Changing the color settings for my Samsung LN32A550

You cutting the power to the set via a power strip switch? Or did you maybe choose "store" in the initial setup when it asked about where you would be using the set?

I am trying to use custom settings from this forum. Every time I change the settings though (for "Movie"), a day later it always reverts back to what it was before. Any ideas?

That's because you set your TV to Shop mode. Read your manual to find out how to switch it back to Home mode.

Thanks got it switched...hopefully! Even with presets from AVS, I still don't like Movie settings, maybe because I'm trying to use them for normal TV watching, but oh well. :p

Thanks got it switched...hopefully! Even with presets from AVS, I still don't like Movie settings, maybe because I'm trying to use them for normal TV watching, but oh well. :p

Yeah, I tried that out for a while and I didn't care for it. The picture is too dark. I think that setting works best in a dark room. My apartment is always brightly lit, so Standard setting works best for me.

My advise would be to get a cheap calibration disc. The Monster/ISF one is insanely easy to use. It's not as technical as the DVE or Avia, but it's good for what it is. Either way, it will help you get the brightness and contrast dead on while helping you get the color and sharpness near where they should be.

My advise would be to get a cheap calibration disc. The Monster/ISF one is insanely easy to use. It's not as technical as the DVE or Avia, but it's good for what it is. Either way, it will help you get the brightness and contrast dead on while helping you get the color and sharpness near where they should be.

The Avia disc doesn't work for me. First, the contrast test pattern doesn't work. It tells you to raise the contrast until the second bar disappears, then lower it until it's barely visible. But the problem is, the second bar is always visible no matter how high the contrast is. Second, there's no test pattern to adjust the backlight. And those two setting are the most important, IMO, since they determine how bright the picture should be.

The Avia disc doesn't work for me. First, the contrast test pattern doesn't work. It tells you to raise the contrast until the second bar disappears, then lower it until it's barely visible. But the problem is, the second bar is always visible no matter how high the contrast is. Second, there's no test pattern to adjust the backlight. And those two setting are the most important, IMO, since they determine how bright the picture should be.

Backlight doesn't need to be calibrated nearly as much as brightness and contrast. You'll find the image, once calibrated, stays, basically, the same regardless of the backlight setting.

Also, if you're using any discs, make sure dynamic contrast is turned off. It'll battle you the whole way.

Backlight doesn't need to be calibrated nearly as much as brightness and contrast. You'll find the image, once calibrated, stays, basically, the same regardless of the backlight setting.

Also, if you're using any discs, make sure dynamic contrast is turned off. It'll battle you the whole way.

Once again, could you guys recommend me your #1 disc of choice?

Once again, could you guys recommend me your #1 disc of choice?

I'm happy with the Monster/ISF disc. I was able to borrow it for free, so that factored into my decision, but if you want something on the simpler side of things, it's the way to go.

Also tried that for about a week and I couldn't stand it. It's like watching TV with sunglasses on. It was too dark. In a nice brightly lit room, such as my apartment, my TV looks best with the Dynamic Contrast on.

Also tried that for about a week and I couldn't stand it. It's like watching TV with sunglasses on. It was too dark. In a nice brightly lit room, such as my apartment, my TV looks best with the Dynamic Contrast on.

Then forget about calibrating it. I set up a bunch of TV's at work this week and, on all of them, I turned DC off. On a few, I was shocked at the difference. DC really screws with the picture these days.

You need 2 presets; dark and normal viewing. Most presets are set for theatre-like viewing, which is not a room lit like a supernova at high noon. You don't see a lot of movie theatres lit like that, do you?

You need 2 presets; dark and normal viewing. Most presets are set for theatre-like viewing, which is not a room lit like a supernova at high noon. You don't see a lot of movie theatres lit like that, do you?

Yeah, I can turn off the lights in my room when watching, but I choose not to. I don't like watching in the dark.

Normally we use the dynamic view with everybody tv. Even when we have all the lights off, the preset "movie" still just doesn't look right so we always end up changing it back to Dynamic.

I guess if I can ever get it calibrated right maybe I can leave it at movie for completely dark viewing.

Normally we use the dynamic view with everybody tv. Even when we have all the lights off, the preset "movie" still just doesn't look right so we always end up changing it back to Dynamic.

I guess if I can ever get it calibrated right maybe I can leave it at movie for completely dark viewing.

Dynamic mode is different from Dynamic Contrast. Dynamic mode is a preset calibration that is extremely vivid and should not be used. Dynamic Contrast is just a little enhancement that boosts up the contrast in the picture to make it pop and brighten.

Dynamic mode is different from Dynamic Contrast. Dynamic mode is a preset calibration that is extremely vivid and should not be used. Dynamic Contrast is just a little enhancement that boosts up the contrast in the picture to make it pop and brighten.

In your opinion should not be used at all? Any reason why not too?

Dynamic contrast does a lot more than boost the contrast. On my set, it completely alters some scenes and I've seen the same behavior on Samsung sets. It's terrible. The hardware is more than capable of producing good contrast on it's own these days.

In your opinion should not be used at all? Any reason why not too?

Because the Backlight and Contrast are set to its max. It's too bright and your TV will age faster that way. In some cases, Dynamic mode can destroy the backlight.

Because the Backlight and Contrast are set to its max. It's too bright and your TV will age faster that way. In some cases, Dynamic mode can destroy the backlight.

Turning down the backlight to say 7-8 would help that out wouldn't it?

Yes, it would help a lot.

Changed the backlight to 7 but still have the TV dynamic mode because I just can't get used to standard. Still trying to find one of those Monster discs.

Changed the backlight to 7 but still have the TV dynamic mode because I just can't get used to standard. Still trying to find one of those Monster discs.

Standard should be bright enough. My TV was set to Standard, but I lowered the backlight to 6, the contrast to 85, and the Dynamic Contrast to Low.

Dynamic is insane. The backlight and Contrast are set to its max. The Sharpness is set to 75. The Dynamic Contrast is set to High. And the Color Temp is Cool 1. I haven't tried the Dynamic calibration settings, but just looking at those numbers, I know that the picture must be awful looking. Sure, it looks great in the store because it's a very brightly, lit environment. But at home, it looks bad.