Wine/grub/ configuration Problems

I have a dell dimension b110. It has an nvidia 6200 something videocard. With 1 hdd 160 g and another with 80 g. I have two gigs of memory.

I have a triboot system. Mainly because I forgot how big my secondary hdd was.

Name Mount point type Device Enabled

I have: On hdd 1 Partition 1 = 71.9 gb /dev/sda1

Partition 2 = 1.0 kb /proc proc yes

Partition 5 = 3.0 gb /dev/sda5

Partition 6 = 71.0 gb / ext3 /dev/sda6 yes

Partition 7 = 3.1 gb none swap /dev/sda7 yes

On hdd 2 : Partition 1 = 71.4 gb /dev/sdb1

Partition 2 = 1.0 kb /dev/sdb2

Partition 5 = 3.1 gb /dev/sdb5

I have ubuntu 8.1, winxp home and kubuntu hardy heron.

I was told I could play my windows games using wine. I don't know if I am a complete knuckle head or what, but I have been trying for a couple of weeks and I am no nearer than I was before I began. I have wine installed but not real sure about how to configure the thing. Wine is installed, however the only program listed is notepad. And since I installed Kubuntu, I have lost the ability to find my grub menu in the terminal. So I can't reset the seconds for longer than 8.

If you need more clarification, let me know, I am planning to get rid of one of the two linux os' but I haven't decided which one yet. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,

Jen

Try finding more info at www.winehq.org look up your program you are wanting to run in the Application Database.

Also with wine the program and game won't show up until you install the game using wine-... example put Game cd in (with the wine 70% of the time wine will autostart the autoplay or setup) if that does not happen then mount the cd in or if it placed it on the desktop find the setup or the .msi file for the game and choose install.

that and to find where grub is I belive the command at the terminal is

df /boot

That should tell you where the /boot folder is and that is where gurb in most distro's resides.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

Also if you have pidgin installed and can goto the Irc check out channel #winehq

they can help you configure games.

Maybe I'm missing something but why exactly do you want to play windows games on a linux distro using Wine? I could see the point if you didn't have a Windows installation but you're triple booting. Why not just play them on Windows instead since you can easily boot into XP? Unless you're running very simple games, running them on Windows should be faster than through Wine

P.S Welcome to Neowin! :)

Your GRUB configuration is located in /boot/grub/menu.lst. To edit it manually, open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

To configure WINE open a terminal and run:

winecfg

This will launch the WINE configuration tool.

After configuring it, go to the Kubuntu menu > System Settings > Advanced > File Associations

In the filter box write "*.exe" select application > x-ms-dos-executable and move up "Wine Windows Program Loader".

Now to run any Windows executable just double-click on it from a file browser and it will launch that executable.

With wine installed, you should be able to double-click an exe to run it.

The installer will install itself into the environment that wine tells it exists as the "Windows" drive C: (usually in your home, in a hidden ".wine" directory).

Guild Wars has a demo. I installed it, and it put its files in:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars/

I can start it manually from the terminal by changing to that directory and doing a:

wine Gw.exe

I suppose if I were so inclined, I could have a menu shortcut. I use fluxbox, so I don't have desktop icons, so I could not get a desktop shortcut (obviously).

P.S. A big :pinch: at the title. :p

I open a terminal and this is what I get:

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

[sudo] password for jennifer:

sudo: gedit: command not found

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$

I double click City of Heroes updater.exe, I get that the download was great, I click ok, next and it dissappears and wine gives me this error: Failed to Create OpenGL Rendering Context.

Thanks for the help!

Why would I want to get away from windows you ask? Because it is a challenge and I love challenges. Especially when the frustration is knee deep. And as my hubby says, I'm a futzer, I am never quite happy unless I have taken something apart, or am in the process of trying to get something together.

The problem may not be wine. You might not have 3D acceleration through your video driver.

Can you do the following in a terminal to see what it tellls you about your 3D rendering?

glxinfo | grep rendering

gedit needs to be installed first, it doesn't come with Kubuntu (KDE) as it is a GTK/GNOME application (it's available in Ubuntu). Otherwise you won't be able to use it.

sudo apt-get install gedit

You could also use another editor too, kate for example would do the same task as gedit (with the bonus of having a more friendly name too). Just referred you to gedit as it is common to be editing configuration files (don't ask why) with it.

Also you are right. There is no need to be having Kubuntu and Ubuntu installed at the same time. It's in fact a waste of precious space in your HDD and an annoyance because each time you want to use another different desktop environment you have to reboot your PC! No need for that.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Will install you GNOME desktop in Kubuntu.

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Will install you KDE desktop in Ubuntu.

And then you just select the desktop you want to use when you login from the login manager.

Choose the buntu you like best and get rid of the other. :)

And the results of glxinfo| grep rendering are:

The program 'glxinfo' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

bash: glxinfo: command not found

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

Processing triggers for libc6 ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

** (gedit:8354): WARNING **: Throbber animation not found

** (gedit:8354): WARNING **: Throbber fallback animation not found either

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering

direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

I checked out my hardware drivers and found: "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system.

Component Enabled Status

-Device driver

Nvidia accelerated graphics driver (latest cards) unchecked box not in use

I installed gedit. Thanks.

ok, :pinch: i had to reinstall kubuntu, cuz I was futzing and I stopped it from loading all together. :rolleyes: Oops. any who, this is what I get now when I type glxinfo | grep rendering in terminal:

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

I believe so. I open adept and adept says Nvidia-glx-legacy along with nvidia-kernel-common are both installed.

Why reinstall? Wouldn't load how, the graphical server wouldn't load or Kubuntu itself?

Type in:

sudo modprobe nvidia

Then look at your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It should contain something like this in the device section:

Section "Device"
		Identifier	 "Card0"
		VendorName	 "All"
		BoardName	  "All"
		Driver  "nvidia"
		Option  "NoLogo"		"True"
EndSection

After that done restart you Xserver, logout and press CTRL+ALT+Backspace

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia

Not loading nvidia_new module; not used in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file under device it says:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

EndSection

jennifer@jennifer-desktop:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia

Not loading nvidia_new module; not used in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file under device it says:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

EndSection

There. You have to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to use the NVIDIA driver.

sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And add the following to your device section:

Section "Device"
		Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
		VendorName	 "All"
		BoardName	  "All"
		Driver  "nvidia"
		Option  "NoLogo"		"True"
EndSection

Then restart the Xserver.

Ok, :ninja: after much futzing I went back to my ubuntu install and updated the nvidia driver and checked the box for my hardware driver and restarted the compy. :blush: I don't understand why these steps didn't work in Kubuntu. :huh: I am going to stick with my ubuntu after all. :happy: Thanks all so much for your generous support and information that you have shared with me. :happy:

Don't mention it. Glad you got it working. :)

If you wish to install KDE on your Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

will do the trick. It will not affect your current GNOME desktop and will install KDE. You can choose to what environment you wish to login from the login manager. After all, Kubuntu, is just Ubuntu with the KDE environment. ;)