which prime for the state fair?

I only want to bribg one prime lens to the fair in 2 weeks, it will mainly be a night time event. which lens would you bring, the sigma 30mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4? im leaning more towards the 30 due to a wider fov.

30 f/1.4. Wider is probably more flexible, you can probably crop into a 50mm fov with a usable sized print, and you could also get away with a lower shutter speed, although you'd probably want a flash anyway.

Depends on the body. I'd go with a 50mm equivalent focal length. Assuming you're running a full-frame sensor I'd take the 50, otherwise take the 30.

Consumer/prosumer models like the 50D or D90 will convert your 50mm into a roughly an 80mm lens which make it difficult to get good composition in a difficult environment (crowds of people blocking your path will probably force you to be closer to the subject than you'd like. You can certainly get away using a 50mm prime on a crop body, but I think the flexibility of the wider field of view is likely to be the better choice: worst case you can almost always just get closer.

You might consider renting a more versatile/fast lens than the 17-55mm a 24-70mm F/2.8 is a great all-around lens and it shouldn't cost more than $30 to pick it up for an evening.

Depends on the body. I'd go with a 50mm equivalent focal length. Assuming you're running a full-frame sensor I'd take the 50, otherwise take the 30.

Consumer/prosumer models like the 50D or D90 will convert your 50mm into a roughly an 80mm lens which make it difficult to get good composition in a difficult environment (crowds of people blocking your path will probably force you to be closer to the subject than you'd like. You can certainly get away using a 50mm prime on a crop body, but I think the flexibility of the wider field of view is likely to be the better choice: worst case you can almost always just get closer.

You might consider renting a more versatile/fast lens than the 17-55mm a 24-70mm F/2.8 is a great all-around lens and it shouldn't cost more than $30 to pick it up for an evening.

I already own a 17-55 (call me crazy, but I sold my D700/24-70 to buy a D90 and 17-55) I wanted to experiment with the D90 and video mode and I needed the money for 'other' things besides a hobby. One of the reasons I want to stick to one prime only is to see how well I do. Kind of forcing myself into the "this is the only lens you have, make it work for you" situation. Just to test my photography skills.

• 2 weeks later...