know how to put it at the top with a bracket or a ! symbol, but don't know of any symbol to make it go to the bottom.

Unfortunatly the folder name starts with an O and it puts it in the middle. I can put a z at the front but i'm wondering if there is a less crappy - more professional looking character which puts the folder at the end of the non-alpha characters order.

Windows actually does funny stuff with filenames. For example, it will put "10abc" before "100abc", although "0" comes before "a".

Because of this, I'd say they don't really follow any standard rule, so you'll probably have to play around with it yourself. Personally, if I want something to float at the top, I like to put parentheses around the file or folder name. Not sure about bottom... I'm pretty sure letters come last; if I were to guess, I'd say you're out of luck.

Windows uses a more intelligent sort. I tried different characters, unfortunately I don't think anything comes after Z.

Good guess. But im still waiting on Mr Vizion to give me the miracle answer. It will be his 1000th post, make it a good one champ.

Haha sorry to disappoint. I did look on Google but I couldn't find anything on how windows orders filenames within folders. I'm sure someone on Neowin must know!

Well of course it puts 10 before 100, 10 is less than 100 :p And the alphabet only contains the characters a-z, everything else is sorted by it's code point, then it's a numeric comparison (i.e. 65 is less than 72)

I'm fairly certain it values numbers, then letters, then punctuation. No idea how it interacts with Unicode, but it'd probably just treat it as lots of punctuation.

• 1 month later...

I was searching the same thing on the Internet, when I found your post. I just register to give you an answer, because I think I have found a character that will sort after Z : Use Unicode U-017F

The look is not very esthaetics, but it works on my Vista machine...

I found it by chance by selecting / guessing in the Windows character map !

• 9 months later...

I'm a little late to the party, but CaptnCurc's solution doesn't work for me. U+017F is sorted as an S. I'm using Windows 7, so perhaps Microsoft tweaked their sort algorithm for this release.

Using the same trial-and-error technique, I found an unobtrusive character that sorts after Z. --> ꞈ

It's U+A788.

• 5 years later...
  • Skiver locked this topic