Wireless router + HDTV

Hello gang,

I'm looking to purchase the Dell XPS 420 and Media Center Extender and a good wireless router so that I can use Cable Cards to record off my Time Warner cable and view the tv in the living room or master bedroom, on the far left, as opposed to the two seperate cable boxes we've had for the past 7 years We live in a Manhattan apt (see attached) and I want this to REALLY work. It SEEMS that the 802.11n routers will work, but I'd like some of your opinions.

I have also thought about using the electrical system as a way to route this data... the middle bedroom is our library/office.

Any thoughts?

post-45653-1232836227.jpg

Thanks ROM,

I would rather not cut holes in the wall.... but at this moment it's a real thought. I would like to house the computer in the middle room (2nd bedoom space used as library) so that the bedroom and library don't have to see the techno mass. So that leaves me running a HDMI into the living room and a network cable into the bedroom. HUmmm....

Ahh, as someone who just spent $550 AUS on 802.11n.. probably worthwhile going cable. :p Mine can generally stream 720p content ok, but HDTV in Australia is 1080p, which n isn't capable of, so its kinda pointless. Didn't find that out till later. :( Is getting a wired network installed out of the question?

Linksys WRT610N - Router

Dlink DAP-1522 - Access Point

Maybe you would have better luck with a different router, the 610N gets so damn hot. Not sure what my distance is...maybe 17-20 metres (could be mega wrong though) through about 4 walls (bad angles though).

802.11n should be fast enough for 1080p? I really don't see the problem...

Wow, your right I'm sorry. :) I was on 2.4ghz N, but your scepticism made me test this morning and right while I was testing, mum used the cordless phone. Poof! Good bye signal! Switched to 5ghz and increased the height of the router and rotated my access point to face the router and now I'm all good, can watch live TV and stream my recorded TV all good, so my 720p vids should be fine as well. :) I get better signal though if the Linksys WRT610N is wall mounted, but sitting flat gives mostly perfect signal, but occasionally it dips. :)

Whats your setup zerolimit? :)

Thanks for the responses. So it seems that a new router that is .11n would be good enough? I will think about wiring the place. We are also moving from this apt in Nov (most likely) so I may wait untl then. (drat)