'Sir' Zinedine Zidane Receives A French 'Knighthood' Upgrad

Zinedine Zidane will be awarded the Legion of Honour, the French equivalent of a knighthood, it has been announced today.

French footballing great Zinedine Zidane will have his ranking in the Legion lifted from a knight to an officer it was announced this afternoon.

At 36 years of age, 'Zizou' will be remembered as one of the truly great footballers of his generation, performing with Cannes, Girondins de Bordeaux, Juventus, Real Madrid and France with distinction during a career that spanned 18 seasons.

The L?gion d'honneur, as the French recognise it, has five levels, of which Zidane has been promoted to the fourth-most rank, officer – one step ahead of a knight. There is a maximum quota of 10,000 officers at any one time so the award is truly unique and special.

He deserves it..:happy::

All I'll remember him by is his infamous headbutting at the World Cup.... :shiftyninja:

I remember him for his headed goals against Brazil in the WC final.. anyways the man knew how to use his head :p

I remember him doing his 360 degrees spins and taking ball past the opposing players :p

He was unstoppable at times.. another thing I noted abt him was presence.. like all the great players.. his presence lifted the team as well as made opposition nervous.. he will be remembered as one of the greats..

Some other players who had presence were.. Roy Keane, Viera and Bergkamp amongst others.. (being a bit Arsenal biased maybe :rolleyes: )

He recieved the Legion d'Honneur after the World Cup 1998, september 1st exactly. He was then a Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur. The 1/1/09 he was made Officier de la L?gion d'Honneur, wich is the second rank.