UT3 "Titan Pack"

Commenting on the latest gargantuan upcoming UT3 patch, Steve Polge reveals that the next step for UT3 is to release the Titan Pack, "which is substantially bigger than any bonus pack we've released in the past."

That's saying a lot, considering the contents of some of their previous bonus packs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epic Games has been quietly working behind the scenes on a M-M-MASSIVE update for Unreal Tournament 3. However, the most exciting news may just be that this is only the beginning - a very small part - of what they have in store...

* SUMMARY OF MAJOR FEATURES:

* Major enhancements to Server Browser

* Visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability of user interface.

* Significant AI improvements, especially in vehicle gametypes.

* Client-side demo recording support

* Improved networking performance.

* Midgame map, game type, and mutator voting support

* Award system using Steam Achievements

* Improved mod support

* Improved Steam integration

* Steam Achievement support for Steam installations of UT3.

* Integrated Steam Authentication support.

* 57 achievements mark your progress and mastery of UT.

* Progress screen shows which awards you have earned, and completion progress on all awards.

* Server Browser:

* Server Browser updates, expanded query filtering, clientside filters and a new UI option list.

* Added mutator filtering to the server browser (filter by installed mutators, mutator classes and mutator names)

* Now displays each servers IP in the server details box

* Added 'Join IP' and 'Spectate IP' buttons to the join game menu

* Added an 'Add IP' button to the favourites menu

* Modified the main menu to return to the server browser after disconnecting

* Added a new button to the midgame menu 'Add Favorite', and a new console command: AddServerToFavorites

* Updated server browser code, so that custom gametypes are properly filtered.

* Added a 'List All Game Modes' selection to the server filter menu.

* Added more information to the server browser player list.

* Fixed servers not being added to history, when following a friend to a server

* You can now attempt to directly connect to offline servers in History and Favorites (even during master server downtimes).

* Show "+" for player counts that are populated by bots.

* UI:

* Major visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability.

* Made the instant-action and host-game menus keep their settings.

* Scoreboard double click functionality for kicking, messages to specific players.

* Enabled gamepad stick sensitivity setting in UI.

* Improved gamepad support on PC.

* Added support for a whole mess of options on Advanced video settings page.

* Easier to click buttons by fixing cases where mouse went just past them.

* Max player counts always fit on all scoreboards.

* Modifier cards should take display priority in toasts over character unlocks.

* Improved voice command menu positioning and offsets.

* Fixed showing as teleport destinations on map nodes which could not be teleported to.

* Added tooltip while deployed in stealth vehicles to show drop deployable button.

* Bot count UI changed from "Number of opponents" to "Number of combatants" to be less confusing.

* Added support for showing top weapon user in end of match scoreboard. This shows which player got the most kills with a particular weapon. If a player was the leader with more than one weapon, it picks the weapon he or she got the most kills with.

* Show beacon with name of enemies in DM if they are close enough.

* Fixed ammo number on HUD pulsing on armor pick up instead of ammo pick up.

* Third position for powernode beacon, when just looking at base.

* Added speaking icon to player beacons.

* Portraits shown for player speaking with VOIP.

* Fixed onslaught teleporter tooltip not always displayed correctly.

* fixed toasts that don't shut down properly popping up later unexpectedly

* More delay before going back to ambient music from action.

* Fixed text being obscured after removing a friend from the friends list

* Fixed showing proper weapon icon on weapon bar for selected weapon when two weapons are in same slot.

* Fixed issue where playercard and friend message screens were disappearing.

* Reduced chat log spam.

* Fixed rules for showing "change team" button.

* Vehicles:

* Increased radius/volume of Manta, Raptor, and Viper engines.

* Fixed scavenger legs disappearing in kill volumes.

* Force occupied manta to rise if underwater.

* Added sound effect and recharge bar to SPMA to indicate when the weapon is ready to fire

* Increased water damage taken by vehicles.

* Increased Goliath health.

* Fixed nightshade beam weapon accuracy.

* Fixed spidermines confused about nightshade that switches teams.

* Tank shell is always relevant, so you'll see it if it kills you from a hidden tank.

* Leviathan shield doesn't stay around after death.

* Fixed leviathan passenger beacon positioning.

* Fixed hoverboard rooster tail positioning when traveling over shallow water.

* Fixed flag positioning on tracked turrets.

* Fixed flying Manta exploit.

* Fixed boost exploit with Fury vehicle

* Weapons:

* Added burn trail for link gun beam.

* Weapon pickups now disappear for the player who picked it up, until it can be picked up again (now works like weapon lockers).

* Weapon throwing always enabled.

* Improved force feedback for various weapon and pickup actions.

* Simpler crosshair for instagib rifle.

* Third person translocate sound.

* Stinger now higher priority than flak cannon by default.

* Back splatter decals for hits with sniper rifle, stinger, and enforcer.

* Improved spidermine aiming help on console with hitscan weapons (enforcer, stinger, sniper).

* Fixed enforcer anim problems when become dual during initial loading.

* No ammo display for instagib rifle.

* Improved spidermine herding with Avrils.

* Improved redeemer blast screen shake.

* Spidermines work properly in deathmatch.

* Fixed translocator discs being able to get embedded in geometry with zero extent collision on but box collision off.

* Fixed deployable exploit (run over deployable while firing weapon, get in vehicle while still firing, and never switch to deployable).

* Fixed trans discs getting stuck on instigator's head.

More...

Source BeyondUnreal 1, 2

This actually sounds like a substantial update! :D It's going to be a huge patch then some bonus content and game types.

I've posted this here as I could see no mention of whether or not it's just for PC or if console users will get it too.

"Improved gamepad support on PC"

erm who on earth plays this with a gamepad on PC??? Surely this is the one game more than any other where you should be using keyboard and mouse!!! I use my 360 pad for pretty much all my games on my PC but I use the keyboard and mouse for this one. Looks like it will be a nice update, might start playing it again when this comes out

I've stopped playing it until they sort out the stupid modding system, why do we have to convert everything >_<

Because the game wasn't designed around the PS3's architecture and file system.

You might as well sell your copy because they're never going to change the way it works because I don't think they can.

Because the game wasn't designed around the PS3's architecture and file system.

You might as well sell your copy because they're never going to change the way it works because I don't think they can.

It's annoying, I have a PC copy aswell, because I have always had UT on pc :D

I still play Unreal (non-tournament) even, haha.

The only thing of merit to me is the improved steam integration. A lot of mods and official upgrades don't work properly as the game is not installed in the correct place, making installation a bind.

I hope they fix things like that at least. I don't know if this is the same issue as EchoNoise for the PS3 as I dont own that console :(

Aww crap... is there a way to add Steam achievement support for retail copies?

Otherwise, sounds good. (Y)

"Improved gamepad support on PC"

erm who on earth plays this with a gamepad on PC??? Surely this is the one game more than any other where you should be using keyboard and mouse!!! I use my 360 pad for pretty much all my games on my PC but I use the keyboard and mouse for this one. Looks like it will be a nice update, might start playing it again when this comes out

The 360 pad actually works amazingly well on PC FPS. Try it in Crysis Warhead (Y)

I never got into UT3. Had so much more fun in 2KX. I'll see how this patch goes over, though. I'm sure the game's discounted most everywhere now.

Is this DLC we have to pay for?

Looks pretty bad ass :woot:

I think it will be free knowing Epic. I assume they will retail a special edition of the game with the new content too, like they did with UT2004 ECE.

I hope the menu changes involve bringing back uWindows and Assault mode. That would be pretty awesome. :D

Be nice if console users get the amends too, I'd go and buy UT3 on PS3 if they added split screen mode.

I loved UT and UT2004. I didn't play UT3 longer than a few days :(

I sold my copy less than a week after the 1st update came out. IMO, the game was rushed and reaked of a shoddy console port. I still play UT99 and UT2004 (sometimes), but I lost respect for Epic with the crap (IMO) that was UT3.

I think it will be free knowing Epic. I assume they will retail a special edition of the game with the new content too, like they did with UT2004 ECE.

I hope the menu changes involve bringing back uWindows and Assault mode. That would be pretty awesome. :D

Be nice if console users get the amends too, I'd go and buy UT3 on PS3 if they added split screen mode.

Bringing back Assault mode would require creating a pack of new mini-campaigns. And that could be possible in the "Titan Pack." Problem is UT3 has this half assed storyline that makes it sound a bit odd to insert additional mini unrelated plots. Why they decided to turn this fantasy tournament - that made sense for things like translocators and infinite respawning - into a war with limited respawners and "Field Lattice Generators" is beyond me.

I'd like to blame Gears of War on all of this negative influence on the UT series... but bleh.

Excellent! maybe I can start playing some UT3, I bought the bundle on Steam mainly for UT2k4 because UT3 lacks players :(

But this seems like an excellent patch, people live achievements

Bringing back Assault mode would require creating a pack of new mini-campaigns. And that could be possible in the "Titan Pack." Problem is UT3 has this half assed storyline that makes it sound a bit odd to insert additional mini unrelated plots. Why they decided to turn this fantasy tournament - that made sense for things like translocators and infinite respawning - into a war with limited respawners and "Field Lattice Generators" is beyond me.

I'd like to blame Gears of War on all of this negative influence on the UT series... but bleh.

Yeah I know what you mean, the campaign mode is terrible. It just needed to be a simple ladder with a few cut scenes imo.

Adding Assault mode won't affect campaign though, as it would only be available in Instant Action and MP modes. Just like when they add other bonus levels. They never shoehorn them into the main campaign.

Here's hoping it's Assault.

Aww crap... is there a way to add Steam achievement support for retail copies?

Otherwise, sounds good. (Y)

+1

Hope so, another reason to play it :) I'm starting to like all these games with achievements like CoD and L4D.

Makes the game a little more addictive a bit like RPG's.

Excellent! maybe I can start playing some UT3, I bought the bundle on Steam mainly for UT2k4 because UT3 lacks players :(

But this seems like an excellent patch, people live achievements

Is UT2k4 really still more populated?

Is UT2k4 really still more populated?

Ya, most of the players play TAM though.

I only played ut3 for maybe 2 online matches. :p

Maybe time to install it again.

Unreal Tournament 3 Retail Steam Registration Opens

Valve today enabled free Steam registration for Unreal Tournament 3, allowing owners of Epic's multiplayer shooter to prepare for the the large upcoming patch. The update will bring over 50 Steamworks Achievements, along with "a host of new features and enhancements in AI, Server Browsing, Demo Recording, Mod Support, and more." A more detailed list of the upcoming changes is available here.

Registration is a simple matter of clicking the main Steam menu option "Games" and selecting "Activate a product on Steam." Any CD key should be eligible for activation, including versions purchased from other digital distribution services. Also note that the activation will require a new installation of the game, so users will want to delete the old one in order to avoid pesky hard drive bloat.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=57004

Now we can all get the achievements :)

However, Will that CDKey get attached to my steam account like Left4Dead does?

Possibly, but common sense tells me you won't be able to download it from their servers since you bought it elsewhere.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=57004

Now we can all get the achievements :)

Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

5 Comments / Permalink

by Sir_Brizz at 5:57 PM EST (Unreal Tournament 3)

Epic and Valve have just now enabled the ability for UT3 Retail keys to be registered on Steam. This will allow owners of the retail game to enter their keys into Steam and download/install the game through Valve's service. To take advantage of this, simply open Steam, go to the 'Games' menu, and select 'Activate a product on Steam'. Enter your UT3 CD-Key and the game will appear in your Steam 'My Games' Tab.

Let me be the first to say: YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

http://beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12472

Wow, I though UT3 was all but dead and buried! This is good news :) the Steam thing is pretty cool, I might just do that just to get the (steam) achievements :p how does it exactly work? once you register your CD Key on Steam does your retail copy still work or does it mean you can only use the Steam version?