• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Microwave oven still working after 40 years

GrimReeper    2
My parents recently had to get a new microwave. Their old one was going since 1983, but it broke and when the guy came over to fix it he said "I can fix it for you, but it's leaking so much radiation, you should probably just get a new one".

Good times...good radioactive times.

I wouldn't be surprised if this guys one is leaking massive amounts of radiation and doesn't know it.

HawkMan    5,232
My parents recently had to get a new microwave. Their old one was going since 1983, but it broke and when the guy came over to fix it he said "I can fix it for you, but it's leaking so much radiation, you should probably just get a new one".

Good times...good radioactive times.

I'm not sure that service guy even knows how a microwave works...

bobbytomorow    0

Me and a girlfriend had a vintage Amana 60's microwave and it looked nothing like that one at all. It was completely chrome, had a locking lever and the door opened down rather than to the side. I remember the bulb was burned out and weighed a freaking ton, but otherwise worked fine.

She took it when we separated a couple of years ago... :hmmm:

Lechio    15

Must leak all over the place. Wouldn't be anywhere near that thing when it's working.

Next news: Mr. Frederick Stephens dies of cancer.

Mouldy Punk    11
I'm not sure that service guy even knows how a microwave works...

Care to elaborate? I mean, considering microwave ovens cook food using microwave radiation, it's more than plausible that a 26 year old microwave oven's door wasn't blocking the radiation as well as it once did.

HawkMan    5,232

Never mind the guy in the story, I don't think anyone in this thread here knows how a microwave works either. or knows the difference between radiation and radiactive :p

Lechio    15
Care to elaborate? I mean, considering microwave ovens cook food using microwave radiation, it's more than plausible that a 26 year old microwave oven's door wasn't blocking the radiation as well as it once did.

Try to perform this experience:

• Unplug the power cord of the oven.
  • Put a mobile phone inside the microwave oven.
  • Close the oven door.
  • Don't turn the oven on.
  • Call that mobile phone number.

If the phone rings, the oven is leaking radiation.

Mike    89
I got a mobile phone from 1822 that is still working today (Y)

6.22pm? thats not very old :p

Mouldy Punk    11

• Close the oven door.

Well, if they still had the oven, I could try it. But my point is, the oven was over 20 years old. The seals on the door could have simply perished or worn out over time.

Next news: Mr. Frederick Stephens dies of cancer.

Microwave radiation doesn't cause cancer like other types of radiation (x-ray, UV etc) can. It'd burn, or cook, you if you were exposed to it for too long.

HawkMan    5,232

• Close the oven door.

Not actually, you can put it in a brand new microwave and it most likely won't block the signal entirely, just severely limit it.

you might want to read up on wavelengths :)

wv@gt    2,393

man that microwave looks like its from the 80's its got a digital screen which was very rare for the 60's ones. A friends parents have one from the 70's and its got a giant chrome dial on it

NienorGT    18

It's a 20 year old microwave, I have no idea how someone can think it's a '60s device...

John S.    359

Glad to see this debunked...Appliances in the early 60's didn't have digital displays, and didn't have smooth keypads like that either. They had dials with a timer built in.

Angelic Marge    30

So has anyone emailed the Telegraph and told them the stories a load of tosh?

Andrew Lyle    336

I was wondering how there are so many buttons and features on a Microwave from the "60's"..

Funny to see you guys call this story out

Nagisan    248
According to the United States Food and Drug Administration's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, a US Federal standard limits microwave leakage from an oven, for the lifetime of the device, to 5 milliwatts per square centimetre when measured 5 centimetres from the surface of the oven.[18] This is far below the exposure level currently considered to be harmful to human health.

The radiation produced by a microwave oven is non-ionizing. It therefore does not have the cancer risks associated with ionizing radiation such as X-rays, ultraviolet light, and high-energy particles. Long-term rodent studies to assess cancer risk have so far failed to identify any carcinogenicity from 2.45 GHz microwave radiation even with chronic (i.e., large fraction of life span) exposure levels, far larger than humans are likely to encounter from any leaking ovens.[19][20] However, with the oven door open, the radiation may cause damage by heating; as with any cooking device. Nearly every microwave sold has a protective interlock so that it cannot be run when the door is open or improperly latched.

When injury from exposure to microwaves occurs, it usually results from dielectric heating induced in the body, the same heating that cooks food. Exposure to microwave radiation can produce cataracts by this mechanism, because the microwave heating denatures proteins in the crystalline lens of the eye (in the same way that heat turns egg white and so opaque) faster than the lens can be cooled by surrounding structures. The lens and cornea of the eye are especially vulnerable because they contain no blood vessels that can carry away heat. Exposure to heavy doses of microwave radiation (as from an oven that has been tampered with to allow operation even with the door open) can produce heat damage in other tissues as well, up to and including serious burns which may not be immediately evident because of the tendency for microwaves to heat deeper tissues with higher moisture content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#Radiation

Basically, the radiation from a leaking microwave will likely not affect you at all.....if you however ran the microwave with the door open, you would end up cooking yourself.

Lechio    15
Microwave radiation doesn't cause cancer like other types of radiation (x-ray, UV etc) can. It'd burn, or cook, you if you were exposed to it for too long.

Yes it can cause cancer if you are directly exposed to it.

Not actually, you can put it in a brand new microwave and it most likely won't block the signal entirely, just severely limit it.

you might want to read up on wavelengths :)

http://www.gomestic.com/Home/How-to-Test-Y...ile-Phone.50694

http://www.zyra.org.uk/microw2.htm

I've had a class that explained that subject quite well, don't think that those laws have changed in the meantime. :)

HawkMan    5,232

I've had a class that explained that subject quite well, don't think that those laws have changed in the meantime. :)

a microwave is essentially a faraday cage, to stop the radiation, and yes, in older microwaves, it might be a faraday cage thatalso stops cell phone signals entirely.

However that may depend on the microwave and on the cell phone in question and what network/frequency it runs on. a faraday cagehowever doesn't block all signals, unless it's a solid metal box, the holes in the net/plates will let any signals it's not designed to block through.

wich is why cell phones will geta signal inside microwaves, since they have a see through door, wich is designed to block the miroaves the microwave uses, not the cell phone signal. again, it'll still block most of the signal, and depending on the microwave and cell phone it may very well bock it entirely. But it's no guarantee. And being able to call a cell phone in a microwave or havign a signal on a phone in a microwave, doesn't mean the microwave is leaking microwaves.

»X«    1

We have this exact microwave at work, stills works perfectly. From the 60's though? pish tish

Lechio    15
a microwave is essentially a faraday cage, to stop the radiation, and yes, in older microwaves, it might be a faraday cage thatalso stops cell phone signals entirely.

However that may depend on the microwave and on the cell phone in question and what network/frequency it runs on. a faraday cagehowever doesn't block all signals, unless it's a solid metal box, the holes in the net/plates will let any signals it's not designed to block through.

wich is why cell phones will geta signal inside microwaves, since they have a see through door, wich is designed to block the miroaves the microwave uses, not the cell phone signal. again, it'll still block most of the signal, and depending on the microwave and cell phone it may very well bock it entirely. But it's no guarantee. And being able to call a cell phone in a microwave or havign a signal on a phone in a microwave, doesn't mean the microwave is leaking microwaves.

This test is not employing any scientific instrumentation, it's not a correct way to ensure that the oven is safe/unsafe.

But it can give an idea of how well it's blocking radiation. This test is used by consumer associations and is performed on recent microwave ovens.

Nagisan    248

No, it doesnt.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9806599

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9453703

All microwaves leak radiation......its such a small amount it wont affect a person at all....if they didn't leak radiation, there would be no need for the United States Food and Drug Administration's Center for Devices and Radiological Health to set a US Federal standard limit to microwave leakage from an oven.

leesmithg    226
It's a 20 year old microwave, I have no idea how someone can think it's a '60s device...

1984 to 2009 is 25 years, so for a 1/4 of a century, still good.

When I buy a TV and it dies after 2 weeks and in 4 years has 20 repairs, well what can we say about todays throw away society.

Lechio    15
No, it doesnt.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9806599

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9453703

All microwaves leak radiation......its such a small amount it wont affect a person at all....if they didn't leak radiation, there would be no need for the United States Food and Drug Administration's Center for Devices and Radiological Health to set a US Federal standard limit to microwave leakage from an oven.

Some years ago Coca-Cola had cocaine in it, radiologists wouldn't use any protective equipment when using X-Rays, heroin and other opiates were widely used in medicine.

Until recently no-one could associate leukemia and cancer with electromagnetism generated by power lines.

The same studies are also taking place regarding the usage of mobile phones and the possible hazzards to health.

Currently there is no prove that radiation emitted by this appliance, when it malfunctions, is not harmful to humans.

Nagisan    248
Currently there is no prove that radiation emitted by this appliance, when it malfunctions, is not harmful to humans.

No, but there is proof, that a properly working Microwave cannot cause cancer.

HawkMan    5,232
Some years ago Coca-Cola had cocaine in it, radiologists wouldn't use any protective equipment when using X-Rays, heroin and other opiates were widely used in medicine.

Until recently no-one could associate leukemia and cancer with electromagnetism generated by power lines.

The same studies are also taking place regarding the usage of mobile phones and the possible hazzards to health.

Some years ago ?

try 30.

And if microwaves cause cancer, you better stop using cell phones, laptops(especially wlan ones), computers in general, move way way WAY into the wilderness, where there's no cell coverage, no airplane radars ... Well actually you'll have to move into an underground cave in the middle of the atlantic and make sure you have solid metal walls all around you little cave.

They're microwaves, They heat up water, that's about the damage they do. you're surrounded by weaker microwaves 24/7