[Review] NE14HOCKEY v3

Question

I agree its very facebook in appearance, but this has some benefits. With the number of Facebook users it means using a similar arrangement of navigation and site behaviours users should be able to find what they want, it should be almost cognitive. I intend to improve where I think facebook does poorly.

The site is intended to be a stand alone facebook extension aka if you have facebook you'll get a wealth of application features. If you don't you can use the site and miss out on nothing. It won't look so much like Facebook when I'm finished.

I need to update the IE7 css to conteract the panel box on the homepage. Does anyone like the way the homepage loads? If so would you change the order/effects on anything. For non JS users it just loads so it degrades nicely.

On that note, gnight all.

Tbh it is still copying Facebook whether you change some small sections or not.

The way the homepage loads is a bit un-needed too. You are using Ajax for the sake of it and not what it was intended for.

Sorry to sound negative but i just think if you are building your own site then make it your own and don't imitate others.

Tbh it is still copying Facebook whether you change some small sections or not.

We'll see when its finished, nothing is set in stone.

The way the homepage loads is a bit un-needed too. You are using Ajax for the sake of it and not what it was intended for.
I don't get what's up with the delayed loading of the home page....is there a reason your using AJAX like that?

Its me experimenting with nested functions. I know thats not what its for but it does help to prioritise what a user sees first although it would get annoying if you spend a lot of time on the homepage, I don't intend to do that in the live version just playing around.

Sorry to sound negative but i just think if you are building your own site then make it your own and don't imitate others.

I agree but at the same time if your stuck for ideas use something else as a base. I don't intend for the site to look like facebook when I'm finished but its helping me to get the data arranged how I want it from my existing framework, as for the profiles hands up that's facebook all over but how many different ways can you arrange a profile.

Your aloud your opinions that's why I started this thread ;) speaking of which:

If you were building a sport centred "facebook" what would you change add to the existing facebook profile.

**** I've updated added a lot of pages. Taking off the tabs as I could decide on a non-js way of providing the content something I may come back too but unlike fb 100% of the site is SE facing not 10% ****

NE14HOCKEY V3

Ill review the final version then because i just took a look here http://www.ne14hockey.com/v3/news.php and that is just pure facebook. You may be borderline illegal with that. I am not sure what FB have in place to cover them for copyright but you are treading very close.

The homepage is annoying whether you use it once or 10 times btw.

Again, im not ranting and i am not getting at you at all. See my comments as a positive.

It is very easy to fall into the trap of "Facebook do it well so i must copy that". The designers of facebook sat down and used their initiative and design sense to create that and you should do the same to create something different. After all Facebook is not the be all and end all of the design industry.

I'm no Graphic Designer, more a dabbler. You assume I have design sense and initiative :no:

Ok well as you seem to think its a bad idea to continue as I am you maybe right (your site suggests you are in the know) I will come up with a couple of designs (attempt) and see what you think...

I'm no Graphic Designer, more a dabbler. You assume I have design sense and initiative :no:

You do have design sense and initiative as i have seen in other work you have done it is just so easy to fall into the trap of creating the same thing as something else because "it works". If we all had the same attitude the webdesign industry would be in a right mess as all sites would look exactly the same with different wording and logos. (Exaggerating there i know but you get the point)

Ok well as you seem to think its a bad idea to continue as I am you maybe right (your site suggests you are in the know)

Thank you :)

I will come up with a couple of designs (attempt) and see what you think...

Thats a great idea! I could help you along too if you like? That's what we are here for :)

You may be borderline illegal with that.

Uh no, the design is fine and nothing like facebook. I can't believe you said that.

Trix.Neo : Don't ever make decisions based on 1 user opinion. Get some more views before you re-design your entire site because 1 "guy" said it looks like facebook.

post-121351-1235070251_thumb.png

Its basic but its based on the news.php page you mentioned before...

Might get another one done tonight.

That's looking much better mate. Look forward to seeing the others.

Uh no, the design is fine and nothing like facebook. I can't believe you said that.

Trix.Neo : Don't ever make decisions based on 1 user opinion. Get some more views before you re-design your entire site because 1 "guy" said it looks like facebook.

:wacko: Mate, he was basing the whole thing off Facebook. What world are you living on?

I appreciate both your opinions.

Popcorned1 - I wasn't basing it just on one but think about it he didn't make facebook but thought it was close enough to point out. If you owned facebook that's going to be more than close enough for further action ;) so a bullet worth dodging.

Karma - it was quite a bit like facebook, and the bits that both sites had were like facebook but it does have a lot of stuff facebook does not :p

Anyways here is the new design in progress...

cheers

I have a scriptaculus question...

To make the accordion degrade nicely I want to put links on the grey tabs so they link through to pages if JS is disabled but how do I disable the links in scriptaculus?

That is looking awesome. Glad you changed now?

You have a really nice looking website there now. You could add some colours to the h1's on the content side to add a bit more subtleness and also maybe tint the paragraph colour a little so its not so black.

You should also consider doing a little more work on the logo so its cleaner and a bit more professional. Sure some neowinians can help with that.

Other than that I think you have done a great job mate.

Awesome work.

Just noticed that the logo url and breadcrumbs urls' are pointing to localhost mate.

You should also add a bit more height to the paragraphs in main content area maybe line-height: 22px; or thereabouts. Makes the text much more legible :)

Thanks for the heads up, its annoying that I have to remember to alter (or not upload) the configs and the settings files every time I update lol

I'll do that content thing too.

Next step will be the registration process and then working on making the FB application more effecient.

Is that something you've ever done Karma?