[Review] Samsung 2343BWX monitor

Jason S.

Foreword

I purchased my first LCD monitor in July of 2005. It was the Dell 2005fpw and cost a whopping $415. Keep in mind that this was a random Dell sale. I couldn?t wait any longer. I had decided I wanted one right then and, for the time, it was an amazing price.

Fast forward to 2008 and I?m still using the same monitor. It?s a truly great monitor, yet I see news online for the brand new Samsung 2343BWX. I was quite intrigued by the size-to-pixel ratio. I thought to myself: I have to buy that.

Fast forward again to November 2008 where I bought it on Costco?s website for a reasonable price of $292 (shipped + tax). I?ve now had the monitor for about two months. So, after sufficient use, I bring you another impromptu review.

Thoughts and Conclusions[/size]

This is a worthy upgrade for most people. If you?re like me, you?re looking for a respectable upgrade for a minimal price. I was not in the market for some gigantic 30? monitor or another 20? monitor. 30? is too big, 20? is, well, the same as my 2005, and anything in between offered the standard 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. The Samsung 2343BWX combined the best of both size and resolution. I now have a 23? monitor with a high resolution. At the end of the day, I had a new monitor for under $300USD which is a much-welcomed upgrade to my 3.5yr oldPlusesCostco?s website shows this monitor for $260USD. Jump on it!

Pluses

? Amazing resolution!!Minusesero dead pixels or backlight bleeding

? Response time ? 5ms

? Zero ghosting

Minuses

? No add-ons: usb, card reader, Firewire

? Does not rotate 90 degrees

? No height-adjustable stand

? Viewing angles could be better

Update: More Pics!

post-34502-1233604792.jpg

post-34502-1233604805.jpg

post-34502-1233604822.jpg

post-34502-1233604834.jpg

Edited by Jdawg683

kool4

Nice review...Thanks.

Should be good fun to play the latest games..would enjoy on that resolution.

DanManIt

That really is a fantastic resolution

+shift.

Only flaw that I can find is that there's no HDMI input.

Jason S.

it would have been nice to have a few more options on the monitor like HDMI, usb, fw... but i'm not really missing it. i just love the monitor the way it is.

i hope to get some more pics up today

Wazooty

Hmm, I wonder if 16:9 resolutions will be the new standard eventually. I have a 16:9 reso monitor and I rather like it for the fact that it's wide enough to not need to really dual screen to get a couple apps running side by side

• 11 months later...
BoDEAN

Nice Review

Dark_ph0enix

What's the sound quality like? I've got a Samsung 2333HD and while the picture quality is amazing (well, compared to the 5 year old 17" Samsung that it's replaced :) ), the sound quality isn't all that spectacular, unfortunately.

Nightwind Hawk

I have this monitor as well, and I love it! The only thing I hate is how I can't adjust it in any way... height, angle, rotate, NOTHING.

Jason S.

wow.... someone resurrected my old review :)

you can adjust the viewing angle, but not that much... rotates towards or away from you by 20d or so.

still using and loving the monitor!

What's the sound quality like? I've got a Samsung 2333HD and while the picture quality is amazing (well, compared to the 5 year old 17" Samsung that it's replaced :) ), the sound quality isn't all that spectacular, unfortunately.

no speakers on the monitor... the Klipsch 2.1 set i have is amazing though.