Plasma or LCD

Which should I get? I am looking to get a 52 inch TV and I want to know which one is better now.

People say the technology for plasmas is much better and you will get a better picture with a plasma, but the life on an LCD is much greater.

Any thoughts as to which i should buy?

I think the plasma would be better. They seem to have a much sharper picture, and better viewing angles. But it actually depends what your using the TV for. If you watch a lot of fast paced motion (sports, games etc.) though then I'd definitely buy a plasma.

LCDs look better in bright rooms, and can be used as monitors, and you can play video games without risk of burn in.

Plasmas have deeper colors and better pictures in low lit rooms. Oh and they are cheaper.

LCDs look better in bright rooms, and can be used as monitors, and you can play video games without risk of burn in.

Plasmas have deeper colors and better pictures in low lit rooms. Oh and they are cheaper.

Plasma's can also be used as monitors though.

and you get a lot more details in dark areas in plasma's

From memory I think the rule of thumb is if you're buying over 37" get a plasma. But like others have said you need to consider the room it's going to be in because in brighter rooms LCD looks better.

I've always liked plasmas better myself. The one thing about LCDs I like is no burn-in, but newer plasmas are much better about this than they used to be. :)

It depends on a few things. How much your willing to spend, what your going to use it for, and possibly where your going to place it.

If you have a lot of friends with Plasma, your gonna end up buying one. Same thing with LCD. You just go by what you know ;) Both are almost identical now, and don't have a lot of advantages over the other one overall.

Even though everybody says plasmas have fixed the burn in problems i have seen to many people with new plasmas still get the burn in.

If i was getting a tv it would be an lcd panel that is lit by led's

Even though everybody says plasmas have fixed the burn in problems i have seen to many people with new plasmas still get the burn in.

If i was getting a tv it would be an lcd panel that is lit by led's

You need to let the plasma get past the initial warm up period first you know.

And new plasma's are at least as burn in safe as LCD's. LCD's get burn in/image retention just as much as plasmas do if you leave the same image on, and in both cases it'll go away again once you change the picture and let it cook a while.

My friend bought a Samsung in november of last year 2 1/2 months ago and within a week had a permanent EA logo in the corner.

Rules are simple.

Ask yourself:

Are you going to play video games on it?

Are you going to watch it in a bright room?

Do you want to use it as a computer monitor?

If you answered "No" to all 3 questions, get a plasma!

My friend bought a Samsung in november of last year 2 1/2 months ago and within a week had a permanent EA logo in the corner.

Rules are simple.

Ask yourself:

Are you going to play video games on it?

Are you going to watch it in a bright room?

Do you want to use it as a computer monitor?

If you answered "No" to all 3 questions, get a plasma!

So he didn't read the manual wich would have specifically told him to not leave any non moving/changing images on the screen for the first x hours/days then.

Also plasma's work just fine in a bright room, don't know where this comes, from, heck they work just fine in the store and that's about as bright as it's gonna get, especially midday now with the low sun. and no, no issues with reflections either, despite the bright ass sun. Yeah sure LCE's have a brighter picture, since they have superbright back lights, wich are also the reason why LCD's have crappy dark colors and greys.

and plasmas work just fine for computer monitors. But then again, why would you use a 37+ screen for a monitor anyway. especially over longer periods of time. unless you mean for gaming or HTPC use wich again is the same thing as using it for HDTV pretty much.

Best option is to go and see them yourself and compare. I was planning to go with a plasma, until i checked several out at Costco, I was able to look at the different TV and chose a Sony 40" 120mhz LCD, it beat the plasma picture hands down. I have several Friends that have plasma, and which that they would have waited to get the Sony that I have.

So he didn't read the manual wich would have specifically told him to not leave any non moving/changing images on the screen for the first x hours/days then.

Also plasma's work just fine in a bright room, don't know where this comes, from, heck they work just fine in the store and that's about as bright as it's gonna get, especially midday now with the low sun. and no, no issues with reflections either, despite the bright ass sun. Yeah sure LCE's have a brighter picture, since they have superbright back lights, wich are also the reason why LCD's have crappy dark colors and greys.

and plasmas work just fine for computer monitors. But then again, why would you use a 37+ screen for a monitor anyway. especially over longer periods of time. unless you mean for gaming or HTPC use wich again is the same thing as using it for HDTV pretty much.

I am simply going by the recommendations. If you decide to play video games or use your TV as a monitor, dont do it with a plasma that could get burn in.

Sure newer models are less sucseptible to burn in, but it happens.

Newer model cars have scratch resistant paint which is nice, but dont go and run your key down the car.

The screen is glass on a plasma, so obviously there is more of a reflection even with anti glare technology then with an LCD, hence the bright room reccomendation. My father in law has both and ended up switching where his two tvs are because of the glare on the plasma. Also a newer TV bought last year.

I'm in the same boat - close anyways. I currently have a 60" mitsu RPTV that's about 6 years old. Great tv, pretty good picture but it's not HD and I want BluRay. So I've been looking at the Samsung PN50A650/PN58A650 for quite some time. Personally vs LCD there is no comparison unless you step up into the top of the line Panasonics. I've seen my friends Sony Bravia and it's nice, but the price isn't so nice.

- If you're going to watch ANY standard definition video - plasma looks better.

- Burn in isn't the issue it used be, and as hawkman said, you have to be sure not to leave it on a static image for the first x-hours/days. Sometimes with plasma you will get an image that 'ghosts', but it does go away.

- As for the lighting issue - it's mainly that the plasma screen tends to be more reflective than the LCD.

- Typically you're going to get darker blacks, which if you're picky about your movies you want the darkest blacks.

- Do you plan on wall mounting it - is that a requirement, or is it just a cool idea? Don't mount it too high if you do - lots of people do then complain about neck strain (wives mainly).

- 120hz vs Plasma - Plasma's already run 24fps (standard def i believe it will run @ 60hz) and don't need any fancy technology to fix what LCD's fail to do. 120hz on LCD's is a bad band-aid IMO.

I could go on and on about this. One last thing to throw into the mix, this is what I've decided I'm getting instead of the plasma I was so set on: HL61A750 - Samsung 61" LED DLP HDTV. I get more real estate and equally as good a picture. (some will argue this point) Half the cost of an equally compared LCD or Plasma and since I don't care if I wall mount, it will handle my xbox, wii, bluray, etc. - it's a pretty good solution for me.

Also a great place to do comparisons, find out what other people's experiences have been with particular tv's, setups, even calibrations: http://www.avforums.com/