[Official] Flower - PSN title - Released!

I guess Im one of those sissy boys too but I dont drink tea, I drink coffee and I dont have pinky fingers lol :p

Well I drink all sorts but my pinky lifts anyway, odd really.

But wait a sec, don't have pinky fingers? are you missing one on each hand? lol.

Well I drink all sorts but my pinky lifts anyway, odd really.

But wait a sec, don't have pinky fingers? are you missing one on each hand? lol.

lol ok I don't know what I wrote there lol. I think I need to get some sleep. :sleep:

Well, we know AB's a sissy boy. But would the rest of us be getting it day 1 if we weren't trophywhores?

Yups :p I'm certainly not a trophy ######, I have loads of games with them, just never got around to playing them :D

Yups :p I'm certainly not a trophy ######, I have loads of games with them, just never got around to playing them :D

lookie here boys, seems we have a closet trophy ###### on our hands. :p

May as well make this the official topic seeing as the game is out next week and is still active.

It's just a PSN title, but I guess I'll put something together this weekend.

Well I'm not gonna go all out and create a huge OP for it, but it serves to keep all the discussion in one place, so it'll do (Y)

Oh I misread what you said, thought it was

May as well make the official topic seeing as the game is out next week and is still active.

Like you were telling me/someone else to go make a new topic :p

flower-20090205100958683.jpg

flower-20090205101016260.jpg

flower-20090205101019400.jpg

flower-20090205101041509.jpg

flower-20090205101054086.jpg

flower-20090205101123038.jpg

flower-20090205101126007.jpg

so yeah 1080p native and it looks (and sounds) glorious

the game is a piece of art.. so damn good

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=131

I just finished the game. There's only one word that can describe this:

Whoah.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=117

:D

Embargo lifted today, first reviews in

1UP - A

Flower's the type of game that'll probably elicit numerous reviews slinging around words like "experiential" and other such highfalutin terms. But I'd rather get straight to the point: At its basic level, you fly around. You touch flowers. Green stuff happens. But it's more than that, a lot of which probably extends past the scope of this review.

This won't be an analytical take on thatgamecompany's auteurist endeavor. Though Flower is rife with potential symbolism, I'll try to leave most of the discovery to you; it'd be a disservice to reveal the game's ending. And I can't talk about Flower's minute detailing without discussing the project as a whole -- it'd be like analyzing a half-seen movie. But I will get into what it's like playing this beautiful PSN title. Quite simply: It's fun.

Read full: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172687

IGN - 9/10

Closing Comments

thatgamecompany's Co-founder, Jenova Chen, told me that Flower is experimenting with territory outside the traditional "fun pie," an abstract pie chart Chen constructed that maps out the emotions and motives of modern game genres. If you're interested in something very unique and very powerful, Flower is a must-play. It will especially resonate with people that possess a deep connection with nature and spirituality, as it's the type of game that reaches out to us and whispers about the beauty of life -- without saying anything at all.

Read full: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/952/952529p1.html

Totalplaystation - 9/10

9.0/10.0

An absolutely brilliant game, and one that does more to stir the emotions than any AAA epic you've like played in recent memory. If this isn't art, I'm not sure games can be art.

9.0 Graphics:

Though things are deceptively simple, there's nothing like seeing some of the morphing late-game bits of landscape or soaring through the air and weaving around things. Oh, and then there's actually watching the wind affect the sea of grass. Wow.

9.5 Sound:

Absolutely briliant. The audio is so key to this game and so expertly pulled off that it wouldn't be the same game -- or even an experience -- without it. Maybe it's the BT fan in me, but I actually heard some of his more recent stuff in the music.

8.5 Control:

Things like turning around can be a little troublesome (it's far easier to just keep moving forward and then turn later), and the camera when things get a little claustrophobic can be a pain, but otherwise it works quite nicely.

9.0 Gameplay:

The actual "gameplay" here is as simple as can be, but unlike most games it actually takes a back seat to the overall experience, which is almost passive in how it's imbibed.

Read full: http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/Flower/reviews/8171

GamecinemaHD - 3.5/4

In summation, although it isn?t perfect, Flower represents some of the best innovation gaming currently has to offer. Its underlying themes are powerfully envisioned, and comment on such issues as environmental responsibility, propagation, and regeneration. No longer content to remain a popcorn medium, the new thrust in gaming finds itself engaged in the concerns of mass society. Games like Flower demonstrate that the industry is growing up. Artistic vision and revolutionary game play mechanics make the game an easy recommendation for PS3 owners looking for something other than the norm.

Read full: http://gamecinemahd.com/article/2009/02/08/flower_review

Gamezine 9/10b>

Flower challenges video game conventions by sticking to simple controls in a simple motif, but it manages to succeed in areas video games have struggled to reach since they were first invented. It's a visual and audio escape that's accessible to all ages and features freedom that will accept players of all types. Although you won't want your friends and family to interfere with your personal experience with the game, you'll certainly want to show off its high-definition visuals in public. Thatgamecompany has really hit their stride.

Read full: http://www.gamezine.co.uk/reviews/formats/...036;1267367.htm

Haters begone:punk:k:

More reviews

D-Pad - 4.5/5

It?s debatable as to whether the first half of Flower perhaps works best: it is, after all, the sense of merry abandon and pure gusto that arguably makes the title the perfect piece of ?Zen Gaming? that it claims to be. But then others will almost certainly disagree; that the second half of Flower is filled with more purpose, that it feels more like a traditional ?game?. Regardless, Flower is an epiphany moment for the SIXAXIS: a game that outright wouldn?t work without the motion controls, and one enhanced tenfold by their perfect execution. It?s a title that you?ll go back to time and time again, not only to explore concealed areas and find individual petals, but because of its intrinsically addictive and peaceful nature. Disregard Flower for its unconventionality and you?ll be missing out on one of the finest (and definitely most exquisite) titles to hit PSN so far.

Read full: http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2009/02/09/flower/[/ur90%]Jolt - 90%

But that said, within a brief visit to this magical land there is an impressive range of environments and challenges. This is easily more than a technology demo - as some accused Flow of being. As with any game like this, it is much easier to understand in the flesh than to explain. And I suggest you do just that. For a minimal investment you will find a gaming experience as elegant and subtle as any novel. And like a good novel, it is one you will want to pass on to all your friends.

Read full: http://www.jolt.co.uk/review/23277/flower/

[8/10amer - 8/10

It is, simply, a game where you want to see what happens next, because whatever does happen next will be delicate, beautiful and pleasurable, and never so hurried as to overburden the spectacle and sense of immersion. Even viewed warily through the haughtily lyrical prism of thatgamecompany's artistic mission statement, these are the characteristics of a well-designed videogame, and the torch-wielding art police would do well to encourage them rather than arguing about the designers' motivation. Not least because in this age of overblown expectation, the developer's candour and Flower's composition are honest enough to make it clear whether or not the game will appeal to you in seconds. It certainly did to me.

With all this in mind, it seems almost horrible to have to debate the price, but GBP 6.29 is the figure Sony's gone for and, although beautiful and engaging, Flower's brief, film-length experience would be better suited to something closer to flOw's original GBP 3.49, and that ultimately counts slightly against it.

Read full: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flower_4?page=1

Flower Out On PSN This Week, Go Behind The Scenes Now

Hello PlayStation blogees! We here at thatgamecompany are so stoked that this week ?Flower? will be out of our hands and into yours. A lot of people ask us what it?s been like to work with Sony, so you may have heard us answer this before - working with Sony is a treat. They truly support their developers and their games from start to finish.

I wanted to mention this as a way to introduce to you this developer diary, where SCEA?s Eric Koch and I talk about the ideas behind Flower, and show you how the gameplay works. We hope you enjoy it!

Behind the scenes video: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/09/...the-scenes-now/

Kotaku's "review" [minor plot spoilers]

Flower Micro-Review: All We Are Is Dust In The Wind

flowerhead.jpg

Flower is an odd proposition. Just like thatgamecompany's last title, flOw, it's not really a game. It's a relaxant, suited more for a 3am slump on the couch than a 3-hour session after work.

And like flOw, Flower is sure to again divide critics and gamers alike. While the basic structure of a game is present - you, uh, progress through levels towards a conclusion, and stuff ? it only takes a few seconds of playing before you realise that, basic structure or not, this is something more (or less, depending on your tastes) than a "game".

Flower sees you taking control of the wind. You begin each level with a single flower petal, and must blow the wind around like a Katamari ball, each flower the petal touches blooming to release another petal, which adds to the size of your windy, flowery mass.

And?that's it. You do that a few hundred times each level until the game ends. Sounds boring! But it's everything that happens in between that makes this game so speciaLOVEDExhale ? In Flower, you are a breeze blowing flowers through tall blades of green grass. To the accompaniment of a soothing orchestral score or sparse guitar strings. Every flower you open makes a short chiming sound, so the more adventurous can attempt to plot a synaesthetic course through the levels, arranging their own soundtrack. There are no time limits. There is no difficulty. Death is only present, briefly, in one level. Video games just do not get any more relaxing than tThis Is Not LAIRIR? Flower uses the X button to control the speed of the wind. And that's the only time you press a button. The rest of the game, from menu selection to in-game flight, is controlled by the Sixaxis, and shockingly, it works. Control is fluid and responsive, and the lack of mashing or memorising control schemes only adds to the soothing, low-key vibe of theGame Design 101 101? It's amazing that a title that so many will allude to as "art" or as some tool for relaxation can also get so many things right on the game design front. Sign-posting is a masterclass in subtlety. You'll experience tutorials that you don't realise were tutorials until you're done. They even sneak a few "boss battles" in there while you weren't looking, and the way the final level leads up to such a confrontation is the most breath-taking moment I've yet to experience on the PS3.

Granted, Flower will not be for everyone. These "artsy" PlayStation Network titles never are. But if you've had a rough day at work and really need to unwind ? and perhaps even have your mind tugged at, ever-so-slightly ? there's currently no better way to do so on the PS3 than Flower was developed by thatgamecompany and published by Sony Computer Entertainment America for the PlayStation 3 (PlayStation Network). It is due for release on February 12, and will retail for $10. Played game to completion.ompletion.

Falling hard for Flower

My online handle used to be Flower. I enjoyed the idea of ultra-competitive gamers with tags like n00bSlay3r and Death4all getting capped by someone bearing a name completely incongruous with the action taking place in the game. I imagined them sitting in their chairs wondering what sort of person would pick such a lame name just moments before seeing the words ?UrLifetAker was incinerated by Flower? scroll across their screens. I've carried an affinity for the word ever since.

Perhaps that's the reason I downloaded a new game dubbed Flower that came available on Sony's PlayStation Network this week. It's such an improbable moniker for a game released on a platform known for guns and swords that I wanted to see what it was about. I'm glad I took the risk.

Flower is an innovative, serene, and wholly delightful interactive experience. It suggests that lonely urban flowers spend their final moments before blooming dreaming of what it might be like to float on breezes over far-off fields. Players take control of this dream, guiding at first one petal, then dozens, and eventually hundreds by directing a digital draught that sends them flittering through meadows and canyons, causing other flowers to bloom, bringing colour to yellow and grey swaths of grassland, and even restoring power to dead wind turbines.

There is no heads up display, no lives to lose, no points to be won. Players simply tilt and turn Sony's motion sensitive SIXAXIS controller to control the direction from which the breeze blows, and press a single button?any button?to alter the wind's strength. It's a brilliant achievement in accessible and intuitive interface design.

What's more, the graphics are stunning. In the later moments of most stages there are hundreds?perhaps even a thousand?colourful flower petals moving through the air at any given time. And when I sent my breeze low to the ground it pushed aside hundreds of individual blades of grass like a more tranquil version of Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea. The score, composed of a series of gentle, flowing orchestral movements, completes the game's perfectly calming atmosphere.

I've never seen anything quite like Flower before. I expect the experience of floating over the countryside surrounded by flickering dabs of colour to be one that stays with me for years to come.

Standing in stark contrast to Flower's gentle rhythms is Savage Moon, another recent PlayStation Network release filled with hectic battles and cacophonous gunfire. It's the latest entry in the burgeoning tower defence genre?which is composed of games that have players building and strategically placing dozens of towers in a small area with an aim to fend off a steady stream of ever more powerful enemies?and it's one of the best I've seen.

It puts players in the shoes of a commander assigned to defend the mining facilities of several moons. All of the standard accoutrements of the category are here, including a monetary system based on the number of enemies dispatched and a wide variety of tower upgrades. However, there are also a few novel features, like the ability to increase tower armour, tower attack power, or resource collection at the expense of the other two, as well as the capability to summon fresh waves of foes before they're due to receive an economic reward. The fact that it's one of the most polished looking and professional sounding games yet made for the genre is just a bonus.

Granted, tower defence games appeal to a particular breed, and Savage Moon probably won't win any converts, buts it's worth a peek for gamers who cue to the intricacies of and strategies involved with turret construction and maintenance.

Still, if you have only a few dollars to spend on downloadable games this month, I'd recommend Flower. Even if blowing petals over grassy fields turns out not to be your cup of tea, it's an undeniably original experience you won't soon forget.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...gtgameblog0301/