MY new laptop

I've ranted and raved about getting a new laptop and here are the specs: (nothing near the best out there but since I'm married and on a budget..)

1112999867565_500X500.jpg

Bundle Includes:

Toshiba 15.4'' Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57

iConcepts 15" Laptop Carrying Case

4GB USB Flash Drive

Key Features & Benefits:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57

1.9 GHz, 512kb L2 Cache, HyperTransport Technology @ up to 800MHz

Configured with 3072MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM

Maximum capacity 4096MB (both memory slots may be occupied)

250GB (5400 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive

Store your most important files and documents on this expansive drive

DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats

Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (16x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD-R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD-RW (6x), DVD+R (Single Layer, (8x), DVD+R (Double Layer, (6x), DVD+RW (4x), DVDRAM (5x) "

15.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite? TFT LCD display at 1280 x 800

With ATI RadeonTM X1250 128MB-831MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium

SP1, 32-bit version

Additional Features

Built-in stereo speakers

Sound volume control dial

86 key US keyboard

TouchPad pointing device

TouchPad Enable/Disable

Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel

Modem

10/100 Ethernet

Integrated Wi-Fi? compliant wireless:

Atheros? 802.11 b/g wireless-LAN

2 main memory slots. Both slots may be occupied.

ExpressCard" slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54)

5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter

Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMedia Card

Video

RGB (monitor) output port

Audio

Microphone input port

Data

USB v2.0 3ports

RJ-45 LAN port

RJ-11 modem por+H3t

How much? You could have gotten a better deal on a Dell or another laptop with great specs if you did some shopping, especially online...

that is pretty good. I got my dad a laptop similar to that, a Satellite A205-S5841, he loves it.

bought it last year, was on sale at newegg for $500 or so.

<Cleaned! - Persephpne>

You have no idea about what you are talking about.

Toshiba makes some of the most reliable and rugged laptops. Plus with that AMD chipset, you just might get longer battery life. If all you are doing is surfing the net and shooting off e-mails, you have made an excellent choice.

Edited by Persephone

You have no idea about what you are talking about.

Toshiba makes some of the most reliable and rugged laptops. Plus with that AMD chipset, you just might get longer battery life. If all you are doing is surfing the net and shooting off e-mails, you have made an excellent choice.

You sir have no idea idea what youa re talking about.

Toshiba making reliable laptops? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...ba+laptop+fails They make some of the worse.

HP/Dell FTW....Toshiba FTL (and this aint some 9chan talking...Im just stating the truth)

AMD sucks in all its divisions: Battery life, speed, performence, etc....

I mean I REALLY hope Im wrong and it turns out to be a great laptop but....

<Cleaned! - Persephpne>

I'm sorry, I just don't think there is any need for this. If you are going to post an opinion like this, at least try to show a morsel of respect. You don't know what his needs are in a laptop. I'm sure it does everything he needs it to do just fine.

Edited by Persephone

No. I wasnt talking about results...

And on a side note, The first one (Toshiba laptop fails) get 267,000 results while the second (Dell laptop fails) get 190,000 results.

Well then we get different results with Google but my point is the same. Using a search query on Google to show notebook reliability is flawed.

I would really like to know what source you are using to draw the conclusion that Toshiba laptops are "pieces of crap" as you put it. I surely hope you are not going purely based on your extensive google search. Calling someone's new purchase a piece of crap is not being direct, it is being rude.

You sir have no idea idea what youa re talking about.

Toshiba making reliable laptops? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...ba+laptop+fails They make some of the worse.

HP/Dell FTW....Toshiba FTL (and this aint some 9chan talking...Im just stating the truth)

AMD sucks in all its divisions: Battery life, speed, performence, etc....

I mean I REALLY hope Im wrong and it turns out to be a great laptop but....

telling me that DELL makes some of the best is garbage. Dell has the WORST customer support. that was a decision why I chose Toshiba since my co-worker and his wife bought one and love it.

Yeah, I never had to deal with Dell's support, but from my opinion, their laptop builds are solid.

Agreed, Toshiba make some of the best laptops.

I work in the IT Industry and have yet to see a toshiba fail. Ive seen Dell's fail. I would put Toshiba in with Apple, Sony and HP, they are work horses that seem to last forever.

I myself had a toshiba for about 4 years. I used to carry it around onsite for IT duties, it was thrown around and used for all manner of things, backing up, diagnostics, data input etc. I say 4 years because after that i changed my career slightly and gave the laptop away (which is still going strong with the person i gave it to).

Ive found the toshiba's to be well built and not as plasticy as some of the dell's, which seem to fail with hinge problems. These are not opinions from the net but the laptops i have come across, which is quite a few.

I think the OP got a good deal and now has a great laptop. Personally im more of a fan of Intel, however my friends say nothing but good things about AMD's.

The only good dell support ive ever come across is the business support, the home user support is an absolute nightmare.

<Cleaned - Persephone>

Ok That was really rude, and i've been known to say some pretty blunt stuff.

The guy just forked out $622 on brand new laptop and you are trying ot make him feel like crap for what he bought? Show some respect. There are ways of getting your point across without being so rude.

Edited by Persephone

thanks everyone. I see there are alot of CLASSY people here on neowin.net ;)

LOL :p

Yeah, It was quite rude of them to post something like that.

Congrats on your new laptop :D

Nothing better than spending a whole night on your laptop in bed, with the bright light annoying your wife, haha.

:D

You haven't seen the worst of it, Chris ;)

Sure, this might be as worse as it gets.

I bought a Toshiba two years ago for about $800. The only complaint that I have is the bottom end integrated graphics that will get the both cpus maxed out even when playing a ten-year old game like starcraft.

I have 2 Toschiba A-300-(something) laptops :)

Both my wife and I use them for work. Used HP before, Samsung and even Dell. I can honestly say I will probably never change away from Toshiba again (although never is a big word). Have one for 4 months and the other one for 2. Very pleased with build quality, style and speed. Both are Intel so I can't speak regarding AMD but my HP laptop had AMD and it spent more time in repair then being used.

I too own a Toshiba lappy, P105-S6024. I love it. I bought mine at a pawn shop. I paid $400 for it. I've upgraded the memory to 2GBs and swapped out the factory HDD for a WD 250GB. Currently running Windows 7, 32-bit, on it and it works great. One of the things I really LOVE about this one is the keyboard, the full keyboard with a full set of numeric keys.

Anyways, I love my Toshiba and I'm sure you will do the same with yours...

I have a similar Tosh, albeit with slightly different specs (Centrino Duo & x1600) and its been bullet proof as far as reliability and quality.

Enjoy :)

my friend has bought one, and its a very nice laptop with decent performance and price. However, there is a strange issue that the laptop gets really really hot, which you might want to watch for, in fact hotter than any other laptop that I've used (hotter than usual). The vent/fan is on the LHS of the laptop and the fan