• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Microwave oven still working after 40 years

Lechio    15
And if microwaves cause cancer, you better stop using cell phones, laptops(especially wlan ones), computers in general, move way way WAY into the wilderness, where there's no cell coverage, no airplane radars ... Well actually you'll have to move into an underground cave in the middle of the atlantic and make sure you have solid metal walls all around you little cave.

They're microwaves, They heat up water, that's about the damage they do. you're surrounded by weaker microwaves 24/7

If you use a cell phone regularly it is recommend that you do so using a headset, it's also advisable that small children do not use this type of devices regularly. Guess that tells something about how much radiation a small device like this can generate.

That's a bit exaggerated. Not to mention that satellites transmit microwaves, so theoretically no part of the Globe would be safe...

We can't live without technology but we sure can lookout for our health and not push our luck. I for one wouldn't be using a malfunctioning microwave oven... You do as you wish. :)

Hum    6,933

Remember kids -- always practice safe microwaving.

tin_foil_hat_6.jpg

leesmithg    226
Never mind the guy in the story, I don't think anyone in this thread here knows how a microwave works either. or knows the difference between radiation and radiactive :p

I do as it was part of my applied chemistry degree.

DELTETHISACCOUNT    0

As soon as I saw the picture, I knew it wasn't a 60's device...

GrimReeper    2
Remember kids -- always practice safe microwaving.

tin_foil_hat_6.jpg

MIT proved that tinfoil hats are not actually effective :p

EDIT: MIT link

Edited by GrimReeper

phelephant    0

Well, it may be a true story........ because microwave was invented in 1946......... 

So if you have bought a good microwave and kept proper maintenance....... and your lock also helped you.

Michael Scrip    408

I had a microwave that came from my parent's house when I was a kid.  We got it when I was probably 4 or 5 years old.  And I'm 42 now.

I only recently replaced it because I wanted a smaller unit.  Plus it's nice to finally have a digital timer!  No more guessing trying to set the giant knob for 2.5 minutes.

The old microwave still works though.  I think it was repaired a couple times over the years (decades).  That thing was a champ!

+virtorio    3,121

In internet years, this thread is significantly older than that microwave. 

DocM    16,486
On 1/25/2009 at 7:27 AM, Lee G. said:

There's no way that microwave is from the 1960s. My family used to have a very similar looking Panasonic microwave, and that was from the 1980s.

Not that one but Sharp, Raytheon (Radar Range) and orhers were making them in the 1960's. I bought my mother one about 1969, then dad and I spent 2 days running a new circuit to handle it.  

FloatingFatMan    18,417

Guys, you rezzed a 10 year old thread, and replied to a bot...