[Breaking] Steve Jobs considering Liver Transplant.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Apple?s Steve Jobs Is Said to Be Considering Liver Transplantb>

By Connie Guglielmo, John Lauerman and Dina Bass

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc. Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs is considering a liver transplant as a result of complications after treatment for pancreatic cancer in 2004, according to people who are monitoring his illness.

Patients with Jobs?s condition can survive for 20 years or more from the time of their original cancer diagnosis, and the surgery often gives good results, said Steven Brower, professor and chairman of surgery at Mercer University School of Medicine in Savannah, Georgia. Brower hasn?t treated Jobs and doesn?t know details of his condition.

Jobs, who appeared increasingly thin and frail throughout 2008, hasn?t provided details about his condition. In a statement released Jan. 5, Jobs said he was suffering from a ?hormone imbalance? and that the remedy for his weight loss was ?relatively simple.? On Jan. 14, he announced that he was taking a five-month medical leave because his health issues were ?more complex? than he originally thought.

In a telephone interview today, Jobs said he won?t comment further on his health.

?Why don?t you guys leave me alone -- why is this important?? Jobs said.

Apple spokesman Steve Dowling declined to comment. The company?s board members -- including Intuit Inc. Chairman Bill Campbell, former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and Google Inc. CEO Eric Schmidt -- either couldn?t bePrivate Matterto comment.

Private Matter

Apple didn?t comment in detail on Jobs?s health last year, saying it was a private matter. In June, after his appearance at an Apple developers? conference renewed concern among investors that his cancer had returned, the company said only that Jobs, 53, was suffering from a ?common bug.?

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, fell $1.67 to $81.71 at 3:05 p.m. New York time today in Nasdaq Stock Market trading. The shares lost 57 percent last year.

Jobs, who co-founded Apple in 1976 and returned in 1997, transformed the company by updating the Mac with sleeker and thinner models, including the iMac in 1998 and the ultra-thin MacBook Air notebook last year. His focus on stylish and simple- to-use gadgets won over millions of buyers, turning the iPod media plSurgerye handset into best sellers.

Surgery

Jobs said in 2004 that he underwent surgery to remove a neuroendocrine islet cell tumor, a rare, slow-growing type of cancer that affects as many as 3,000 people in the U.S. annually. These tumors are distinguished by their tendency to overproduce hormones such as insulin. Excess hormones can lead to low blood sugar, low blood pressure or other symptoms.

Neuroendocrine tumors that originate in the pancreas, as Jobs?s did, often spread to the liver. One option doctors have in these cases is to perform a liver transplant, Brower said.

?It?s one of the tumors for which transplantation can be considered,? said Brower, who is a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. ?It?s rare, but it?s sometimes done.?

Jobs underwent extensive abdominal surgery when his tumor first appeared. He may have undergone a Whipple procedure, in which parts of his pancreas, small intestine, stomach and bile duct would have been removed, to try to rid his body of all cancerous tissue. The pancreas often ceasTreatment Outcomeh surgery and needs to be removed.

Treatment Outcome

Brower said the transplant might work out well in a patient whose neuroendocrine cancer began in the pancreas, in part because this tumor type often spreads only to the liver and grows so slowly. Even after having had a Whipple procedure, a patient might expect to have good quality of life, he said.

?The outcome can be quite good,? he said. ?With immunosuppressive drugs, the patient can expect to have a significant, durable life expectancy.?

Some liver transplant patients get part of an organ from a living donor. After the operation, the livers of the donor and recipient grow back to normal size.

A patient getting a liver transplant for a neuroendocrine tumor that has spread from the pancreas might get a partial organ, Brower said. Complete organs that come from cadavers are in short supply, and are generally reserved for patients with liver failure, cirrhosis or certain kinds of liver cancer, he said.

Companies have a requirement to clear up any misleading information on a CEO?s health, said Stanley Sporkin, a former federal judge and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement director. While the SEC doesn?t require a compInforming Shareholdersation, the company still should, he said.

Informing Shareholders

?The company almost has a duty or responsibility not to let the company be run by rumors,? Sporkin said. Informing shareholders is good corporate governance, while failing to do so may open the company up to insider trading, he said.

A shareholder suit related to Apple?s disclosures about Jobs?s health would be difficult, said Mark Molumphy, who represented investors in a lawsuit that claimed Apple executives lied to shareholders about backdated option awards. Apple settled the suit in September.

?Someone would probably have a good argument that this information is material,? Molumphy said. ?The hard part would be to show that the board or company officers withheld information on his true health condition. How do you prove what his true health condition is??

To contact the reporters on this story: Connie Guglielmo in San Francisco at cguglielmo1@bloomberg.net; John Lauerman in Boston at rgale5@bloomberg.net. Dina Bass in Seattle at dbass2@bloomberg.net;

Last Updated: January 16, 2009 15:31 EST

Steve Balmer must be spreading the rumors lol to move the stock prices...

Also making news at the same time, Doctors say cancer may be back.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE50F68620090116

Edited by .Kompressor

Nope, I agree. I'm amazed that sites like Bloomberg are actually trying to profit on this. Let him tell you if he wants to tell you... if he doesn't, let the man be.

The media always does stuff like this. They always blow stuff out of proportion and always get away with it. Who can hold them accountable? People aren't going to stop watching or reading the news. Sad, but this is life and is to be expected with the news outlets today. Nothing shocks me with them anymore.

...Doctors who have not treated Jobs say they can only speculate without hard information...

So we're supposed to listen to doctors who've never even met Jobs, needless to say examined him.

It's all speculation. Let the man be.

Was just thinking, has anyone else given the thought that maybe, for whatever reason, the media is trying to actively influence Apple's stock price? I mean, if they really loved Apple as much as what everyone who hates Apple says they do, then why keep reporting speculation about Jobs' health when it only hurts Apple (and Jobs considering his worth is directly tied to the stock)?

The media always does stuff like this. They always blow stuff out of proportion and always get away with it. Who can hold them accountable? People aren't going to stop watching or reading the news. Sad, but this is life and is to be expected with the news outlets today. Nothing shocks me with them anymore.

True, but it generally isn't with company personnel, but with celebrities. I suppose you could somewhat call Steve Jobs a celebrity, but I consider him more of a public figure being that he's the head of a major company.

Celebrities generally seek the spotlight for a lot of things, so I don't think reporting their going-ons is that shocking, but clearly Steve Jobs doesn't want his personal life put out there. The only time he's really in the public eye is as a spokesperson for the company to announce new products and similar events. A bit different, but that's just IMO :)

Was just thinking, has anyone else given the thought that maybe, for whatever reason, the media is trying to actively influence Apple's stock price?

Couldn't agree more.

Analysts have been doing that, the media, etc.

Was just thinking, has anyone else given the thought that maybe, for whatever reason, the media is trying to actively influence Apple's stock price? I mean, if they really loved Apple as much as what everyone who hates Apple says they do, then why keep reporting speculation about Jobs' health when it only hurts Apple (and Jobs considering his worth is directly tied to the stock)?

One word. Money.

The whole liver issue is complete speculation as yet. Doctors who haven't treated him are "puzzled." I might be too if I hadn't treated him.

And speculation is fine, but the title is a bit misleading.

Not 100%, but I'm almost sure that attempting to manipulate stock prices is illegal -- at least in the United States. Whether it's through misleading or false information or other means.

good god... whats going to be the breaking news tomorrow??? "doctors go to media to discuss jobs' medical condition in hopes of lowering apple stocks so they can buy in before the bounce back once the market stops basing apples performance on one guy"

Not 100%, but I'm almost sure that attempting to manipulate stock prices is illegal -- at least in the United States. Whether it's through misleading or false information or other means.

Oh I'm sure you're right about that, but how do you prove they're doing it on purpose and to manipulate the stock price?

don't shoot the messenger.

I'm just relaying what is all over the news now....just caught it early.

?Why don?t you guys leave me alone -- why is this important?? Jobs said.

Couldn't have said it better myself. All this crap from the media is no doubt giving him more stress than he had before. People need to leave him alone and let him get back to himself.

Check out how some people really blow this out of proportion.. ... an argument breaks out on CNBC discussions between blog reporters and cnbc analysts over Job's health reports.

9to5mac.com

Fri, 01/16/2009 - 10:55 ? Chauncey Dupree

Dan "Fake Steve" Lyons has penned a pretty nasty (but in many ways true) piece about the Apple PR Machine:

That's what happened to the poor guy at CNBC. Sure, he got his share of "exclusive" 10-minute spots with Steve Jobs. You can find them on YouTube. They look like training videos for a correspondence course on bootlicking. Now, of course, the CNBC guy says he's outraged. He sputters about how Apple has been irresponsible and "deplorable." His pals at Apple won't care. They're already moving on to the next useful idiot. Among the Silicon Valley press corps there is no shortage of them.

Check out how some people really blow this out of proportion.. ... an argument breaks out on CNBC discussions between blog reporters and cnbc analysts over Job's health reports.

Out of proportion? Are you referencing Lyons or that CNBC iTart who still "trusts" his sources and was summarily embarrassed? Lyons finally called out the tech media's complicity in abetting AAPL PR bullcrap.

How many times has AAPL whored out Walt Mossberg/Pogue quotes in their presentations?? He pointed out that the former CNBC Silicon Valley bureau chief is now the head of Apple PR.... blasphemy!!

One thing about Jobs' letter 10days ago....fanboi's are definitely hormonal...:D

In my eyes, if Microsoft can be fine without Bill Gates, then Apple will be fine without Steve Jobs.

Not taking any credit away from those two people, but the people who have been assigned to replace them (either temporarily or permanently) are perfectly capable people.

Out of proportion? Are you referencing Lyons or that CNBC iTart who still "trusts" his sources and was summarily embarrassed? Lyons finally called out the tech media's complicity in abetting AAPL PR bullcrap.

How many times has AAPL whored out Walt Mossberg/Pogue quotes in their presentations?? He pointed out that the former CNBC Silicon Valley bureau chief is now the head of Apple PR.... blasphemy!!

One thing about Jobs' letter 10days ago....fanboi's are definitely hormonal...:D

Don't get too misty-eyed about Lyons.

This is the same guy that got "played and punked" himself by SCO. He then went on to become one of SCO's loudest cheerleaders. He got pretty much everything about SCO's case and chances wrong.