UT3 "Titan Pack"

Will Steam detect my current installation of the game and adapt to it?

I should hope so, as it seems stupid that I'd have to download the game when I already have it installed from disc, then to have to un-install the one I installed before the Steam activation :|

EDIT: Seems the retarded option they had, was chosen over the sensible option. So now I have to un-install the one I installed from disc and wait hours for the Steam-based version to download if I want the automatic updates etc. (as I can bet updates/patches will be a lot slower for the disc-based version). I bought a disc to use a DISC (and therefore enable fast installation)! This entire thing is frustrating and has made me angry with Steam and Epic Games (both of which I used to have great respect for prior to this).

Edited by King Mustard

Will Steam detect my current installation of the game and adapt to it?

I should hope so, as it seems stupid that I'd have to download the game when I already have it installed from disc, then to have to un-install the one I installed before the Steam activation :|

EDIT: Seems the retarded option they had, was chosen over the sensible option. So now I have to un-install the one I installed from disc and wait hours for the Steam-based version to download if I want the automatic updates etc. (as I can bet updates/patches will be a lot slower for the disc-based version). I bought a disc to use a DISC (and therefore enable fast installation)! This entire thing is frustrating and has made me angry with Steam and Epic Games (both of which I used to have great respect for prior to this).

That is stupid! well I'm sticking to my disc copy and getting the update the old fashion way, no way am I redownloading a game I already have (and paid for) on disk! It's not like it was hard for them to make Steam adapt to the already installed game, 1) you can add non-Steam games to Steam already and run them through it and 2) I'm pretty sure with Half-Life you can install the disk version and Steam uses that (I think it moves the install files into the Steam apps directory).

That is stupid! well I'm sticking to my disc copy and getting the update the old fashion way, no way am I redownloading a game I already have (and paid for) on disk! It's not like it was hard for them to make Steam adapt to the already installed game, 1) you can add non-Steam games to Steam already and run them through it and 2) I'm pretty sure with Half-Life you can install the disk version and Steam uses that (I think it moves the install files into the Steam apps directory).

It's easy to release small updates over Steam, so we'll have to wait longer for full patches if we do it our way. So frustrating :(

I'd think if you copied the files from the existing UT3 directory to \Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3 and then try install it it shouldn't have to redownload the majority of the files (pre-titan pack, obviously).

I'd think if you copied the files from the existing UT3 directory to \Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3 and then try install it it shouldn't have to redownload the majority of the files (pre-titan pack, obviously).

Can anyone confirm this? I believe Steam uses a single/whole-file format rather than the way the disc-based version installs itself.

Can anyone confirm this? I believe Steam uses a single/whole-file format rather than the way the disc-based version installs itself.

Most Valve games do but all 3rd party games install into their own folder (like retail).

I can confirm that this does work :)

Why did I just waste a few gigabytes of bandwidth :pinch:

Oh well, everything's all good now.

I sold my copy less than a week after the 1st update came out. IMO, the game was rushed and reaked of a shoddy console port. I still play UT99 and UT2004 (sometimes), but I lost respect for Epic with the crap (IMO) that was UT3.

I agree. Instead of taking what they had with ut2004, improving it, and making it overall better. They took it, beat it heavily with the console stick to dumb it down, removed lots of basic features, and made the game look better than it actually played.

As for the patch. It seems like it'll add a bunch of things that should have been there since day one(ex. demos and a real ui). Better ridiculously late than never i guess. Though i dunno if even a patch this big can save the game at this point.

I agree. Instead of taking what they had with ut2004, improving it, and making it overall better. They took it, beat it heavily with the console stick to dumb it down, removed lots of basic features, and made the game look better than it actually played.

They made the game play much better by removing double dodging thereby sorting the map scale issues out, and finally making the weapons more beefy like UT99. Plus they finally got a consistent art direction.

It's just a shame the menu's were terrible imo because the game itself is excellent, but the server browser and options were sparse at best. Not what I expect from a PC game tbh.

I'm glad we can link it to Steam. First thing I'll be doing tonight, after I figure out how to change my cross hair back to white instead of green in the ini files. :p

They made the game play much better by removing double dodging thereby sorting the map scale issues out, and finally making the weapons more beefy like UT99. Plus they finally got a consistent art direction.
Double jumping, the dodge jump and related things weren't a bad thing. The higher amount of movement options gave you more choices in how to make yourself harder to hit. Also, Putting the damages of everything except weapons you have to aim(sniper/shock) though the roof, and making them easier to use was indeed a dumbing down and is no doubt a result of the game being a console game. As for the art style... Well, i preferred the variety in the previous games over the heavy focus on grey and brown that many maps had in ut3.

The entire point of the UT series is for fast paced gameplay (which is also partly why it failed on consoles) so saying that no double jumps is better is hypocritical.

They simply took out part of what made the game fun (Assault) and added nothing good to replace it (vehicles are the same reason why ET:Quake Wars failed).

Double jumping, the dodge jump and related things weren't a bad thing. The higher amount of movement options gave you more choices in how to make yourself harder to hit. Also, Putting the damages of everything except weapons you have to aim(sniper/shock) though the roof, and making them easier to use was indeed a dumbing down and is no doubt a result of the game being a console game. As for the art style... Well, i preferred the variety in the previous games over the heavy focus on grey and brown that many maps had in ut3.

They made UT3 more like UT99, which is still the best (and probably most played) in the series. The weapons in UT99 actually did damage. In UT2003/4 Epic gave into consistent whining from people saying weapons were over powered, when really it was pretty well balanced (except maybe Flak and Sniper fire rates, which were fixed in UT2003/4 and UT3).

Dodging and even double jump were absolutely fine (and still remain in UT3), it was double dodging that was a problem since it allowed players to cover a large distance quickly essentially screwing up map scales in the process and putting too much focus on sniper/shock as preferred weapons. I know this issue splits the UT community up, but I still thinking removing it was for the better. It's brought back the "in your face" fast paced claustrophobic combat that UT was all about.

@chAos972

I'm talking about double dodging (i.e. dodging then extending it with another jump). UT3 is as fast paced as UT99 was, which didn't have double dodging (only single dodging) so I don't get how this is hypocritical in the slightest.

Edited by ziadoz

Is it coming to PS3 by chance? *trembles*

I hope too... Imagine PS3 trophies for UT3... lol

I guess it will be released like the original UT3 map pack (on PS store)

btw, this game is SO under-rated on the PS3... I love my copy...

(also, has anyone tried UT3 with official keypad...it's SOOO funny...don't forget to calibrate the touchpad - lol)

Cool :) I think I'll stick to my normal retail copy, can't be stuffed with all that, plus then removing the registry entries, uninstaller, icons as well...to much trouble :p (sure I could just leave them there, but it will drive me slowly insane! :laugh:)

Cool :) I think I'll stick to my normal retail copy, can't be stuffed with all that, plus then removing the registry entries, uninstaller, icons as well...to much trouble :p (sure I could just leave them there, but it will drive me slowly insane! :laugh:)

copy the files to steam and when you are sure your new steam copy works uninstall the original

(copy not cut)

Iv'e just activated my copy onto steam, nice! is this pack out yet as i don't have the game installed yet and should i install using disc or steam?

Install it with the game disc first, then copy the files in the UT3 folder to "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Unreal Tournament 3". That should save some bandwidth as STEAM would download the same files on your game disc. This method was mentioned by chAos972 and confirmed by King Mustard.

Anyway, what's the ETA on the "Titan Pack"? I'm itching to play some UT3. I haven't played the game in a long while.

copy the files to steam and when you are sure your new steam copy works uninstall the original

(copy not cut)

Thanks, that makes more sense! I gave it ago, it didn't work though :( Steam ignored the copied files and is redownloading them....so unfair, why it work for everyone else and not me? I did it exactly as described in earlier posts...

EDIT: It doesn't matter, at least one advantage(!) of having Telstra as my ISP is they run the main Steam content servers here in Australia, which means Steam downloads are unmetered (95% of the time) so not all bad, just inconvenient.

EDIT2: Meh, everytime I try to launch UT3 in Steam it goes "Game is currently unavailable, try again later"...fixed, if anyone gets this problem, navigate to the Unreal Tournament 3 folder in steamapps and make sure it's not read only!

Edited by Xerxes

Also for anyone who forgot to uninstall their retail copy before activating it on Steam (like me) pop the UT3 disc in and run the uninstaller on there. If you try to uninstall via the control panel it will try to remove your Steam copy. :p