How to reduce heat from a computer? (for Summer)

First of all, this is not asking how to have a good airflow inside the case but it's more towards my bedroom , which can get very hot during summer

My bedroom has a very bad airflow and the room temperature can get so hot especially when I have computer turned on after a while. Is there a way to reduce the heat generated from my computer?

Some possibilities that I can think of (please tell me if it's right or wrong):

1) Don't play 3D hardcore games as the video card will generate more heat?

2) If I open the CPU case + a direct blow from a fan, will it help or it'll actually heat up my room faster?

3) In Vista, I can set the processor power less than 100%. Will this help much? Things will go much slower though

The best solution is of course, don't turn on my computer :{ but it is my life lol

U guys have any other suggestions? (besides not turning on my computer or buying an air con? :D)

well, #1 and 3 are good, 2 isn't...the energy stays the same anyways (technically, a fan mildly accelerates the air, increasing the temperature. It's not much at all but it still happens), so the room will heat up the same.

Personally, I like the idea of running duct work from the back out the window. I had a friend who did this and it made a big difference.

1. ...yes it will generate more heat

2. The heat output of a computer does not change because you blow a fan on it

3. Somewhat, depending on the heat profile of the rest of your system

Turn it off/sleep it when you're not using it. Let your hard disks spin down when possible. If the temperature outside is cooler, make sure your ROOM has proper airflow (open windows and doors, use a fan to bring air into your room, etc).

My room used to be facing the sun during most of the day, so I put a drape of sorts on the outside of the window to keep the sun out. May or may not be doable for you.

Consider buying a netbook or some similar low-power device if you're just going to be reading the web/emailing/iming/etc.

If I just watch movies on the computer, will it generate roughly the same heat from the video card?

Put it in an air conditioned room ^_^

Sadly, I rent an apartment with a friend and no room has an air con :D

My room used to be facing the sun during most of the day, so I put a drape of sorts on the outside of the window to keep the sun out.

Already put an "emergency shelter" on that using some marketing brochures as you can see here lol

I'm sure watching movies will generate less heat, but it's still going to get quite hot.

It doesn't help much when it's on the inside of the window. Aluminum foil might be effective.

Aluminum foil might be effective.

I know.. I was thinking of that too but I'm afraid of the sun light reflection to the street below can be quite dangerous :( (I'm on the 5th floor)

Also a good idea to clean up the components once a year to remove dust accumulated inside the case. This should slow the rate of wear and tear on the hardware and improve the fan's cooling efficiency.

Could you have a small fan blowing on it, like a room fan?

Well i do have a small fan, which I turn on the whole night to keep my being a bit comfortable

Cracking a window doesn't help when the weather outside is already hot :)

Well i do have a small fan, which I turn on the whole night to keep my being a bit comfortable

Cracking a window doesn't help when the weather outside is already hot :)

Two fans then. One for your machine and one for you! :D

Maybe figure out some way to vent the exhaust from the computer outside? I dunno.

get some clothes dryer duct hose. its about 3-4 inches across tubing hook it to the case fan and set the case fan to BLOW OUT not suck in and then route that somewhere else

Improve room temperature. Lower CPU voltage (but still maintaining stability), maybe turn off your monitor when you're away from the computer since that produces heat as well and maybe try to have a bit of space behind your computer such that heat can be dissipated more easily (especially important since you indicated that your room has poor airflow).

If worse comes to worse you can always install an air conditioner. I don't think taking the side panel off your case and aiming a fan at it is a very good idea.

Guys, watercooling the thing or installing more fans won't help - the same amount of heat is going to be present in his room.

Two options: reduce heat output (get more energy-efficient parts, or do less demanding tasks), or move that heat elsewhere, as others have suggested.

again guys, this is not talking about the air flow INSIDE my computer, but IN MY ROOM :)

lol... love the home made portable air conditioner..

get some clothes dryer duct hose. its about 3-4 inches across tubing hook it to the case fan and set the case fan to BLOW OUT not suck in and then route that somewhere else

Exactly. I was trying to think of what that size tubing was called. You'd still want the computer to take in air on some of the fans to cool off the machine, but for any fans that output the air, those would have to have the tubing attached and routed somewhere.

I have the same problem as you up here in QLD. I had to use the PC with it side off and a desk fan blowing at the 2 hard drives otherwise the drives will overheat and spit a handful of BSODs (can't remember what line but it was about paging file instack error). I had endured hundreds of this BSODs. But when it's cool (like at night time), I have no problems playing games. Works great but in the day...5 minutes of gameplay = BSOD.

So I am in the process of replacing this stupid crap computer with a brand new setup. I have a new case ready that has a 20cm fan built into the side and a couple 12cm fans. I just need to pick up a CPU for it.

But this is what mine looks like currently. Remember we are in summer, extremely hot, like 35'C and this house absorbs more heat than the computer. :( Yeah I know of the dust. The second I give it a cleanup more dust gets introduced :( I live on a dirt road so that's why.

post-30282-1232383823_thumb.jpg