• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Review] NE14HOCKEY v3

Question

Trix.Neo    1

http://www.ne14hockey.co.uk/

Latest Version ^^^

Edited by Trix.Neo

Trix.Neo    1

Anyone :)?

Riffz    0

Your permissions are broken, none of the graphics load and it prompts each time for a user/pass.

Trix.Neo    1

Sorry about that, all sorted now :) thanx for the heads up

smctainsh    2

I personally think that the new design is far better than the current design. :)

Steven

Trix.Neo    1
I personally think that the new design is far better than the current design. :)

Steven

Thanks its good to know I'm improving it :)

Olemus    19

Version 2 looks much better in my opinion theres just way too many obtrusive ads on it =/

Trix.Neo    1
Version 2 looks much better in my opinion theres just way too many obtrusive ads on it =/

there are only the 3 adverts on the right of the new design, the 4 images refer to article examples, main events and latest big match results/fixtures as any articles we link to on the homepage will have a little image to draw readers to them, they aren't adverts.

Trix.Neo    1

any other views/opinions :) ?

I've added the news listing with ratings (members only) and a view filter options for the news thou the country continent is still in development as I've only got as far as listing the countries for each continent.

smctainsh    2
any other views/opinions :) ?

I've added the news listing with ratings (members only) and a view filter options for the news thou the country continent is still in development as I've only got as far as listing the countries for each continent.

I really like the tab system you've set up - very nice. I see that you have made another post about JavaScript and Google's indexing - I'd recommend that you have a fallback in the event of JavaScript not working, so that users can still view the page content. Your design shouldn't depend on JavaScript, it should really be used to enhance the user experience (which you have done well :)).

A suggestion for a fallback is to perhaps serve each tab up as a separate page, so that when the user clicks on the tab, they are taken to the same page, with different content and the corresponding tab highlighted.

(Sorry about the 'cross-threading' :p).

Steven

azz0r_wugg    1

v2 > v3

Go back to a centered design. Theres to much wasted space.

Napalm Frog    13

Version 3 is MUCH cleaner than version 2. However, the opinion from above to centre the page a bit more, rather than having it spread across the entire screen may be a good idea.

Trix.Neo    1

I was having that discussion with a mate of mine last week. I think for IE6 I will set it to 760 fixed and for everything else 760 to 960.

What should I do with the header, round it off and make it fixed as well or leave it full width?

Trix.Neo    1

well I'm looking at a local version and I've attached a SS to see what folks think I should do with the top edges leaving it floating as the SS doesn't do it for me personally...

post-121351-1234221530_thumb.jpg

I think I need to at least round them off?

Trix.Neo    1
http://www.ne14hockey.com/v3/ <- Updated the homepage and decided on a Facebook attitude to browsers aka 960 across the board. :)

PyX    140

I don't know... I mean, it's not a bad website or anything, especially compared to what I call the "average". Obviously you can't make something like these huge websites, Facebook, TSN, Neowin, Apple, Microsoft, etc. but the other billion of websites is what I call the average.

But it doesn't bring anything new. I mean, you don't make enough use of these funky rollovers, dynamic stuff, ... advanced CSS, colours, dynamic stuff! Like in the websites I pointed above.

Yours seems just like a regular/standard blog, you know, nothing pops out of it to make me say "wow". Don't take it personally, because it's what I think of 40% of the websites. There's like 10% that are awesome, and 50% that are... to throw away.

Trix.Neo    1

Is that what you get a first impression that its a blog?

Its not finished but its a hybrid of facebook/fixtureslive dedicated to field hockey covering personal facebook based statistics for hockey players, clubs and leagues.

Its very mush a work in progress so with regards to your comments. Whats missing specifically that would make you go wow or at least "cool"?

http://www.ne14hockey.com/ is the current version.

Trix.Neo    1

yeah it should, which browser are you using?

Trix.Neo    1
I don't know... I mean, it's not a bad website or anything, especially compared to what I call the "average". Obviously you can't make something like these huge websites, Facebook, TSN, Neowin, Apple, Microsoft, etc. but the other billion of websites is what I call the average.

But it doesn't bring anything new. I mean, you don't make enough use of these funky rollovers, dynamic stuff, ... advanced CSS, colours, dynamic stuff! Like in the websites I pointed above.

Yours seems just like a regular/standard blog, you know, nothing pops out of it to make me say "wow". Don't take it personally, because it's what I think of 40% of the websites. There's like 10% that are awesome, and 50% that are... to throw away.

Is this more to what you had in mind?

http://www.ne14hockey.com/v3/

CrimsonRedMk    0

I was using Firefox 3.0.6 on an Intel Mac.

Trix.Neo    1

hmm looks like its a padding issue im on FF 3.0.6 on XP and its perfect, not sure why there's a difference or how I can fix it :|

azz0r_wugg    1

Now it looks good.

Trix.Neo    1
Now it looks good.

Cheers :)

karma    0

Looks waaaay too much like Facebook. on the home page the center column drops below the others in IE7 too.