9 reasons why Blu-ray will succeed

This is why the push for BD over HD-DVD was stupid, as it regards capacity. Both formats were quite capable of storing the film and the extras, but everyone touted BD as the better format for storage purposes. Sure, it had a higher capacity at the time HD-DVD died, but if no one was ever going to come close to using it, what advantage did it have (I'm talking films only, obviously for computer use the storage advantage would be a good one)? Even Sony can't get the BD games to work without filling up huge amounts of wasted space.

im with you on this one...but i guess the extra space could allow companies to encode at continually higher bitrates, right? does that make sense?

I'm not here to argue what you feel is visible to the eye, just state more space means you can pump a higher bitrate through movies.

If that's not a benefit to you, fine!

It's just one of the things you can do with more space.

I'm not arguing that a higher bitrate would be beneficial, or not. I'm saying that space was not a factor when you talk about bitrate.

im with you on this one...but i guess the extra space could allow companies to encode at continually higher bitrates, right? does that make sense?

but at the current resolution limits, bitrates only need to go so high before they are useless.

The only reason they are slightly sharper is because ESiR use preprocessing in the encoding process.

I know. Can't argue with the results though. I think ESiR care more about quality than a lot film studios. lol

For those of you hoping that Flash will replace optical disc, just take a look at Sandisc SlotMusic (http://www.slotmusic.org/). For the same album, the cost of SlotMusic is the same or higher than the audio CD. And were only talking about a 1Gb MicroSD here....

And for all the others that still say that digital download (streaming) is the future, well, maybe where you live. Unlimited High Speed broadband is not the facto for everybody. And with more and more ISP putting CAP on downloads, how much will it cost at the end of the month to stream all those nice HD movies? And lets not talk about the crap quality of those HD streams.... You can't compare that to Blu-Ray. I say dream on....

Blu-Ray is here to stay for a long while.

I know. Can't argue with the results though. I think ESiR care more about quality than a lot film studios. lol

Unfortunately so. If studios bothered more doing decent encodes for digital downloads more people would pay for them.

Blu-ray will succeed, there's no doubt about it :)

Most people who have purchased a BD player, have made the switch from DVD movies entirely, atleast the people I know.

Most people who have purchased a BD player, have made the switch from DVD movies entirely, atleast the people I know.

If its available on Blu, I'll get it. If not I'll wait. My only exception is TV Series' like Family Guy, American Dad etc that I'll continue to buy on DVD. That also includes old shows only recorded in SD.

You can buy a PC Blu-Ray player for about ?60 now, which is probably less than $100. OK so you need a PC that can handle it, but it is a cheaper alternative to a standalone Blu-Ray player if you already have the PC.

They've replaced their entire collection with BDs?

That same exact question came to my mine as well. That's an awful lot of money to spend. Not only that, but there are TONS of movies that are on DVD, but not on Blu-ray.

The main problem I personally have with Blu-ray is that movies are just sooo expensive. The average movie costs $25 while the DVD version only costs $10-15. Even the Spider-Man trilogy is about $60 on Blu-ray and $25 on DVD. HUGE price difference there. At first, I though Blu-ray was going to succeed, but I'm starting not to think so. The prices are just taking way too long to fall. When DVDs were new, prices were falling really fast, but Blu-ray prices seem to remain the same. Hopefully, as more people buy HDTVs, more people will start buying BDs and prices will start falling.

You just aren't looking at the right places. Amazon for example, has movies on sale all the time. I rarely spend over $20 on a blu-ray. They also have many buy two get one free promotions. I have purchased seasons of television shows on blu-ray for less than the regular version. Prices have fallen a lot. Anyone who is still paying $30 for a blu-ray is just plain stupid. Like i said, if you just look around online you can get them new for $9.99 even in some cases.

Have you double dipped every movie you have ever owned? I know I haven't and I have quite a few BDs. Aren't you picking a fight by misconstruing what he posted anyways? Its pretty clear that he meant people are purchasing new releases on BD over DVD.

Have you double dipped every movie you have ever owned? I know I haven't and I have quite a few BDs. Aren't you picking a fight by misconstruing what he posted anyways? Its pretty clear that he meant people are purchasing new releases on BD over DVD.

No, it's not clear, because he said entirely. Yes, I've bought many movies more than once in more than 1 format. I wish I still had my LD player so that I had an excuse to exhibit my T2 Extended boxset.

If its available on Blu, I'll get it. If not I'll wait. My only exception is TV Series' like Family Guy, American Dad etc that I'll continue to buy on DVD. That also includes old shows only recorded in SD.

Well, thats because im guessing family guy wasen't shot in over 32 colors :p