NetMeeting fails to run in Windows 7

In my work pc when I start NetMeeting I get the following error:

"The procedure entry point ASN1PERDecChar16String could not be located in the dynamic link library MSASN1.dll."

We use Office Communicator 2005 at work and it uses NetMeeting for desktop sharing so I kind of need NetMeeting. So could someone please try NetMeeting in their Windows 7 setup and let me know if it works or not? You should be able to download the Vista version of NetMeeting from here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927853

Edited by Emon

Have you tried running the Office Communicator program in Vista compatibility mode? Most of Vista's programs should work as well in 7 but in your case it doesn't hurt to try. About 80% of drivers also from Vista work in 7 fine unless there are more dependent things besides the driver. I couldn't get HP's extra bluetooth profiles to work in 7 as it does with Vista such as A2DP.

In the various articles ive read about windows 7 im pretty confident netmeeting is being depreciated in windows 7, are you using the latest version of office communicator ? i dont use office communicator myself so wouldnt know, just checked my windows 7 install and sure enough netmeeting is not installed.

I know MS discontinued NetMeeting starting from Vista. However, enough people complained so they came up with that KB article and let people download it for Vista. Both Office Communicator 2005 and NetMeeting worked fine in my Vista setup and I can't use Office Communicator 2007 because our IT needs to upgrade (no surprise here ..) their servers for that to work.

@Shunik Jan: Office Communicator 2005 runs just fine in Win7 and I didn't have to use Vista compatibility mode. It's just that NetMeeting comes up with that error no matter what compatibility mode (Vista/XP) I use to start it with.

Ok. Right click the Program and press Propities Capibillites and Run in (Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista RC2)

I just said I tried that ..

It's just that NetMeeting comes up with that error no matter what compatibility mode (Vista/XP) I use to start it with.

Did you try to run it as Admin?

yes I did. Also tried to replace the MSASN1.dll with Vista/XP versions of that file by booting into ERD Commander (safe mode didn't work because the file was in use even in safe mode). But each time I did that Win7 replaced that with its own version after reboot.

• 3 months later...
I was able to join netmeetings in windows 7.. but I haven't tried to create one.

How were you able to join a netmeeting with Windows 7? What application did you use?

Thanks in advance!

try windows XP mode in windows 7 witch was just released d the beta version of it let me get you a link

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Microsoft has added several new features to Windows Virtual PC to make it easy to use and to help you run many older Windows XP applications in Windows 7.

Easy setup of Window XP Mode

One click launch of Windows XP Mode applications

USB support

yes I did. Also tried to replace the MSASN1.dll with Vista/XP versions of that file by booting into ERD Commander (safe mode didn't work because the file was in use even in safe mode). But each time I did that Win7 replaced that with its own version after reboot.

Good god that's a terrible idea. You're lucky Windows was able to replace it with the correct version. If it hadn't, you probably wouldn't even be able to boot.

There really should be a Darwin Awards for people who destory their machines doing stupid things.

Good god that's a terrible idea. You're lucky Windows was able to replace it with the correct version. If it hadn't, you probably wouldn't even be able to boot.

There really should be a Darwin Awards for people who destory their machines doing stupid things.

hey Brandon could you relay a message to the entire Windows 7 team including yourself witch i assume is in the Search team.

You all did a Fantastic job on windows 7 and is the best OS you guys have brought to us so i thank you and the rest of the windows team. Raises a glass Hears to the years to come

Not sure if any of you guys still have issues with Netmeeting and Windows 7 but here is a semi fix for the problem. The only thing you cannot do is share your screen. But you can see others.

Set netmeeting as a virtual application. You can then start a virtual application while in Windows 7. Another item is I haven't been able to figure out how to host a netmeeting maybe I just need to type of network adatper on the virtual PC image.

But at least you can get most of netmeeting functionality.

While this isn't really a fix, its a work around, as you are not installing netmeeting on your Windows 7 image rather you are using Netmeeting from the virtual PC you have to create.

• 4 months later...

There really should be a Darwin Awards for people who destroy their machines doing stupid things.

Thanks for your kind words :) .. how about you explain me now why MS broke NetMeeting this way in Windows 7? I know they have stopped supporting it from Vista but it did work in Vista. Why now all of a sudden it fails to run in 7 with this ugly msg?

Thanks for your kind words :) .. how about you explain me now why MS broke NetMeeting this way in Windows 7? I know they have stopped supporting it from Vista but it did work in Vista. Why now all of a sudden it fails to run in 7 with this ugly msg?

Because it probably uses components from windows that they have replaced and they dont give a damn about breaking an old ass program like netmeeting?

They took away NetMeeting but also Meeting Space which was a fine tool for P2P wireless screen sharing and meetings. I'd really like Meeting Space working on Windows 7 somehow.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if any of you guys still have issues with Netmeeting and Windows 7 but here is a semi fix for the problem. The only thing you cannot do is share your screen. But you can see others.

Set netmeeting as a virtual application. You can then start a virtual application while in Windows 7. Another item is I haven't been able to figure out how to host a netmeeting maybe I just need to type of network adatper on the virtual PC image.

But at least you can get most of netmeeting functionality.

While this isn't really a fix, its a work around, as you are not installing netmeeting on your Windows 7 image rather you are using Netmeeting from the virtual PC you have to create.

tried that but the sharing link in Office Communicator didn't work with this setup :(